Kirk Cousins 365 thread

Locker Room Main Forum

Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 10:59 AM   #781
Alvin Walton
Pro Bowl

Re: Kirk Cousins 365 thread

Sources: Patriots not planning to trade Garoppolo

If this is true it will ratchet up Kirkys trade value.

Advertisements
Old 03-01-2017, 11:03 AM   #782
Schneed10
A Dude

Get your asses in the barn, sheep.

Washington Redskins coach Jay Gruden confident team will come to agreement with Kirk Cousins
Old 03-01-2017, 11:04 AM   #783
Schneed10
A Dude

Redskins, Cousins agent will meet at the NFL Combine | CSN Mid-Atlantic
Old 03-01-2017, 11:24 AM   #784
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Meh. Let's just pick out a trade scenario that would give the Redskins the equivalent of a first round pick and call it reasonable. Nevermind that it's not at all grounded in reality. You call it a good read, I call it mental masturbation.

Every action taken by the team so far suggests they intend to negotiate with Cousins to reach a long term deal. They hit him with the exclusive tag so nobody can talk with him. It also makes sure nobody can sign him to an offer sheet, meaning the Redskins wouldn't even be happy with two first round picks in return.

And who the hell is going to do all this work to offer the Redskins trade compensation without first being able to speak with Cousins about terms on a long term deal? John Lynch is not going to do that. He's already busy making other plans at QB.

Until you see the team actually grant permission to Cousins to talk with other teams, he's a Redskin. They clearly intend to take it down to the wire and get him for the best deal they can in July.

Don't be swayed by media rumors and dumbass conjecture like the crap linked in this piece. Rap Sheet said it: the Skins are not trading Cousins. War game this thing yourself, you can see where it's inevitably headed. It's a high stakes wrestling match to keep the $ figures reasonable.

I can't understand why more people can't see it.
Agreed, we're talking about more money than most of us will make in a lifetime, that kind of negotiation just takes time, I'd say about as much time as it's allowed to last...

Envoyé de mon TOMMY en utilisant Tapatalk

Last edited by FrenchSkin; 03-01-2017 at 01:50 PM.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:25 AM   #785
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
Good read:

Kirk Cousins' trade value and the NFL-wide impact of the drama in D.C. - 2017 NFL offseason

A swap of first-rounders makes more sense, with Washington exchanging the 17th pick for the second selection. Chase Stuart's draft value chart measures that swap as worth 13.6 points of draft capital, roughly equivalent to the 27th selection in a typical draft. The 49ers have two fourth-round picks after picking up a compensatory selection for Alex Boone; maybe they send the 109th selection to Washington and get the fifth-round pick Washington grabbed from the Saints (154) in return. Now we're up to 15.8 points of draft capital, roughly equivalent to the 19th pick.

The 49ers could finish out the deal by including Eric Reid, who has been an excellent safety at times while struggling with various injuries. Washington has been a mess at safety over the past several seasons, and Reid -- in the fifth-year option of his rookie deal -- would be a massive upgrade on DeAngelo Hall and Donte Whitner in the defensive backfield. This wouldn't be fair market value for Cousins, but picking up Reid and what amounts to a mid-first round pick for a player who doesn't want to be in town and is likely to leave after the season would make sense.
Why would you look at draft chart values for a trade like this? It just doesn't apply. Picture a Redskin as having the last bottle of water in the desert (Kirk) when a dying 49er crawls over the dune willing to pay anything for it. Then determine what the Skins might ask for Kirk.

First of all, we don't need to trade Kirk. Personally, I wouldn't do it.

Secondly, who cares if Kirk doesn't want to be here? Tough luck for him. He's tagged. It's his job. Also, he's not involved in any discussion of trade pieces. So, that's not a factor.

Third, who says he's likely to leave after this season? A long-term deal can still get done.

Fourth, as I suggested with the trite water in the desert analogy, Kirk is worth way more to SF than to any other trade partner. SF has been a vast wasteland for QB play for some time now. Kirk has played and played well in Kyle Shanahan's system. The time required for Kirk to learn and become proficient in Kyle's offense is virtually nil. Kyle loves Kirk and knows that he can and will win with Kirk as his QB. Kyle's GM, John Lynch, also is a big fan of Kirk as an NFL QB. And I could go on...

As I said, you need to recalculate what SF would be willing to pay.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:34 AM   #786
Alvin Walton
Pro Bowl

McCartney strongly hinted that their position would start with making Cousins one of the highest-paid quarterbacks in the game.

And that right there is what makes this contract a pain in the ass.
The Redskins have to believe that Cousins is a top ten QB.
Cause then hes gonna get feck you Hollywood money.
We did not make the playoffs last year.
I think if we had a real pass rush we would have and then he would look like a top 10.
Top 12 for sure.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:36 AM   #787
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

“Eric Schaffer, who’s a great guy and works hard for the Redskins, and I are going to get together this week,” McCartney told Pat Kirwan and Jim Miller on SiriusXM NFL Radio on Tuesday, just a few hours after the Redskins announced that they had placed the exclusive franchise tag on Cousins.

It sure does sound like the two sides are getting closer to that long-term deal that most of us want. I'm starting to get excited about it.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:48 AM   #788
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
I was as optimistic as you are now, but this is a quote from your link:

Quote:
"Both parties have to come up with something," Gruden said. "We can offer him the world, but if he doesn't want to sign it, he doesn't have to sign it. And then we have to do maybe a better job."
If KC simply doesn't want to play long term here, than a deal isn't going to get done. I hope that he and his agent are simply using their advantage to maximize the contract. But we won't know till it's signed sealed and done.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:51 AM   #789
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
“Eric Schaffer, who’s a great guy and works hard for the Redskins, and I are going to get together this week,” McCartney told Pat Kirwan and Jim Miller on SiriusXM NFL Radio on Tuesday, just a few hours after the Redskins announced that they had placed the exclusive franchise tag on Cousins.

It sure does sound like the two sides are getting closer to that long-term deal that most of us want. I'm starting to get excited about it.
Make no mistake, they are still quite far apart, but they're going to meet.

My guess, they won't make much progress at the combine. Why? Because they don't have to. The Redskins know that as long as the 49ers don't have a QB, they'll remain a possibility in Kirk's mind. So they'll want to wait that out. The Redskins also know now whether they intend to bring their offers up to a reasonable place, or whether they don't. They're just not telling anybody.

The combine will end and they'll be apart, and we'll hear shit, and we'll all get worried. But all the while the Redskins will know that they plan to increase their offer in July.

Either that, or we'll eventually hear that the Redskins granted Cousins permission to seek a trade. Every action the team has taken thus far has been contrary to that being the case. But I guess it's possible.

Regardless, don't freak out if the progress doesn't come as fast as you'd like. As long as you don't hear that they're actually speaking with other teams or have given Cousins permission to do so, and I mean from a very reputable media source like Schefter or Rap Sheet, then take it as a good thing. It means they continue the dance until July 15 when shit gets real and they all put their cards on the table.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:53 AM   #790
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
I was as optimistic as you are now, but this is a quote from your link:

If KC simply doesn't want to play long term here, than a deal isn't going to get done. I hope that he and his agent are simply using their advantage to maximize the contract. But we won't know till it's signed sealed and done.
You're right. But that doesn't make sense given what we know about Kirk:

- He loves familiarity
- He's had great success here
- He's well protected behind this line
- He wants to be wanted. Once the team shows its cards and ups its offer into the low $20Ms per year, he'll feel wanted.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:56 AM   #791
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
Smoot we all value your input, and I hesitate to ask to much because it must get annoying, but (always ignore everything before the but...) If the holdup really is in the Skins high front office, how much influence or job cred do SM and JG have to use up to get a deal pushed through. Asked another way, do you have any idea how dug in are DSBA against a long term deal?

Thanks as always for your insight.
I don't honestly know. I just know that they (Skins and Cousins) are far apart and the Redskins have not been slowly moving their number up. Now, of course, push is coming to shove so that may accelerate things
Old 03-01-2017, 11:57 AM   #792
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
I highly question you on the trading being likely. Just doesn't make sense unless they get swept off their feet by an offer they can't refuse. I don't think any of us believe that's coming.

It's a stare down till July 15, at which point they'll meet somewhere in the middle. Probably closer to Cousins' number than the Redskins number. But they're going to come up on their offers.

The leaks to the media about Cousins wanting to play elsewhere are just too conveniently timed. I never question what you're hearing, I just question the motive for why we're hearing it.
Well, if you have no intention of signing him to a long term deal then you need to take whatever you can get because you'll end up losing him for nothing come next year. At this point KC has all the leverage really, and I doubt he signs anything less than 22-24mil/year.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
Old 03-01-2017, 12:03 PM   #793
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
You're right. But that doesn't make sense given what we know about Kirk:

- He loves familiarity
- He's had great success here
- He's well protected behind this line
- He wants to be wanted. Once the team shows its cards and ups its offer into the low $20Ms per year, he'll feel wanted.
I get that last year their numbers felt slighted, but I take a huge exception to him needing any more evidence of feeling wanted. The Skins have staked $44M to his being the qb with NO guarantee from him that he will sign a long term deal. Just to clarify, and I know you know this, without a long term deal to offset the guarantees, that will have been 44M off the top of the Skins Salary cap. Hell we were all griping when the league took 36M over 2 years. I know that 44M now is not equal to 36M then, but the point is that is a huge commitment (even the 20M was last year).
Old 03-01-2017, 12:15 PM   #794
mredskins
MVP

Kirk Cousins' trade value and the NFL-wide impact of the drama in D.C. - 2017 NFL offseason

Good read, kind of puts all in perspective.
Old 03-01-2017, 12:29 PM   #795
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
Well, if you have no intention of signing him to a long term deal then you need to take whatever you can get because you'll end up losing him for nothing come next year. At this point KC has all the leverage really, and I doubt he signs anything less than 22-24mil/year.
I would agree, that is about the number I think they're headed to. On July 15 the cards will go on the table and they'll show pocket aces for Kirk and 7 2 unsuited for the Skins. They'll come up and it will get signed.