Who Don’t You Want at 11?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 04-26-2022, 10:26 AM   #46
EdmundDorf
The Starter

Re: Who Don’t You Want at 11?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GridIron26 View Post
I'm not against this idea. Although don't forget, draft is crapshoot.. Just because we draft a highly ranked DL, it does not necessarily mean he will automatically replace a proven vet's production. The worst scenario would be drafting a DL and trading away Payne/Sweat, only to realize that the rookie is not on the same level as Payne/Sweat.
Very true, however this has appeared

Ben Standig
@BenStandig
·
1h
There's a potential twist entering this week's NFL Draft with the Commanders not expected to extend DT Daron Payne, adding uncertainty to the 2018 first-round pick's future in Washington.
EdmundDorf is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-26-2022, 10:29 AM   #47
EdmundDorf
The Starter

For the record this information hadn't , as far as I know, come out before my original post
EdmundDorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 10:57 AM   #48
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonniey View Post
No TE worthy of a #11 pick? I totally agree with you. I'm just reminiscing of the time just 2 months ago where people were vehemently arguing to draft a player at another position which also doesn't have any players worthy of the #11 in this draft.
I'm guessing you are talking about the QB position. We all know, as the draft date nears, the QB position becomes more and more "worthy" of a higher pick.

Months ago there was no QB worthy of a 1st round grade. Lately you see as many as four going in the top 10 in some mocks. I still think none of them are worth a pick in the top 10, but it is one position that is perennially over-drafted.

This year is interesting though, considering how much QB movement has happened already. I honestly don't know what to expect on Thursday.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 12:18 PM   #49
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
FWIW, I saw a site that claimed to have the inside information on the #11 pick. According to this site, five players are under consideration, in this order: WR Drake London, S/LB Kyle Hamilton, WR Jameson Williams, WR Garret Wilson, and WR Chris Olave. If none of these players is on the board, then they will attempt to trade down.
If this much detail came out via 'inside' sources, rest assured it was intended to be leaked. You never hear leaks with this much detail. The FWIW qualifier came in handy here because it's worth bubkis.
Old 04-26-2022, 12:37 PM   #50
AnonEmouse
The Starter

My thinking on picking up a WR @ 11 is do we actually need a top WR that much? On the one hand Samuel is something of an unknown still; he might come off his injury and explode this year or he might be a bust. If the former, drafting a WR with other needs to be addressed could be seen as a massive luxury. On the other hand, if he's still not 100% we could hamstring Wentz with maybe 1 or 2 guys to target instead of 3-5.

But, we can probably get a guy that could draw coverage away from McLaurin without having to take that guy @ 11. Hence why I'd take Hamilton if he's still there (difference maker in teh secondary) or trade down a few spots at least to get capital AND still get a good to great WR.
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 12:43 PM   #51
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonEmouse View Post
My thinking on picking up a WR @ 11 is do we actually need a top WR that much? On the one hand Samuel is something of an unknown still; he might come off his injury and explode this year or he might be a bust. If the former, drafting a WR with other needs to be addressed could be seen as a massive luxury. On the other hand, if he's still not 100% we could hamstring Wentz with maybe 1 or 2 guys to target instead of 3-5.

But, we can probably get a guy that could draw coverage away from McLaurin without having to take that guy @ 11. Hence why I'd take Hamilton if he's still there (difference maker in teh secondary) or trade down a few spots at least to get capital AND still get a good to great WR.
I think we have to think beyond this year though. Samuel needs to have an amazing year to earn his third season with us, otherwise he's not going to be worth keeping at a $13M cap number. And if he has an amazing season, then he'll only have one more year with us before we have to let him go because resigning him would probably be unaffordable.

I wouldn't steer away from WR just because of perceived need or lack thereof in 2022.
Old 04-26-2022, 01:39 PM   #52
AnonEmouse
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
I think we have to think beyond this year though. Samuel needs to have an amazing year to earn his third season with us, otherwise he's not going to be worth keeping at a $13M cap number. And if he has an amazing season, then he'll only have one more year with us before we have to let him go because resigning him would probably be unaffordable.

I wouldn't steer away from WR just because of perceived need or lack thereof in 2022.
Good point, but would you leave Hamilton on the board for a WR? In a draft reportedly deep with WR talent? It's not an easy decision...
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 01:51 PM   #53
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

It is a pass driven, offense first league. We have one legitimate offensive weapon. If we can score a top WR I am good with it. If we can move back a few spots and gain a second rounder and a top WR I am even better with it.
Old 04-26-2022, 02:17 PM   #54
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonEmouse View Post
Good point, but would you leave Hamilton on the board for a WR? In a draft reportedly deep with WR talent? It's not an easy decision...
You are right about that. I would not hate a Kyle Hamilton selection. Because my point about Curtis Samuel being a possible short-term guy also applies just as much to Bobby McCain, just for different reasons. He doesn't carry the same injury questions but he's under contract for only two seasons which could become only one season if his performance disappoints.

That and they currently don't have a buffalo nickel guy on the roster.

We've long had trouble covering the Dallas Goedert types and this would go a long way.

I can't decide if I'd rather have a WR or Hamilton at 11. I just know that I hope the WR isn't Drake London. I've said it before but I'm just too concerned about his ability to get open. Because the narrative has been Carson likes big WRs. Is that it? Or does he like WRs who get open, and it just so happened Alshon Jeffrey and Michael Pittman are gigantic?
Old 04-26-2022, 02:38 PM   #55
MTK
\m/

I think it’s important to note the knock on DL is getting separation on deep routes, not short to intermediate routes. And that’s where his size can help him win jump ball situations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-26-2022, 03:13 PM   #56
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
I think it’s important to note the knock on DL is getting separation on deep routes, not short to intermediate routes. And that’s where his size can help him win jump ball situations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
But at the NFL level he seems jammable, if that's a word. He runs high. I think press corners are going to bug him. The PAC12 guys may not have been good enough to stick with him but a lot of NFL corners are. I don't see him having a whole lot of RAC yards.

Fearing this would be our JJ Arcega-Whiteside.