Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Trent Williams ends season-long holdout, rejoins Redskins

Locker Room Main Forum

Closed Thread

Old 12-31-2019, 02:56 PM   #196
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Re: Trent Williams ends season-long holdout, rejoins Redskins

I don't think Trent will settle for a one-two year extension here. That would just put him in a tougher position to get another contract being two-three years older... It's probably going to have to be 4+ years or a trade. We'll see if he even changes his stance about wanting to return, but as always, money talks and will likely be the deciding factor.

Advertisements
Old 12-31-2019, 03:09 PM   #197
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Trade him. It's time to hit the reset button on everything. Outside of our young DL, Haskins, Scheriff, McLaurin, and Guice, everybody should be expendable.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
Old 12-31-2019, 05:51 PM   #198
Warthog
The Starter

Trent has said through his friend Adrian Peterson that he is “re-considering” the Redskins as an option. The same thing has been leaked to the media through other friends. It’s a possibility IF the Redskins want it, and they should.

Trent likes Dan Snyder and has repeatedly thanked him for doing stuff like flying TW to his hospital treatment in the Redskin’s jet.

It really comes down to what Rivera wants. Trent will not take a one-year deal because he can get a far better deal in other teams. Offer him a 2 or 3 year deal with guaranteed money. That’s all he wants. The team has removed the other obstacles with the firing of BA and the medical staff.

A second round draft pick (if we trade him) or two years of TW playing very good football. Several years ago he was at the top of the NFL in this position. He’s slide a little but still in the top 25% in this critical position. There is absolutely NO GUARANTEE that a second round pick will EVER get to where Trent is now.

Finally, Trent has had a year to rest physically and mentally. Get a couple more years of play out of him, while drafting for his replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flyboy.

"Land of the Free and Home of the Brave"
Old 12-31-2019, 05:55 PM   #199
rocnrik
Playmaker

I would welcome Trent back!!
Old 01-01-2020, 01:56 AM   #200
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
I don't think Trent will settle for a one-two year extension here. That would just put him in a tougher position to get another contract being two-three years older... It's probably going to have to be 4+ years or a trade. We'll see if he even changes his stance about wanting to return, but as always, money talks and will likely be the deciding factor.

Agreed.

Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
Old 01-01-2020, 07:54 AM   #201
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
Yeah, so if his request is unreasonable then we should look to move on. But one thing we can count on going forward is a more honest negotiation and transparency...and going forward true intentions from Trent will finally become known. I also think with Rivera coming in it’s gonna be whoever is with us come together so we can move forward, those who are going put themselves above the team or have more selfish mean, we will accommodate you off the team.

He Gets Us
Old 01-01-2020, 08:15 AM   #202
EdmundDorf
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Yeah, so if his request is unreasonable then we should look to move on. But one thing we can count on going forward is a more honest negotiation and transparency...and going forward true intentions from Trent will finally become known. I also think with Rivera coming in it’s gonna be whoever is with us come together so we can move forward, those who are going put themselves above the team or have more selfish mean, we will accommodate you off the team.
I think we need to wait and see on counting on anything.....
Old 01-01-2020, 08:33 AM   #203
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmundDorf View Post
I think we need to wait and see on counting on anything.....
Really? I think the Bruce approach to negotiating and management in general will be apparent fairly early especially with the Trent issue.

He Gets Us
Old 01-01-2020, 09:00 AM   #204
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthog View Post
Trent has said through his friend Adrian Peterson that he is “re-considering” the Redskins as an option. The same thing has been leaked to the media through other friends. It’s a possibility IF the Redskins want it, and they should.

Trent likes Dan Snyder and has repeatedly thanked him for doing stuff like flying TW to his hospital treatment in the Redskin’s jet.

It really comes down to what Rivera wants. Trent will not take a one-year deal because he can get a far better deal in other teams. Offer him a 2 or 3 year deal with guaranteed money. That’s all he wants. The team has removed the other obstacles with the firing of BA and the medical staff.

A second round draft pick (if we trade him) or two years of TW playing very good football. Several years ago he was at the top of the NFL in this position. He’s slide a little but still in the top 25% in this critical position. There is absolutely NO GUARANTEE that a second round pick will EVER get to where Trent is now.

Finally, Trent has had a year to rest physically and mentally. Get a couple more years of play out of him, while drafting for his replacement.

Rivera is a football coach; therefore, I think we already know what he wants: A dependable LT to protect his QB's blind side. Every HC wants that. I would not be surprised if one of the first things Rivera does in his new job is to take Danny by the hand, jump in Redskins One and fly to Houston to kiss and make up with Trent Williams.
Old 01-01-2020, 09:56 AM   #205
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Really? I think the Bruce approach to negotiating and management in general will be apparent fairly early especially with the Trent issue.
I'd give him 4 years, increase the guaranteed money in the first 2 years but also give us a way out after 2 with minimal dead cap in case he keeps getting injured.
Old 01-01-2020, 10:11 AM   #206
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
I'd give him 4 years, increase the guaranteed money in the first 2 years but also give us a way out after 2 with minimal dead cap in case he keeps getting injured.
His issue, at least a main one was being under contract with no guarantee. With that in mind maybe make the 3rd year guaranteed for injury

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Old 01-01-2020, 11:50 AM   #207
Warthog
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
Rivera is a football coach; therefore, I think we already know what he wants: A dependable LT to protect his QB's blind side. Every HC wants that. I would not be surprised if one of the first things Rivera does in his new job is to take Danny by the hand, jump in Redskins One and fly to Houston to kiss and make up with Trent Williams.

Bingo! Excellent analysis. By re-signing Trent, Scherff and Flowers we’ve stabilized the entire OL situation for next season. For depth you have Martin, who is doing well. However, it’s time to invest draft picks into the OL - as Christian is a flop. I personally think Moses is one of the players we need to drop. So investing our third round pick an OT might be a good use of resources.

Flyboy.

"Land of the Free and Home of the Brave"
Old 01-01-2020, 11:56 AM   #208
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthog View Post
Bingo! Excellent analysis. By re-signing Trent, Scherff and Flowers we’ve stabilized the entire OL situation for next season. For depth you have Martin, who is doing well. However, it’s time to invest draft picks into the OL - as Christian is a flop. I personally think Moses is one of the players we need to drop. So investing our third round pick an OT might be a good use of resources.

I think Christian played well this year...he looks better on the right side versus left. I would plan on Moses/Christian for this coming year on the right side.

He Gets Us
Old 01-01-2020, 12:16 PM   #209
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

Some people make no sense here. I wonder if the same people complaining about the burned up money on injured players like Alex Smith, Jordan Reed, Vernon Davis, etc,etc, want to extend a player who will be 32 with a history of multiple nagging injuries with a 4 year deal with a good chunk of guaranteed money.
Old 01-01-2020, 12:33 PM   #210
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Bob View Post
Some people make no sense here. I wonder if the same people complaining about the burned up money on injured players like Alex Smith, Jordan Reed, Vernon Davis, etc,etc, want to extend a player who will be 32 with a history of multiple nagging injuries with a 4 year deal with a good chunk of guaranteed money.
Well, I think you have consider he’s probably a top 3 left tackle in the game. Health and age is certainly a concern and should be a main issue when/if we negotiate a deal with TW to comeback. That’s why you can’t go crazy money or a long term deal.

He Gets Us
Closed Thread