***2010-2011 College Football Thread***

Other Sports

Old 01-11-2011, 12:41 PM   #406
GMScud
Swearinger

Re: ***2010-2011 College Football Thread***

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Sidenote: I thought the best moment was when the troops surprised their families at halftime

Ok, continue...
Agreed. Great moment in an otherwise ho-hum football game for the most part.

The second best part is the fact that Saden was so adamant that Oregon was going to win by such a wide margin that Auburn in fact had "no chance" in the game. LOL.

Advertisements
Old 01-12-2011, 12:25 PM   #407
BleedBurgundy
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
that read spread offense crap doesnt even look like football, oregon deserved to lose
Yeah, I felt like i was watching an intramural flag football game. Both QB's looked so robotic and then having to look back at the sideline to make adjustments? Weak sauce.

Thomas Paine
BleedBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 12:32 PM   #408
MTK
\m/

A certain somebody has been awfully quiet lately
Old 01-12-2011, 12:32 PM   #409
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBurgundy View Post
Yeah, I felt like i was watching an intramural flag football game. Both QB's looked so robotic and then having to look back at the sideline to make adjustments? Weak sauce.
Yeah, its weak. Flow to the game is dimished. That stuff doesnt fly in the big leagues.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:09 AM   #410
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Where is saden1??????

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:39 AM   #411
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Consoling some Ducks?
Old 01-13-2011, 10:41 AM   #412
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
LOL!!! Oregon? Say bye. All your cute little poster-board play-calling, neon colors, and ever changing uniforms just look stupid now. Told you it was grab bag crap. The SEC is bigger, stronger, and faster.

Congrats on scoring 30 points less than your season average. SEC are the big dogs. You can't bring that crunchy west coast garbage to our conference. 5 straight, and 7 total BCS championships. Ownership.
Well said.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:22 PM   #413
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTHQUAKE2689 View Post
Where is saden1??????
He must be in mourning. You'd think considering how dismissive he was of Auburn's chances, he'd at least man up and eat some crow. Guess not.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:36 PM   #414
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
LOL!!! Oregon? Say bye. All your cute little poster-board play-calling, neon colors, and ever changing uniforms just look stupid now. Told you it was grab bag crap. The SEC is bigger, stronger, and faster.

Congrats on scoring 30 points less than your season average. SEC are the big dogs. You can't bring that crunchy west coast garbage to our conference. 5 straight, and 7 total BCS championships. Ownership.
Oh no no no no no no no. NO NO NO NO NO! You do not get to talk that way after winning by a measly 3 points. If anything with all the trash talking the score was suppose to be something like Auburn 52 Oregon 10. Instead Auburn has to scratch and claw it's way to a 3 point win. To me that doesn't seem like total conference dominance.

Also you're a Florida fan for God's sake. Hoping Auburn wins is like all of us rooting for the Cowboys, Eagles, or Giants in the playoffs just so we can have a good excuse as to why we suck year in and year out.

There should be no such thing as "SEC Fans." You don't get to root for a whole conference. You root for one team in said conference and hope the other teams go to hell in a hand basket.

Look at what the BCS has done to us. We have A&M and Oklahoma fans rooting for Texas. Texas fans rooting for Oklahoma. Auburn fans rooting for Alabama. Georgia fans rooting for Florida. Cal fans rooting for USC. Alabama fans rooting for Auburn. MICHIGAN FANS ROOTING FOR OHIO STATE!!!!!!!!!!!!

When will this madness stop? When will we get a playoff so we can rid our selves of this terrible National "we think these are the two best teams, so schedule non-conference powderpuffs if you play in a major conference and talk up how great your in conference opponents are to give you a better shot at getting one of the two spots" championship.

As I've said all year. SEC is the best football conference but the difference is not nearly as great as "SEC fans" perceive the gap to be.

Of course due to the fact that a good amount of SEC teams struggled against non-SEC opponents this years party line was oh X-Team was lucky they only had to play an SEC East team. If they played an SEC West team they would have got killed. I have people telling me that the SEC would have made Andrew Luck a second round pick at best.

I mean sure lots of SEC players get drafted to the NFL but when I look at the best players at each position in the league it's the Big XII and Pac 10 that are producing the best pro players. Heck the ACC is still better at producing pro players then the SEC in spite of the fact that the conference sucks across the board.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 03:51 PM   #415
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag359 View Post
Oh no no no no no no no. NO NO NO NO NO! You do not get to talk that way after winning by a measly 3 points. If anything with all the trash talking the score was suppose to be something like Auburn 52 Oregon 10. Instead Auburn has to scratch and claw it's way to a 3 point win. To me that doesn't seem like total conference dominance.

Also you're a Florida fan for God's sake. Hoping Auburn wins is like all of us rooting for the Cowboys, Eagles, or Giants in the playoffs just so we can have a good excuse as to why we suck year in and year out.

There should be no such thing as "SEC Fans." You don't get to root for a whole conference. You root for one team in said conference and hope the other teams go to hell in a hand basket.

Look at what the BCS has done to us. We have A&M and Oklahoma fans rooting for Texas. Texas fans rooting for Oklahoma. Auburn fans rooting for Alabama. Georgia fans rooting for Florida. Cal fans rooting for USC. Alabama fans rooting for Auburn. MICHIGAN FANS ROOTING FOR OHIO STATE!!!!!!!!!!!!

When will this madness stop? When will we get a playoff so we can rid our selves of this terrible National "we think these are the two best teams, so schedule non-conference powderpuffs if you play in a major conference and talk up how great your in conference opponents are to give you a better shot at getting one of the two spots" championship.

As I've said all year. SEC is the best football conference but the difference is not nearly as great as "SEC fans" perceive the gap to be.

Of course due to the fact that a good amount of SEC teams struggled against non-SEC opponents this years party line was oh X-Team was lucky they only had to play an SEC East team. If they played an SEC West team they would have got killed. I have people telling me that the SEC would have made Andrew Luck a second round pick at best.

I mean sure lots of SEC players get drafted to the NFL but when I look at the best players at each position in the league it's the Big XII and Pac 10 that are producing the best pro players. Heck the ACC is still better at producing pro players then the SEC in spite of the fact that the conference sucks across the board.
Actually, the real reason I'm talking that way is as a response to Saden's arrogance about Oregon this season, and how Auburn had "no chance." However it is pretty obvious the SEC is the bell cow of college football.

And as far as the margin of victory, what do they call it again when you almost lose? Oh yeah, winning.

Also, the SEC has more players in the NFL than any other conference, but no one is talking about pro ball here. This is the college football thread, not the "how do SEC players do as NFL players" thread. It's pretty irrelevant.

As far as rooting for the other teams in the conference to have bowl success to bolster the strength of said conference, it's not that uncommon amongst college football fans. Granted, you'll never in a million years see me root for Tennessee under any circumstances, but don't you think having 5 straight national titles in the SEC helps recruiting across the board in the conference? I mean, Ohio State is nationally relevant every year, but does the Big 10 get nearly the caliber of recruits as a conference that the SEC does?
Old 01-13-2011, 05:19 PM   #416
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Actually, the real reason I'm talking that way is as a response to Saden's arrogance about Oregon this season, and how Auburn had "no chance." However it is pretty obvious the SEC is the bell cow of college football.

And as far as the margin of victory, what do they call it again when you almost lose? Oh yeah, winning.

Also, the SEC has more players in the NFL than any other conference, but no one is talking about pro ball here. This is the college football thread, not the "how do SEC players do as NFL players" thread. It's pretty irrelevant.

As far as rooting for the other teams in the conference to have bowl success to bolster the strength of said conference, it's not that uncommon amongst college football fans. Granted, you'll never in a million years see me root for Tennessee under any circumstances, but don't you think having 5 straight national titles in the SEC helps recruiting across the board in the conference? I mean, Ohio State is nationally relevant every year, but does the Big 10 get nearly the caliber of recruits as a conference that the SEC does?
I know and it's obvious even to me that the SEC is tops in college football. It's just that when I look at the whole country I see talent everywhere, yet when I talk to people in the South they're convinced that there's only one part of the country with decent college football. The other conferences are like Rodney Dangerfield in that regard in that they get no respect.

Like I said I have no problem calling the SEC the best conference in college football, it's that perceived gap between the SEC and the next best conference, which these days seems to be the Pac 10, that drives me nuts. I just wish we could see a team play well and give them the respect they deserve, but instead down here in the south we have people that take top teams from other conferences put them in the SEC and assign them an arbitrary sub .500 record. Boise State and TCU being the poster children but I've also seen it with teams like Stanford and Ohio State.

Above all I want to see an 8 team playoff in college football so we don't have to wonder anymore. I mean 5 national championships by one conference is quite an achievement but the way the NCAA goes about it certainly leaves something to be desired. I think thats why in basketball the conference buildup is minimal as 64 teams get into the NCAA tournament so the benefit in building up ones respective conference is minimal. Obviously 8 slots won't eliminate the homerism towards ones conference but at least it'll reduce it.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:19 AM   #417
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag359 View Post
I know and it's obvious even to me that the SEC is tops in college football. It's just that when I look at the whole country I see talent everywhere, yet when I talk to people in the South they're convinced that there's only one part of the country with decent college football. The other conferences are like Rodney Dangerfield in that regard in that they get no respect.

Like I said I have no problem calling the SEC the best conference in college football, it's that perceived gap between the SEC and the next best conference, which these days seems to be the Pac 10, that drives me nuts. I just wish we could see a team play well and give them the respect they deserve, but instead down here in the south we have people that take top teams from other conferences put them in the SEC and assign them an arbitrary sub .500 record. Boise State and TCU being the poster children but I've also seen it with teams like Stanford and Ohio State.

Above all I want to see an 8 team playoff in college football so we don't have to wonder anymore. I mean 5 national championships by one conference is quite an achievement but the way the NCAA goes about it certainly leaves something to be desired. I think thats why in basketball the conference buildup is minimal as 64 teams get into the NCAA tournament so the benefit in building up ones respective conference is minimal. Obviously 8 slots won't eliminate the homerism towards ones conference but at least it'll reduce it.
As far as the SEC and the other major conferences, I think the gap is somewhere in between where you and the other SEC fans in your territory perceive it. I think it's a pretty decent margin, but I don't think it's extrordinarily wide. Certainly TCU and Boise would still be solid in the SEC. They wouldn't be .500 teams, but they also wouldn't be 12-0 or 11-1 on a regular basis either.

I'd love a playoff. I mean, even Urban Meyer, who has benefitted as much as anyone from the BCS (4 BCS bowl game wins, including 2 national titles) has on more than one occasion supported a playoff system. It's without question the best thing that could happen to college football.

Sadly, cash is king, and the BCS fat cats won't ever let it change. At this point it would take an act of God to change the college football bowl system.

Last edited by GMScud; 01-14-2011 at 10:36 AM.
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 08:54 PM   #418
saden1
MVP

I'm here...great game except for the score....that was one tough loss to take considering how it ended. Always play until the whistle and always take it to the house unless you hear the whistle. I blame the loss on Chip Kelly. Pssst, Nick Fairley is a beast, don't go at him with the same stupid play and certainly don't let him rush freely. I want Nick on my team...he's NFL ready for sure and with his dirtiness he will fit right in.

Cam was garbage, Kenny Rowe was even worse. They picked on him like a 3 yo picks his nose and it paid off. Congrats to the Tigers.

Would any of you draft Cam? What round?

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 08:56 PM   #419
saden1
MVP

We want playoffs and two weeks between games, not 40 days. Fck the SEC....The Pac 10 is the Conference of Champions! Look it up!

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:33 AM   #420
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
We want playoffs and two weeks between games, not 40 days. Fck the SEC....The Pac 10 is the Conference of Champions! Look it up!
We're not talking about UCLA basketball here.