Around the NFL: NFL Offseason

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 03-06-2021, 12:53 PM   #151
AnonEmouse
The Starter

Re: Around the NFL: NFL Offseason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalper View Post
They don't view themselves as farm leagues for NFL, LOL. They have a new starting QB every 3-4 years. You dumb down the system so it can be quickly and easily learned and mastered rapidly. Without talent over the field, as in NFL, also easier to exploit matchups which spread etc. makes way easier.
I'm not talking about an NFL playbook, at least not a full one. I've coached over here and with the amateur level of players, we manage at least some playbooks with a simple progressive read and/or receiver option routes. US college kids are not idiots and if they are they probably won't make it in the Pro's anyway (at least not at QB). I'm sure that they all go to play college ball with 2 main aims 1) get an education 2) get a chance at the NFL. I see no harm in at least making some effort to give them a better chance in the NFL. That's an education/job opportunity too.
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-07-2021, 03:02 PM   #152
calia
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
History has shown though, that even records that seem impossible to break, get broken eventually. But yeah, probably not this one in our lifetimes.

There are a couple of records in sports that seem hard to imagine being broken. Brady’s is one (Ted Williams batting over .400 in a season might be another). Particularly given how hard it is for NFL teams to stay together, it seems incredibly unlikely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-07-2021, 07:59 PM   #153
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by calia View Post
There are a couple of records in sports that seem hard to imagine being broken. Brady’s is one (Ted Williams batting over .400 in a season might be another). Particularly given how hard it is for NFL teams to stay together, it seems incredibly unlikely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed. Very unlikely.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 12:11 AM   #154
Scalper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonEmouse View Post
I'm not talking about an NFL playbook, at least not a full one. I've coached over here and with the amateur level of players, we manage at least some playbooks with a simple progressive read and/or receiver option routes. US college kids are not idiots and if they are they probably won't make it in the Pro's anyway (at least not at QB). I'm sure that they all go to play college ball with 2 main aims 1) get an education 2) get a chance at the NFL. I see no harm in at least making some effort to give them a better chance in the NFL. That's an education/job opportunity too.
NCAA football is a business, not a charity. Coaches make MILLIONS, and they are doing whatever it takes to win. The schemes that allow them to win are not NFL type schemes in most cases, period. Most U.S. college kids are idiots, education in this country at all but the elite 7 of 8 schools is a farce, and there is reams of data proving this fact. At most big programs, players regularly graduate unable to write a functional paragraph or multiply.

I agree idiots can't succeed as NFL QB, and I think lack of mental acuity and mental speed is a key reason many running prospects who never had to move past a 2nd or 3rd progression bust. They simply can never process the game fast enough mentally, and I don't think the Wonderlic or similar instruments accurately test for the kind of intelligence an NFL QB needs.

We could talk about what should be all day long. Here's what is: College coaches want to keep their jobs and avoid real jobs selling insurance or whatever. They thus play the system that allows them the best chance to win, and for a host of reasons, this is not NFL style systems in most cases.
Scalper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 12:15 AM   #155
Scalper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinzWin View Post
A lot of NFL teams have new coaches/schemes/QBs every 3-4 years too. I still have never understood why the NFL hasn’t created a developmental team for each NFL franchise in smaller market cities. They would make a fortune in additional revenue.
Probably not. College team support is almost a cult. Why should the NFL pay for a developmental farm league when the corrupt NCAA and farcical American education system provide one for free? You aren't thinking like enough of a corporate shyster.

A lot of teams NFL do have new schemes every 3-4 years, but not the ones that win consistently. :-) Especially under the new CBA, where practice is so limited.
Scalper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 08:34 AM   #156
GridIron26
Playmaker

Per John Clayton from ESPN, Ryan Ftizpatrick is considering retirement.. If so, that's one QB less in the QB market filled with non-starter QBs and Dak.
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 09:24 AM   #157
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinzWin View Post
A lot of NFL teams have new coaches/schemes/QBs every 3-4 years too. I still have never understood why the NFL hasn’t created a developmental team for each NFL franchise in smaller market cities. They would make a fortune in additional revenue.
No, they wouldn't. The bulk of the NFL's revenue comes from TV money. That kind of revenue just doesn't exist at the local level. The NFL would have to financially support a developmental league which would undoubtedly operate at a loss. That's why so many leagues come and go, without that TV money it's almost impossible for them to just break even.
Old 03-08-2021, 09:32 AM   #158
EdmundDorf
The Starter

Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet
"A storyline to follow going forward: If the official salary cap number doesn’t come today and soon, NFL will have to move back the deadline to franchise tag players from Tuesday. It’s a situation several GMs are bracing for and would further stall business for a bit."

Coincidence that Jerry Jones is on the finance committee that sets the cap number?
EdmundDorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 09:34 AM   #159
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
No, they wouldn't. The bulk of the NFL's revenue comes from TV money. That kind of revenue just doesn't exist at the local level. The NFL would have to financially support a developmental league which would undoubtedly operate at a loss. That's why so many leagues come and go, without that TV money it's almost impossible for them to just break even.
It's why the AAF and XFL folded.. I know the Rock thinks he can make it work but he won't... Nobody gives a shit about minor league football. In fact nobody really cares about that in any sport.

When was the last time you watched a Minor League baseball game?
Old 03-08-2021, 10:30 AM   #160
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmundDorf View Post
Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet
"A storyline to follow going forward: If the official salary cap number doesn’t come today and soon, NFL will have to move back the deadline to franchise tag players from Tuesday. It’s a situation several GMs are bracing for and would further stall business for a bit."

Coincidence that Jerry Jones is on the finance committee that sets the cap number?
I wish there was more reporting on this.

What is taking so long?
Who makes the decision?
What factors are considered?

Teams have to be cap compliant in 9 days ....
SunnySide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 11:29 AM   #161
AnonEmouse
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
It's why the AAF and XFL folded.. I know the Rock thinks he can make it work but he won't... Nobody gives a shit about minor league football. In fact nobody really cares about that in any sport.

When was the last time you watched a Minor League baseball game?
I must admit I always find it unusual how much of a difference there is between the US and other nations when it comes to tier 2+ sport. i.e. Lower league football over here is well supported, almost as well as the Premier League, and has the revenue to support quite good salaries in the 2nd tier (Championship) and at least enough in the next level (League 1) to live off. Lower divisions do tend to have more part time players, and the lowest levels are lucky if they get expenses, but between the top 3 tiers that's 68 teams, with many players in the PL earning similar if not more money to NFL players. They play more games here obviously, so a direct comparison doesn't really make sense. But is it more a case that there are other sports competing for the audience (baseball, basketball, CFB), that a spring league professional set up couldn't; make the revenue? Or is it that the players wouldn't accept more economic salaries for the risk etc.?
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 11:35 AM   #162
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post
I wish there was more reporting on this.

What is taking so long?
Who makes the decision?
What factors are considered?

Teams have to be cap compliant in 9 days ....
Don't be surprised if the NFL and NFLPA announce a "COVID Exception" to the Salary Cap this year, to be funded by later year adjustments.

The cap won't go down 20%, maybe 10% but I also would not be surprised for the two parties work out a deal to keep the cap neutral this year.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 11:53 AM   #163
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
I must admit I always find it unusual how much of a difference there is between the US and other nations when it comes to tier 2+ sport. i.e. Lower league football over here is well supported, almost as well as the Premier League, and has the revenue to support quite good salaries in the 2nd tier (Championship) and at least enough in the next level (League 1) to live off. Lower divisions do tend to have more part time players, and the lowest levels are lucky if they get expenses, but between the top 3 tiers that's 68 teams, with many players in the PL earning similar if not more money to NFL players. They play more games here obviously, so a direct comparison doesn't really make sense. But is it more a case that there are other sports competing for the audience (baseball, basketball, CFB), that a spring league professional set up couldn't; make the revenue? Or is it that the players wouldn't accept more economic salaries for the risk etc.?
The US has a problem that if you are not at the "Top level" of your field then nobody really cares about the rest..
Old 03-08-2021, 12:05 PM   #164
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Old 03-08-2021, 12:07 PM   #165
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Quote:
The closest we have to this is baseball and hockey. Without knowing the set up of football over there, most players for baseball and hockey are drafted and signed by the major league club to either a major league or minor league deal. Most minor league baseball and hockey are big draws in attendance but no real tv revenue and only a small radio revenue. Not as many players are making what we would consider a livable salary unless they are a prospect or a role player that bounces back and forth to the major league club.
BaltimoreSkins is offline   Reply With Quote