Om Field: Sounds of Silence

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 02-06-2009, 09:24 PM   #1
-Om-
Special Teams

Om Field: Sounds of Silence

Sounds of Silence
Feb. 6, 2009

Three kinds of silence have been on my mind this week.

I. The one coming from Ashburn. I don’t know about you, but after the clamor of recent offseasons past, I'm finding the current calm quite comforting.

And why not? For once, all the really big questions are off the table. For better or worse, we know who is going to be owning the team, we know who is going to be generally managing it, and we know who is going to be wearing the headsets on the sidelines.

Beyond that, we know who is going to man the high profile positions on the field.

We know who is going to be the quarterback–or at least we think we do. We’re pretty sure we know who is going to be at running back. We’re pretty sure the receivers who will take the field on opening day are on the roster today.

We’re not in bad shape in the secondary, either, and we're arguably okay for at least one more year at linebacker (he says solemnly, burning incense and chanting for the continued health of one London Fletcher).

The line of scrimmage, of course–both sides–is another matter. Predictions of total disaster ahead may be overly dramatic, but there is definitely cause for concern–if not at the start of the year, certainly as another marathon season that it is grinds into December.

But the point here wasn’t to break down the roster--that’s for another day. The point is to acknowledge something or a rarity in these parts of late ... the reality that well into February, the Washington Redskins are not a nightly lead story on Sportscenter. No coaching tumult, no serious player unrest, no legal drama, nothing.

I find it ... soothing.

II. Okay, it’s another day.

This silence, despite all attempts at reason, is making me nervous ...

CLICK HERE to read more

Advertisements
Old 02-06-2009, 10:54 PM   #2
MTK
\m/

Re: Om Field: Sounds of Silence

Sorry for your loss Om.

On the topic of the "silence at Redskins Park", what exactly are you nervous about? This is a pretty typically dead time around the league.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:31 PM   #3
-Om-
Special Teams

Like I said, I'm about half serious in that part, but that part would be feeling a lot better about things if there was a sense---any sense---that this will finally be the year the Redskins pay anything more than lip service to addressing the lines.

I guess it didn't convey.
-Om- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 11:36 PM   #4
53Fan
Franchise Player

I lost a friend I've known since I was 12 last summer OM. I know how you feel and you have my deepest sympathies. I understand what your saying about the silence, but in my case I think I'm more anxious and excited than nervous. As you said, the FO is not going to show its hand, and after last year I do believe we will do something to address our needs in a reasonable way. We needed big wideouts, we got 'em. Vinny and Zorn have GOT to know we need o-line help. I believe we'll get it.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:45 PM   #5
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

I think it's going to be a very quiet offseason at Redskins Park again this year. I doubt we're going to see a big free agent signing, not much roster turnover (although this is probably the time to do it) and nothing more than our 4 picks at the draft. It's almost an over-correction to the mindless spending of the previous years.

I'm not dead but this team is dead to me...but now that McCloughan is here they may have new life!

Jay Gruden = Zorny McSpurrier
Kirk Cousins = Next Grossman
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 02:30 AM   #6
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Sorry to hear about your friend. Things should be silent right now.. the draft isn't here and free agency between teams has not yet begun.
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 08:26 AM   #7
44ever

Sorry for your loss OM.
44ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 08:39 AM   #8
-Om-
Special Teams

I appreciate the kind words, my friends. This piece was clearly a personal indulgence--it's comforting to have it so graciously received.
-Om- is offline   Reply With Quote