Glory days

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 10-28-2009, 12:48 AM   #16
SouperMeister
Playmaker

Re: Glory days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensewins View Post
My favorite Redskins moment. Our NFC Championship game against Dallas. THis was the game that told the nation the Redskins have arrived! We beat to a pulp the famed doomsday defense.
This was the famous game Grimm changed Gibbs playcalls in the huddle near the end of the game to run right at HOF'er Randy White and run out the clock.
We do not have that physical play anymore.
YouTube - Washington Redskins-Diesel destroys Dallas!
Thanks for the YouTube memory! What a glorious time that was to be a Redskins fan. Our young O-line really jelled into a dominant unit that post-season. I still say that we could have had the 2nd coming of the Hogs had Marty drafted Steve Hutchinson over Rod Gardner. A young Hutch, lined up next to Samuels would have been completely sick.
SouperMeister is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 10-28-2009, 09:03 AM   #17
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Great memories guys! You remember the punter we had in the early 80's? Haynes? The dude was a threat to fake the punt and take off running. One of the few punters other teams feared.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:05 AM   #18
Longtimefan
Playmaker

These are some of the moments that make what we're witnessing now so challenging. Hopefully, in my lifetime there will come a time when we will return to some semblence of then.

Good work Matty.
Longtimefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 10:20 AM   #19
dblanch66
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
God we need a RB like Riggins, he was an even better Marion Barber!!
Marion Barber?? He couldn't hold Riggins' jock.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:27 AM   #20
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrustyRedskin View Post
I always liked the no namers that always played so hard!!!!
Mel Kaufman
Neil Olkeiwitz
Martin Mayhew
Curtis Jordan
Kurt Gouvea
Don Warren
Clint Didier
Barry Wilburn
Alvin Walton (my fav)
Where's Mark Murphy
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 10:34 AM   #21
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouperMeister View Post
RFK. It may have been a dump, but it was our dump, and there wasn't a louder stadium in the NFL. I've attended huge games at both (most recently the 2005 win over the Giants) and FedEx doesn't even come close in terms of ear splitting volume. I hope that acoustics are taken into consideration for the next stadium, because we've lost much of our home field advantage since moving.
I went to several games at RFK, and have been to several more at FedEx, and it's not even close. RFK was certainly was an old dump, but it was a magical place.

My first game was in 1987 when the Skins played the Lions. Up 20-13 going into the 4th quarter, there wasn't a fan sitting and the stadium rocked for the entire quarter. I remember the noise of the platforms leading from the concourse to the seats sounds like thunder. Chuck Long was the Lions QB, and I think he threw 1 or 2 picks (of 4) in the 4th quarter. I just remember how awesome it was, and how awesome it was each time I went thereafter. You just don't get that feeling, that aweness at FedEx.

So many fond memories of this team...

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 10:47 AM   #22
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinDogg View Post
Get to 4:00 on this one (playoffs v. Atlanta...it was about effing cold and rained the entire time, one of favorite RFK memories). Anyway, I was in my early 20s during the glory years, and hope those of you of the same age today get a taste of this. You so deserve it.
If I remember correctly it was this game that Rypien threw a late INT (game was already out of reach) to Deion. On the INT return, Rypien ROCKED Deion. That was one I'll never forget, great hit by Rypien and I couldn't stand Deion even back then. Couldn't find the clip on YouTube.
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 11:24 AM   #23
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingin Sammy 33 View Post
If I remember correctly it was this game that Rypien threw a late INT (game was already out of reach) to Deion. On the INT return, Rypien ROCKED Deion. That was one I'll never forget, great hit by Rypien and I couldn't stand Deion even back then. Couldn't find the clip on YouTube.
Yeah I remember that play well too. Rypien stuck him good and make a textbook tackle.
Old 10-28-2009, 11:33 AM   #24
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimefan View Post
These are some of the moments that make what we're witnessing now so challenging. Hopefully, in my lifetime there will come a time when we will return to some semblence of then.

Good work Matty.
Longtime, do you remember these?

Old 10-28-2009, 11:37 AM   #25
Defensewins
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingin Sammy 33 View Post
Yeah I remember they started celebrating, typical Deion and his low rent teammates, they were celebrating like the play won them the game. Safety's Danny Copeland and Brad Edwards interrupted their celebrations rather physically, grabbed them and pointed to the scoreboard. Reminded them they were losing something like 24-7. It shut them up qucily, funniest moment of the game.
I remember there were numerous Atlanta area stars (musicians,boxer, etc) on the sidelines line at RFK. SoOme of the Redskins later said they took offense to that.
Man how times have changed. The Joe Gibbs Redskins teams were classy.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 12:09 PM   #26
Longtimefan
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Longtime, do you remember these?

Smack, you have me summoning the depths of my memory. Much of the early and mid 40's I always relied on my Father, and my Uncle to tell me about because I didn't go to my first Redskin game until the 49-50 season. When we played that championship game against the Bears I was only four yrs. old.

My Father would always tell me about Ray Flaherty, and how great the Redskins were in the years immediately following the start of the war. Ray Flaherty then, was our Joe Gibbs now.

That's really good stuff though,and makes me think a long way back.
Longtimefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 12:28 PM   #27
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Some of you are simply pissed cause you never had this and have no idea what it feels like. The rest of us are pissed cause we know what it feels like and wonder "what the hell happened?" Usually teams have a small dry spell till they pick up players in needed positions but we have been on a drought.

I can remember every one of the SB's in the 80's. I can remember being in high school and our marching band was invited to play in the Parade. Oh, I'm sorry guys some of you might not know what a SB parade is. LOL. I try not to think about what has happened to the team too much cause I sit back and get pissed looking at the product we have now and comparing it to what we had then.

You youngins don't know what you are missing. They only thing the rest of us can share is ....it's like the best day you have ever had at work after a Skins major victory X 100.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 01:33 PM   #28
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsanePianist View Post
Speaking of the glory days, what happened to our home white socks? I might be the only one alive who gives a damn, but our home uniforms just looked better with the white socks and not those solid burgundy ones. Sorry. And I had no idea where to put this... it had just been irking me lol
Ha...I actually share this pet peeve. We need the striped socks back.

Thankfully I remember watching SB XXII and XXVI.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:48 PM   #29
InsanePianist
Special Teams

I was born in '89 so unfortunately I have no clue what you old guys are talking about... it is sad though.

I've watched all three super bowls over and over and over again. My whole life I've been watching highlights of those super bowls. It's the only thing I've got to hang on to lol
InsanePianist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 01:57 PM   #30
MTK
\m/

They've worn the striped socks this year