Training camp 2011 thread

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 08-25-2011, 11:45 AM   #856
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

Re: Training camp 2011 thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucket View Post
Quote from Barry Cofield gets me more pumped up about how our defense is starting to mold

My job is to make sure London Fletcher has 200 tackles. If he has any less than that I’ll be disappointed.”

Yes, this sort of thinking represents a major departure from Haynesworth, who wanted only to pressure the passer and make big plays. Refreshing is one word that comes to mind.

Read more at the Washington Examiner: Redskins notes: Will Landry be ready for the opener? | John Keim | NFL | Washington Examiner
Makes me want to Hug his neck!
I have listened to ints from a number of our new guys....love it. GOOD guys! Well spoken....team guys..
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-25-2011, 02:26 PM   #857
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucket View Post
I love how we finish the the same record as Dallas, and go 1-1 with them, but we are 26th or something int he power rankings as they are 15th?

People saying things like.. "Shanahan is going to wish he kept Mcnabb"

Why? So we can watch him underthrow our WR's all year again, and trip on the lineman?
One team shed their star QB in the offseason the other got their star QB back off of IR.

Dallas probably isn't as much of a contender as their fans would like to think, but I believe the reason that they've avoided criticism this offseason while the Redskins got ripped left and right is because it's very clear what the Cowboys are trying to do with their team post-Wade Phillips. They have Tony Romo and Felix Jones and Jason Witten and Miles Austin and Dez Bryant, and its clear what they expect of their offense. At best, the Redskins are asking for your hope and faith and patience while they try to show you that they haven't just wasted two years of their time. No one can really even say for sure what the Shanahan's own expectation for this group is. We've heard everything from getting into the playoffs to tanking the season for Andrew Luck from fans this offseason.

Hence comments like "Shanahan is going to wish he kept McNabb." That's not even true even if the Redskins struggle. But in the absence of a concrete plan, one liners about our QB situation cover a lot of the bases that writers need to touch on in preseason predictions.
Old 08-25-2011, 02:44 PM   #858
12thMan
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
One team shed their star QB in the offseason the other got their star QB back off of IR.

Dallas probably isn't as much of a contender as their fans would like to think, but I believe the reason that they've avoided criticism this offseason while the Redskins got ripped left and right is because it's very clear what the Cowboys are trying to do with their team post-Wade Phillips. They have Tony Romo and Felix Jones and Jason Witten and Miles Austin and Dez Bryant, and its clear what they expect of their offense. At best, the Redskins are asking for your hope and faith and patience while they try to show you that they haven't just wasted two years of their time. No one can really even say for sure what the Shanahan's own expectation for this group is. We've heard everything from getting into the playoffs to tanking the season for Andrew Luck from fans this offseason.

Hence comments like "Shanahan is going to wish he kept McNabb." That's not even true even if the Redskins struggle. But in the absence of a concrete plan, one liners about our QB situation cover a lot of the bases that writers need to touch on in preseason predictions.
The reason Dallas has avoided criticism is the constant, yearly media lovefest over the Cowboys. They ALWAYS start with the narrative that Dallas will be instantly competitive. Conversely, because of the Redskins losing track record and high profile flops over the past decade, the team usually starts with a PR deficit, if you will, and it's "wait and see" no matter who the coach is and the caliber of talent. So I don't think this is specific to Shanahan or the type of camp he's been running this year. It's a culture of losing and failing to meet expectations across the board that has perpetuated itself for many many years.

The Cowboys are bringing back the same cast (minus Roy Williams and a few others) of prima-donnas from last season. Any fair minded, objective football observer would probably agree that the Redskins have had a solid offseason. Better than Dallas'. Last season I was one of Shanny's harshest critics, but I do feel this team has a different energy and focus about itself. Of course, the game is ultimately played on the field.

No one knows what John Beck is going to give us if he indeed locks up the starting QB spot. But if I had to bet one way or another, my sense is a lot of journos are going to have some egg on their faces and eat a little crow if Mr. Beck finds his way in this offense.

Last edited by 12thMan; 08-25-2011 at 02:48 PM.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 02:56 PM   #859
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
The reason Dallas has avoided criticism is the constant, yearly media lovefest over the Cowboys. They ALWAYS start with the narrative that Dallas will be instantly competitive. Conversely, because of the Redskins losing track record and high profile flops over the past decade, the team usually starts with a PR deficit, if you will, and it's "wait and see" no matter who the coach is and the caliber of talent. So I don't think this is specific to Shanahan or the type of camp he's been running this year. It's a culture of losing and failing to meet expectations across the board that has perpetuated itself for many many years.

The Cowboys are bringing back the same cast (minus Roy Williams and a few others) of prima-donnas from last season. Any fair minded, objective football observer would probably agree that the Redskins have had a solid offseason. Better than Dallas'. Last season I was one of Shanny's harshest critics, but I do feel this team has a different energy and focus about itself. Of course, the game is ultimately played on the field.

No one knows what John Beck is going to give us if he indeed locks up the starting QB spot. But if I had to bet one way or another, my sense is a lot of journos are going to have some egg on their faces and eat a little crow if Mr. Beck finds his way in this offense.
Uh, I haven't heard the narrative that the Cowboys will be instant competitors this year. Can you even find a link to a non-local optimistic Cowboys article? The Redskins are just a much bigger national story this year than the Cowboys.

I think the idea is that they'll rebound nicely from last year but that they've got basically no chance to catch the Eagles. I don't think I know anyone who believes that there defense will improve by leaps and bounds over last season.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:15 PM   #860
12thMan
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
Uh, I haven't heard the narrative that the Cowboys will be instant competitors this year. Can you even find a link to a non-local optimistic Cowboys article? The Redskins are just a much bigger national story this year than the Cowboys.

I think the idea is that they'll rebound nicely from last year but that they've got basically no chance to catch the Eagles. I don't think I know anyone who believes that there defense will improve by leaps and bounds over last season.
I think the Cowboys are pumped up ever year. No I can't produce a "link"...(and why is everything predicated on a link all the time), but as a general rule the Cowboys are always assumed to be an upper echelon team and you rarely, if ever, hear the national media take them to task or question the direction of the organization. Yet, their playoff win record since Dan Snyder became owner is remarkably similar to the Redskins.

Last edited by 12thMan; 08-25-2011 at 03:17 PM.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 03:21 PM   #861
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
I think the Cowboys are pumped up ever year. No I can't produce a "link"...(and why is everything predicated on a link all the time), but as a general rule the Cowboys are always assumed to be an upper echelon team and you rarely, if ever, hear the national media take them to task or question the direction of the organization. Yet, their playoff win record since Dan Snyder became owner is remarkably similar to the Redskins.
I guess what I'm saying is that the Cowboys aren't pumped up by anyone this year to be more deserving of a playoff run than any other team in the NFC.

This is a Google News search for "dallas cowboys super bowl contender", sure there's an over-optimistic bleacher report link in there, but I don't think that the media is all on Dallas this year, so to speak. I think the overriding tone in the wake of their disaster season last year is: caution.

dallas cowboys super bowl contender - Google Search
Old 08-25-2011, 05:58 PM   #862
Mechanix544
The Starter

typing dallas cowboy super bowl contenders is about as accurate as googling french military victories
Text / The Complete Military History of France
Mechanix544 is offline   Reply With Quote