Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

New Voice

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 02-26-2004, 11:47 PM   #16
cpayne5
Playmaker

"I'm really disappointed. It's not the way you expect it to end. You'd like to walk off into the sunset and let it be your decision. But I've got a lot to be thankful for. I've called three Super Bowl championships, 498 consecutive games over 25 years and it was a great run. I'm still a good broadcaster. If I want to find another play-by-play job, I'd like to think someone might want to hire me." -- Frank Herzog

Geez. I thought he was gonna be there till he died. This is a sad day. I won't be listening to Sonny Sam & Larry this year. I'll watch the games in silence, as I can't stand the tv guys.

Advertisements
Old 02-27-2004, 07:19 AM   #17
irish
Playmaker

The skins are WJFK radio (106.7 FM) and that is who made the move, not the skins. The reason was they wanted to consolidate their redskin coverage and get a younger voice.

That said I think it is a big mistake for the redskins to let this happen. There was no need to do it and like everyone has said sonny, sam & frank are the redskins to a lot of people. The redskins are heavily mortgaged with the goodwill of the DC area and this is another draw on that account. They better win something fast.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 08:34 AM   #18
HTTR
Special Teams

One other item mentioned in the WP story is that the move from Frank to Larry will save WJFK money. Hey guys, the broadcasting business ain't that different from the sports business -- if you can get a decent younger guy in there who doesn't cost you as much money, you do it.

I'll miss Frank on the radio, but Larry Michael is a hometown boy from Silver Spring who loves the Skins as much as we all do, and he's not a bad announcer. Herzog had a good 25 years, and maybe we'll feel the same way about Larry in a couple of decades.

To be honest, I'm still pissed that the Skins are on JFK at all. I just can't get that station on any of my walkman radios when I'm raking the leaves. (Though I hope to be raking a lot less in the next few seasons.)
HTTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 11:31 AM   #19
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

It's a sad day in DC when Frank Herzog won't be doing play-by-play...I mean, I took First Communion with his daughter...and not too long ago, I saw him eating dinner at That's Amore in Gaithersburg...we've got history

I'm with matty...his simple but classic TD phrase will be sorely missed. I have nothing against Larry Michael, he'll do great. However, unfortunately for him, he's no Frank Herzog!

From the Front page of Friday, Feb. 27th's Sports Section

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 11:42 AM   #20
Defensewins
Playmaker

Here is a link to Cameron Gray, WJFK Operations Director at clgray@wjfkfm.com
Please send her some nasty email about firing Herzog! I just sent her one.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 12:18 PM   #21
cpayne5
Playmaker

I'll always remember "and we're underway at RFK". Good times.