Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

A New Look Offense or the Same but Better?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 03-25-2012, 06:26 PM   #1
30gut
Playmaker

A New Look Offense or the Same but Better?

Barring something crazy Robert Griffin is gonna be our QB.
We all know that Robert Griffin is a dynamic QB that has a physical skillset on par with some of the NFL's best.

I stumbled upon the Redskins vs Panthers on my DVR and couldn't help but wonder if I was watching the future of the Redskins offense.
Keep in mind I'm not saying that Griffin is Cam Newton, far from it, this is a discussion of the offense itself not of Cam.

Spread offense are no longer exclusive to the college game; over the past few years we've seen coaches like Rob Chudzinski, Chan Gailey and Mike McCoy borrow directly from these college spread offenses.
Josh McDaniels, Sean Payton, Mike McCarthy and Tom Moore/Peyton Manning have mixed in a lot of shotgun heavy spread concepts and formations.

I have little doubt that Griffin can excute any type of offensive gameplan the staff has in store for him.
Griffin has more ability in the drop back rhythm passing game then people think.
Not only is Griffin smart and coachable many people don't realize or forgot that early in Griffin's college career he was under center quite a bit.
Over time Briles built an offense and tailored his playcalling to maximize his dynamic QB that almost exclusively featured shotgun spread and zone-read spread formations and plays.
Freshmen year:

What effect do you think Robert Griffin will have on the gameplanning and playcalling?

Do you think:

o the core offense/formations and playcalling balance will remain unchanged and Griffin's own ability will raise the level of execution and add more playmaking ability?

o No changes to the offense except for the redzone.

o the core offense/formations will remain unchanged but the playcalling balance will return and the offense will look more like Houston and the traditional Mike S. Denver WCO with a heavy focus on stretch running and boot-action passing?

o the offense formations will change and our offense will adopt and feature some of Baylor's formations and concepts, like they way the Panthers added some of Auburns formations, plays and concepts?

And equally as important what do you want to happen?

Last edited by 30gut; 03-25-2012 at 06:43 PM.
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-25-2012, 06:28 PM   #2
30gut
Playmaker

Re: A New Look Offense or the Same but Better?

post added to OP

Last edited by 30gut; 03-25-2012 at 06:36 PM.
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 06:41 PM   #3
skinster
Impact Rookie

I'd think the offense should stay the same; we should continue to look to playactions and bootlegs. But the playcalling should be different. No matter who is at qb, different abilities make you trust different players in different situations.
skinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 06:44 PM   #4
NYCskinfan82
Playmaker

IMO most teams will stack the line until our future QB RG3 makes them wish they didn't. The Offense will be better we are starting to get the pieces & QB is/was the most important. MS/KS will put RG3 in the best position to WIN NOW.
NYCskinfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 07:31 PM   #5
chrisl13
Special Teams

I can see some option runs in our offense this year. That will be nice. I also see us running more spread, no full back formations. I can't see them keeping the same look as last year with two quarterbacks who can't run. I see them taking advantage of RG3's skills.
Old 03-25-2012, 07:41 PM   #6
Alvin Walton
Pro Bowl

The offense needs to be built around this guy.
Period.
You dont buy a Beemer and use it to tow your dirt bike trailer.
Old 03-25-2012, 07:49 PM   #7
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

I think you look at this offense over the last couple years and think, 'we need a player who changes everything'. We have this player and a playmaker so we change everything and honest to god, we need too.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:07 PM   #8
imaskin4life
Special Teams

Overall, I didn't have as big of a problem with the game-plan as I did with the execution. In fact, I thought we did quite well given the personel we had on the field. I thought we were weak at WR, OL, and QB. That is a lot of weakness.
I think we should keep our current philosophy (for the most part) adding a few plays here and there based on our QB's/WR's/OL's abilities. If our OL can't run block, we'll HAVE to throw more. If our QB is getting pressured too much behind center, it may be better to go shotgun from time to time or limit our 5 step drops. If our WR's can't get separation from defenders then that will limit us to what patterns we can run.
I think we should build around our personel's abilities to a certain degree but not to the extent where we negate the strengths of our current system. I like the deception that is created by the play action. IF we can run the ball, we can keep defenses even more off balanced than becoming one dimensional throwing all the time.
Even though its great that we have a competent QB, I want defenses to worry about the run AND the pass. Just like in boxing, as soon as you get too predictable, or one-dimensional, you wake up in the hospital strapped to a table getting your jaw wired.
imaskin4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:14 PM   #9
NYCskinfan82
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin Walton View Post
Period.
Oh now you tell me, where were you when I attached the hitch.
NYCskinfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:47 PM   #10
imaskin4life
Special Teams

Also, I think it is a mistake to treat RG3 as a running back who can throw. I think he should be treated as a quarterback who can run if needed. Running backs get injured in the NFL. You can put in some new plays for him to take advantage of his speed (I actually think he's faster than 4.41) but to DEPEND on him as a runner will increase the likelihood of injury. He's actually built more like a track runner (because he is one) than a running back any way.
Trust me, he will be running enough when the protection breaks down or receivers are covered. I would still probably install some 3rd and short bootlegs to the sideline or pylon, a qb draw on the goalline or in short-yard situation, an option to keep the defense honest but I would prefer him running in low traffic situations. I CERTAINLY would not build the offense around him as a RB - I would build it around his QB skills.
imaskin4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:06 PM   #11
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

I hope that, at first, the last option prevails - that we make the offense somewhat resemble Baylor's so that Griffin is not overwhelmed with learning (even though he's a smart guy) and so that he feels comfort quickly.

Then over time I expect a transition to a more "traditional" Kyle offense, if I can put it that way, but with Griffin running it better than anyone ever has.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:20 PM   #12
whistler
Special Teams

Quote:
Period.

Great post! The offense need to be tailored to the personnel. Griffin is a good mobile qb who should have the spread included in the packages. Four recievers is the norm in the NFL now, with the ability to spread the field and get over the top of the defense as well as a solid running game [featuring running backs who are quick and shifty] there should be no doubt that the offense should be expanded to an all inclusive exciting situation that has not been seen B 4 in D.C.
whistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 01:41 AM   #13
The Goat
Pro Bowl

Hmmm...I reckon more important than the system are tempo and overall game-day preparedness over the previous two seasons.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:14 AM   #14
ethat001
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Period.
While this is true, it is not the right analogy. This would be the equivalent of using RG3 as a running back.

In other words, we don't need to "Tebow" our playbook. RG3 is young, smart and likely could fit into and run many systems. We don't have to replicate the exact Baylor system. We will certainly need to understand RG3's strengths and build plays that exploit them, however I think he could step in and fit into Shanny's system without completely changing everything.
ethat001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 02:40 AM   #15
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker

The same offense that John Elway and Matt Schuab ran should be the one that RG3 runs. Why change anything? If Grossman was able to move the ball effectively down field then so can Griffin.
REDSKINS4ever is offline   Reply With Quote