Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Holmgren: Redskins's Treatment of Zorn Was Wrong

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 11-02-2009, 03:45 PM   #1
Redskin Warrior
The Starter

Holmgren: Redskins's Treatment of Zorn Was Wrong

NFL.com Blogs » Blog Archive Holmgren: Redskins’ treatment of Zorn was wrong «

Well he will mostly likely not be coach or GM now!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
First they ban winning...now this?
Redskin Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 11-02-2009, 03:48 PM   #2
Trample the Elderly
Playmaker

Re: Holmgren: Redskins's Treatment of Zorn Was Wrong

What else is new?
Old 11-02-2009, 03:50 PM   #3
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

But then again Marty said he'd never work for Snyder

Still, like I mentioned in another thread (smart idea to start a new thread on this by the way), it just seems unlikely because I think it'd be too big a change for Holmgren to go from Paul Allen to Dan Snyder.

I also have a feeling that Holmgren could end up as the new President in Cleveland. Total gut feeling, based on nothing
Old 11-02-2009, 03:51 PM   #4
MTK
\m/

He's speaking the truth. Still can't rule him out just based on these comments though.
Old 11-02-2009, 03:53 PM   #5
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskin Warrior View Post
This could be his way of turning down the offer before it was even extended. I always wondered if he'd take the job after we canned Zorn.
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 04:08 PM   #6
freddyg12
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryfuhl View Post
This could be his way of turning down the offer before it was even extended. I always wondered if he'd take the job after we canned Zorn.
Or his way of making a statement publicly rather than telling DS personally during an interview. That way, if he is interviewed, he can say, 'you already know how I feel about the way Jim was treated...'
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 04:12 PM   #7
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

I never felt he was much of a fit for the Redskins anyways. The sense I always got from him was that he wanted to be THE guy/face of an organization and Snyder won't let that happen. I'm still expecting a Shanahan or Gruden/Allen move in early January.

I'm not dead but this team is dead to me...but now that McCloughan is here they may have new life!

Jay Gruden = Zorny McSpurrier
Kirk Cousins = Next Grossman
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 04:13 PM   #8
BringBackJoeT
Impact Rookie

I actually think that Holmgren's comments shouldn't be construed to be any indication of his willingness to come to Washington.

The fact is that the opinion that Zorn was mistreated in having his play calling duties removed is somewhat universal. Given this, and the fact that Holmgren worked with Zorn in Seattle, a failure by Holmgren to say anything negative about it when asked might make him look like he's pandering to the Washington front office in the hope of keeping himself in the successor discussion, even if he actually believes that it was the right move. His comments were basic--that Zorn didn't deserve the treatment. That's nothing that can't be smoothed over in a contract discussion. As has been pointed out, Marty's comments were more pointed before he accepted the job.
BringBackJoeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 04:18 PM   #9
Longtimefan
Playmaker

Certainly does not come as surprise from someone who had Zorn in his employ for so long. If that's his feeling, it's difficult to argue with him.
Longtimefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 04:24 PM   #10
12thMan
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackJoeT View Post
I actually think that Holmgren's comments shouldn't be construed to be any indication of his willingness to come to Washington.

The fact is that the opinion that Zorn was mistreated in having his play calling duties removed is somewhat universal. Given this, and the fact that Holmgren worked with Zorn in Seattle, a failure by Holmgren to say anything negative about it when asked might make him look like he's pandering to the Washington front office in the hope of keeping himself in the successor discussion, even if he actually believes that it was the right move. His comments were basic--that Zorn didn't deserve the treatment. That's nothing that can't be smoothed over in a contract discussion. As has been pointed out, Marty's comments were more pointed before he accepted the job.
Agreed. At the end of the day the NFL is a business and these guys are professionals. I wouldn't read too much into any comments flying around between now and the end of the season.

Maybe Holmgren is, indeed, interested in the job but he's sort of drawing a line in the sand. Truth be told, that's the kind of guy Snyder needs around here. I'm not endorsing Holmgren, per se. I'm just saying.

The good thing about all of this is that is out in the open now. Everything. Our lack of depth, the lack of quality starters at certain positions, the coaching and bad management. Dan Snyder needs to change the way he's been doing business. He knows it, the fans knows, the entire NFL knows it. No one really cares about Zorn anymore. Isn't that odd? In a weird kinda of way, Jim Zorn's not on the hot seat anymore.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 04:31 PM   #11
SouperMeister
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
Agreed. At the end of the day the NFL is a business and these guys are professionals. I wouldn't read too much into any comments flying around between now and the end of the season.

Maybe Holmgren is, indeed, interested in the job but he's sort of drawing a line in the sand. Truth be told, that's the kind of guy Snyder needs around here. I'm not endorsing Holmgren, per se. I'm just saying.

The good thing about all of this is that is out in the open now. Everything. Our lack of depth, the lack of quality starters at certain positions, the coaching and bad management. Dan Snyder needs to change the way he's been doing business. He knows it, the fans knows, the entire NFL knows it. No one really cares about Zorn anymore. Isn't that odd? In a weird kinda of way, Jim Zorn's not on the hot seat anymore.
So true. Being a half glass full kind of guy, I'm happy to accept a 3 win season if it means that Snyder FINALLY recognizes his role in this embarrassment, and then brings in real football people to fix his mess. Most importantly, he must learn to stay the hell out of the way, because his handling of Zorn has killed what little credibility that we might have had with top coaching candidates.
SouperMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 04:32 PM   #12
Son Of Man
Impact Rookie

personally, I didn't want Holmgren here anyway. He has just appeared to be somewhat lacks the last few years. The day of the laid back coach in Washington needs to end. We need a firm hand to steady this ship. I wouldlean toward a defensive minded coach who brings in a stellar OC to focus solely on the O. Or I'll take Shanahan or Gruden and give Jerry gray the DC job.
Old 11-02-2009, 04:33 PM   #13
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

People it doesnt matter who coaches here. Dan Snyder and Vinny are the Problems! Not Dan so much, but still nobody is going to make a difference if things keep going the way they are.

I wanted Jon Gruden as coach but that's not going to happen. But I agree with Mike Holmgren. They've abused Jim Zorn.
Old 11-02-2009, 04:47 PM   #14
12thMan
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake84 View Post
People it doesnt matter who coaches here. Dan Snyder and Vinny are the Problems! Not Dan so much, but still nobody is going to make a difference if things keep going the way they are.

I wanted Jon Gruden as coach but that's not going to happen. But I agree with Mike Holmgren. They've abused Jim Zorn.
I think everyone here acknowledges that Dan Snyder needs to change the way he does business. And let me tell you, Zorn 'aint exactly crying as he'll be getting all of his contract. I could take a little of abuse for five mil!

As far as coaches go, I'm so much caught up on who he brings here as much as how he's brought here.

The choice has to be made in concert with the GM, if not by the GM himself. Everything needs to be snyched properly this time. That's what I'm looking for. I could care less about the name of the person. Let's face it, Snyder has a lot of money and there are few unemployed and employed coaches that will be available when the time comes.

I think the PR part of this will be extremely important too. The perception has to be created from jump street that Dan Snyder has learned his lesson and is handing the operation over to bonafide football men.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 05:13 PM   #15
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

This doesnt mean a thing. My understanding is that the decision to take Zorn's playcalling duties away was Cerrato's and Cerrato's alone. If Cerrato's gone, all bets are off.

Personally, I see the "Big 4" coaching in the following teams next year:

Cowher/Carolina - No brainer.

Gruden/Dallas - Jerry would probably rather have Shanahan, but I don't see him giving Shanahan the kind of control he'd probably want. If nothing else, I don't think Shanahan would want Jones being Owner/GM. He'd either want full control himself or the authority to bring in his own personnel guy. Gruden couldn't care less, so I think he gets the job.

Shanahan/Washington - I think Snyder fires Cerrato and either gives Shanahan total control or allows him to bring in his own personnel guy to be GM.

Holmgren/??? - In my mind, he's the least attractive of all the guys out there for a coaching position, and I don't think he takes a head coaching job anywhere next year if its not "high profile." Dallas and Washtingon are the only "high profile" jobs I see opening up next year. Cleavland, Buffalo, Tampa Bay, Jacksonville, and Oakland simply arent attractive enough. In the end, I think he'll consider taking GM potiions in one of those citie, or perhaps even in washington. Now, if Philly collapses as the year goes on, its possible Reid gets fired and Holmgren would be the perfect fit there, but I don't see that coming. The real wild card here is San Francisco. I dont think the job becomes available, but if it does, Thats where i think he'll end up. at the end of the day, none of that is realy likely, so I think he either stays retired or returns to Seattle and takes a GM role there until an attractive HC position opens up somewhere else.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote