Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

WP:Bailey's Contract

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 02-26-2004, 09:48 PM   #1
Cush
Impact Rookie

WP:Bailey's Contract

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2004Feb26.html

Bailey is negotiating a six-year contract worth roughly $50 million, including a conventional signing bonus of $16 million to $18 million.
Cush is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 02-26-2004, 09:56 PM   #2
rome108
Special Teams

Whooaa

Whooaaa, hold the phone. Near the end of the article it says:

"The Jets reportedly have offered various proposals, including their first-round pick (12th overall) and reserve tailback Lamont Jordan."

A first rounder (12th overall) is a helluva lot better than Portis (i'm still not crazy about this guy's attitute) and US giving THEM a 2nd rounder.

I think Danny Boy needs to heat up talks with the Jets on this one. Think about it, two 1st rounders (5 &12) and a 2nd rounder. We can get two awesome defensive guys with the 1st rounders and an RB in the 2nd. Anyone else agree with me?

Last edited by rome108; 02-26-2004 at 10:15 PM.
rome108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 10:20 PM   #3
Gmanc711
Thank You, Sean.

I agree that a 5&12 would be nice, but I HIIGHLY disagree that a #12 pick is anywhere near landing Clintion Portis. I mean are you crazy, who exactly do you want to pick with that number 12 that would be better than Clinton Portis? I havent heard about his additude problems, I'm all for the Denver trade.
Gmanc711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 10:25 PM   #4
rome108
Special Teams

Yes, I am crazy, but that's besides the point.

I heard he had an attitute at Miami and he isn't the most loved guy on the Denver roster, some teammates don't like his "me" attitute, ala TO. Besides, I'm not convinced this guy is the real deal after reading so much about how Denver's line was a big reason for his success. And I still gotta say giving Champ and the 2nd is too much. Portis for Champ straight up would be okay.

Last edited by rome108; 02-26-2004 at 11:12 PM.
rome108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 10:56 PM   #5
redwagonskins
Impact Rookie

Hold the phone is right. We go from Portis and losing a 2nd rounder to Jordan (a lot of scouts think he's got potential...but that's not the story) and getting #12 and keeping our 2nd round pick? Man, oh, man, I wouldn't like to have to make this decision. We could get Williams and a back like Greg Jones or a D-line player like the guy from USC. There will still be plenty of picks in the 2nd too (Clarett? Just Kidding...He's the second coming of Lawrence Phillips...without the talent).
redwagonskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 11:05 PM   #6
skins009
Impact Rookie

I agree with rome108 again we would be overpaying for a good player. Plus i'm not sure Portis is quite big enough, even though he is a hell of a player however you look at it. Personally if i was running the show i would try to get the jets first round pick,and Gregg Ellis, for champ and Rod Gardner. I think that would be a fair deal, and the Jets need a WR with size.
skins009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 11:12 PM   #7
sportscurmudgeon
Playmaker

Please notice that the deal that Champ is trying to get from Denver is a six year deal. The Skins offer was originally a nine year deal and then came down to eight. The length of the deal was a major sticking point in the entire negotiation with the Skins.

Also, please notice that they are talking about a signing bonus of $16M. (Actually, I heard it would be $15.5M but at that level what the hell is another half-million among friends?) The Washington offer was for $13M at first and then $14M.

People here were angry that Champ did not take the Skins offer and some said he would never get anything more than that on the open market. At the moment - and all the bidding isn't quite done - he will be at least $1.5M higher in signing bonus and will make about $50M over 6 years instead of $58M over 9 years.

Of course, he'll never see the last years of the deal in Denver just as he would not have ever seen the years at the end of the deal the skins offered. The important advantage to Champ about the Denver offer is more money in the bank immediately and a shorter time until his cap number becomes a burden and he can renegotiate for another hefty signing bonus.

That's today's NFL Economics 101 from the Pro Bowlers perspective...
sportscurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 02:30 AM   #8
offiss

If the jet's are offering a #12 and a player I would take it in a heartbeat, but I would rather get ellis, jordan look's to me like a good career backup, I could be wrong but that is my first impression, portis comes with a serious attitude, and I still say he is a product of the system in denver, we can take jones with the #12 taylor with #5 and still have our 2nd rd pick for a d-lineman we could also deal down a bit with the 12 and get an additional pick and still get jones out of fla. st., I hope this happens I just see portis as being a big mistake!
offiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 05:59 AM   #9
Sheriff Gonna Getcha
Franchise Player

Let's begin our math class, open your books to Chapter 11,

Clinton Portis - 2nd round pick > 1st round pick + LaMont Jordan

LaMont Jordan....yeah he'd be great we don't have enough backups warming the bench for a real running back. 1st rounder=Portis, okay find me ANY first rounder worth Clinton Portis, so far I don't see one. This guy is sick. It's not just the system, has anyone seen how this guy can move? Plus he's a good blocker.
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 06:40 AM   #10
Gmanc711
Thank You, Sean.

C. Portis + Sean Taylor + New D Line = Wins
Old 02-27-2004, 08:48 AM   #11
Beemnseven
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramseyfan
Let's begin our math class, open your books to Chapter 11,

Clinton Portis - 2nd round pick > 1st round pick + LaMont Jordan

LaMont Jordan....yeah he'd be great we don't have enough backups warming the bench for a real running back. 1st rounder=Portis, okay find me ANY first rounder worth Clinton Portis, so far I don't see one. This guy is sick. It's not just the system, has anyone seen how this guy can move? Plus he's a good blocker.
Your equation is missing an element, it should read:

Clinton Portis - 2nd round pick < 1st rounder + Lamont Jordan + 2nd rounder
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 09:11 AM   #12
Sheriff Gonna Getcha
Franchise Player

Actually you wouldn't add the 2nd round pick onto the other side of the equation since it has already been factored in on the left side. Trust me, I'm Asian I'm good at math.
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 09:27 AM   #13
Gmanc711
Thank You, Sean.

Washington Redskins> REST OF NFL
Old 02-27-2004, 10:38 AM   #14
redwagonskins
Impact Rookie

Ramseyfan - that's some funny stuff. I'm running these various equations up to CALTECH today.
redwagonskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 11:21 AM   #15
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

right, the equation factored out should look like this:

Clinton Portis < LaMont Jordan + 1st Round

Yes Portis has rushed for 5 yards a touch behind a great offensive line that is known to be dirtier than Ric Flair (wooooooooooooo)...Jordan has potential to be a good stable back, and we'd have some leverage with 2 first round picks. There are several quality RBs in the draft this year (Jackson, K. Jones, Perry, Cobbs, G. Jones, Turner) that we could pick up in the 2nd round (Portis was a 2nd round pick for a reason). If the O-Line gets better and better, you could have our grandmothers run behind it and be successful.

To me, we would be overpaying for Portis...but with the disappointments i've seen over the last 10 years since Gibbs left...my hopes aren't up...

Ideally, we further our Jetskins name, pick up Jordan and a 1st rounder...get Taylor at #5, defensive lineman at #12, RB in 2nd round...drop Betts and/or Candidate, and get ready for the season.

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote