Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Board Management > Playbook

A suggestion for an incentive system for good posts

Playbook

Old 01-11-2007, 05:26 AM   #1
hooskins
Most Interesting Man in the World

A suggestion for an incentive system for good posts

Ok so posted this up a while ago but to no response. I will not bring it up again if there are no responses.

http://www.thewarpath.net/playbook/1...tml#post264017

Basically it creates a rewards systems. Underneath the avatar you could have 5 clear redskins logos, and each becomes colored as you get 100 reputation points.

This way good posts get rewarded and the reward shows. On the other forum this works really well. It clearly notes the people who really contribute positively to the site. It might be a bit complicated to understand but as people ask questions I can explain.

Only reason I bring this up again, is because it seems like the primary concern and motive for removing post count is people posting bs rather than quality posts. This system only fosters quality posts and discussion.

Advertisements
Old 01-11-2007, 08:41 AM   #2
Schneed10
A Dude

Re: A suggestion for an incentive system for good posts

I just feel the need to chime in a little, since I kinda started all the post count hoopla.

I hope people don't feeled compelled to compete for respect on this site in any form, whether it be by post count, age, or even reputation points. The site, at least in my mind, should be about having a good place to come and discuss the Redskins (and other things) openly and intelligently. Not so much to compete for respect or anything of the kind. Hooskins, while your incentive system is an idea that would certainly foster quality posts, I fear that people would get too competitive about it and get carried away. I can almost hear all the bitching that would result from someone thinking they made a good post, only to not get points from mods, and raise hell saying "well you gave John Doe points for his stupid post, why not me??"

And a note to the mods: with the post count issue, I didn't think the site needed any major changes at all. It's still a great site. I just suggested the post count thing because I knew it would take no effort to make the adjustment, and was simply worth a try to see if it made a difference.

I'm not crapping on your idea though hooskins, because it's nice to see good members taking an active interest in making the site better. It just might take some work to have the mods constantly assigning rewards points - and some people will invariably feel slighted by whatever system is used to assign the points.

This is just my personal opinion though. If others, and the mods, want to go with it, then by all means go with it.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:23 AM   #3
MTK
\m/

I'm not a big fan of reputation points only because people tend to play favorites or they'll shit on people they just don't like. And then the emphasis all becomes about how many points I have, why didn't someone like my post and give me more points, etc.

And in the end it becomes just another thing the mods have to monitor and we have our plates full as it is.
Old 01-11-2007, 02:31 PM   #4
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

To piggyback on Matty and Schneed's posts, it's important to remember this site is not a competition. There's no prize at the end for "Most Knowledgeable" or "Best" fan. People who have that mentality tend not to last very long here, and if they stay they stay knowing (or possibly not knowing) they don't have the respoect of others here. We're all here to discuss, debate, and learn.
Old 01-11-2007, 02:37 PM   #5
ArtMonkDrillz
Franchise Player

...and we're here to love, TAF. Let's not forget the love.
Old 01-11-2007, 02:38 PM   #6
724Skinsfan
Playmaker

I'm just here for the Bud Light.
Old 01-11-2007, 02:57 PM   #7
hooskins
Most Interesting Man in the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
I'm not a big fan of reputation points only because people tend to play favorites or they'll shit on people they just don't like. And then the emphasis all becomes about how many points I have, why didn't someone like my post and give me more points, etc.

And in the end it becomes just another thing the mods have to monitor and we have our plates full as it is.

Points can be given by anyone, not just Mods. They can be given by all members, but the thing is those members with higher amounts of reputation points give higher amounts of reputation to members they feel that deserve it. For example someone with 340 reputation points will give out 3 each time(like a 1% formula). And each hundred you get you get a logo. This way a newbie can't just come and start giving tons of points to everyone. They start out with zero and they can't give out points until they have received a certain amount.

Also there would be a limit on the amount of points a member could give out in one day. And they cannot give points to one member twice, until they have given points to 20 other people or some other number.

And yeah this is just a suggestion guys, just throwing something out there. In my opinion it does solve the issue of quality posting, but at the same time Matty brought up a good point in that people now become concerned about their number of logos and points rather than posts. But it should not be more work for the Mods.
Old 01-15-2007, 07:31 PM   #8
mheisig
The Starter

Why is this thread giving me terrible flashbacks to being picked last for dodgeball in middle school...