Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Wft quarterback of the future

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-15-2020, 11:30 AM   #61
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Re: Wft quarterback of the future

When I comes to how the defense improved...benching Apke and losing Collins and adding Cole Holcomb to the lineup has been the difference period.

Also, chase young groin injury seems to finally healed. You can see a bump in his play

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-15-2020, 11:47 AM   #62
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Well, the title of this thread is "WFT quarterback of the future". I will agree that Smith is not the future of this team. But he is winning now, and he has won since he got here with or without a great defense, o-line, running game...

The best case scenario is they can draft a QB1 next spring. It's not out of the question. Very good QBs can come outside of the top 20 picks in the draft.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 11:55 AM   #63
skinsfan69
Living Legend

The defense won the game last week all by themselves. Smith started it and he will get credit for a ''win" but he really had nothing to do with it. The WL record of the QB is the worst stat in football.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 12:14 PM   #64
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
The defense won the game last week all by themselves. Smith started it and he will get credit for a ''win" but he really had nothing to do with it. The WL record of the QB is the worst stat in football.
The defense definitely won that game, but the backup QB almost lost it too - even with how good the defense was. If DH had given that ball away and SF ended up winning, he would get the loss and the blame, and it would be warranted. So I wouldn't go that far.

In the end it's the wins and losses that matter, and whoever the QB is either gets all the credit, or all the blame. It's just the way it is and always has been.
Old 12-15-2020, 12:29 PM   #65
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

say what you want about win loss record and the qb, but from 2018 til now this team are 10 and 4 with Smith starting, and 5 and 25 with him not starting. He makes the offense not putrid. No that is not high praise and we need to find a longterm future qb, but if he gets past this calf issue, AS can be penciled in as a viable starting point to build from.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 12:48 PM   #66
MTK
\m/

No, you can't just ignore Smith's W/L record here. Somehow the team wins more often than not when he's in the lineup, it's just a fact.
Old 12-15-2020, 01:04 PM   #67
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Since taking over as the starter, Smith is 4-1 and the team is averaging 26.8 points, which ranks seventh in the NFL since Week 10.

It's been a team effort / complementary football.
Old 12-15-2020, 01:07 PM   #68
Meks
Pro Bowl

lol @ dak prescott.... FUCK NO.
R.I.P #21SEAN TAYLOR
Meks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 01:26 PM   #69
Number44
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohioskins View Post
I just don't see how we get any of the top 4 QB's in the draft. We will not pick high enough.
Well, if the "consensus" ranking turns out being wrong, like in most years, we certainly can. Personally, I rank the guys that the "consensus" have ranked 5 and 6 at 3 and 4. The 2 QBs in the SEC title game are really, really good, IMO, and both are likely to be available when WFT picks, unless the rumors that Elway loves Jones are true and Denver takes him round 1. Jones and Trask are both having seasons comparable to Burrow's 2019 season. To downgrade these 2 because they happen to play with very good teammates, while ignoring that they also play against very good players, seems silly to me. Playing with and against bigger, stronger, faster, better players every game is a plus, IMO, not a minus.

Man, if we get either Jones or Trask, I'll be happy. Either one would benefit by watching and learning from Alex Smith to begin their NFL career. Seems to have worked out fairly well for Mahomes.
Number44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 02:41 PM   #70
Ohioskins
Special Teams

Jone may be available in the middle of the first round. But I think Lawrence, Fields and Trask will all go pretty early in the draft.
Ohioskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 03:17 PM   #71
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meks View Post
lol @ dak prescott.... FUCK NO.
Yup. Dak = Kirk Cousins Pt. II
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 03:18 PM   #72
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

There's a lot of maneuvering that can be done. If they are not sold on DH, and there's a QB they really like who slips more than expected in the draft, I can see them moving up to get him. Especially if they are able to fill some holes in free agency. It worked out with Sweat. At the time I wasn't a fan of giving up a 2nd, but it appears to be a steal now.
Old 12-15-2020, 03:24 PM   #73
EdmundDorf
The Starter

Seems like a lot of teams eyeing QBs, obviously Lawrence and Fields are out of reach even for a trade up if the opportunity arose. Lance and Wilson gone in the top ten, Trask and Jones likely by pick 20, if our front office loves one of the four I am OK with trading up because they have the foundations of a good team with one or two free agents added, so they can afford to invest a large chunk of draft picks in a franchise player if thoff-season they really love. I think, like many here, I am at ease with whatever RR wants to do because for the first time in a verrrry long time I actually trust the judgment of the front office, which makes for a far less stressful offseason.
EdmundDorf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 03:26 PM   #74
EdmundDorf
The Starter

Dallas, San Diego and Cincinnati have great chance of trading down for big haul of picks when the 6-15 teams looking for QBs start panicking
EdmundDorf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 03:32 PM   #75
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmundDorf View Post
Dallas, San Diego and Cincinnati have great chance of trading down for big haul of picks when the 6-15 teams looking for QBs start panicking
Dallas might just choose to reboot and grab their own rookie QB. Looks like they will be drafting in the top 5. They haven't shown any love for Dak, and now that he's had this injury, I wouldn't be surprised if they decided to move on. They have more needs than the WFT, and have a ton of $$ tied up in Cooper, Elliott, Lawrence, the O-line...they may not want to shell out what it will take to bring him back.