Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Coaching and Front Office Changes

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 01-13-2020, 03:15 PM   #316
Schneed10
A Dude

Re: Coaching and Front Office Changes

Kyle moves up to VP of Player Personnel and will oversee both the college personnel and pro personnel departments. So he's overseeing the work to put together the draft board and overseeing the work to scout out free agents.

Rivera still retains authority on who to actually select in the draft and on who to sign in free agency. But he'll be relying on Kyle's information.

I like the idea of moving your college scouting guy up to this level, once he's proved himself. The guys he put on his draft board three years ago are about to hit free agency in a year or so. So he can combine what he saw in the process leading up to the draft with what he's seeing in the pros.

Advertisements
Old 01-13-2020, 03:16 PM   #317
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
Kyle Smith has been promoted:

https://www.redskins.com/news/redski...ayer-personnel

Pretty happy with this move. Kyle is a rising star and the team should do anything and everything to keep him.
Good move. From what I heard either from Keim or Cooley...Ron was given the last couple drafts and was told Kyle was the primary source for each pick (Haskins...seems to be the out layer). And was asked what did he think of the talent from the draft, top of players, context of other players chosen and Rivera was sold on Kyle Smith from the work he did on those last couple drafts. If true story, good to see these guys working together going forward.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 03:20 PM   #318
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Speaking of Cooley, rumor has it he's joining Rivera's staff as some sort of assistant.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 03:20 PM   #319
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
Nice. This clears up who will be in charge of free agency this year. If Smith crushes free agency and the draft, i wonder if he gets the GM title, too.
I think the GM title would be empty, in name only. It wouldn't really mean anything in this case.

Rivera has decision making authority over roster construction. If he wants to delegate it to someone that's his call. But Kyle will put together the draft board and prioritize free agents. Rob Rogers will handle the negotiating. And Rivera will oversee them both - he'll take Kyle's information about free agents, Kyle will make recommendations, and Rivera will tell Rogers who to pursue.

So unless Rivera decides he wants to completely delegate that process to someone and name them General Manager to oversee all of it, I don't imagine a General Manager having much to actually do. You've got the guy handling all things scouting in Smith, you've got the guy handling negotiations in Rogers, and you've got the guy making the decisions in Rivera.

Don't know what else you need, except for a Director of College Personnel to report in to Smith, who already knows that world really well.

Last edited by Schneed10; 01-13-2020 at 03:58 PM.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 03:22 PM   #320
Schneed10
A Dude

Edited - Comment factually incorrect.

Last edited by Schneed10; 01-13-2020 at 03:54 PM.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 03:23 PM   #321
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
I think the GM title would be empty, in name only. It wouldn't really mean anything in this case.

Rivera has decision making authority over roster construction. If he wants to delegate it to someone that's his call. But Kyle will put together the draft board and prioritize free agents. Richard Rogers will handle the negotiating. And Rivera will oversee them both - he'll take Kyle's information about free agents, Kyle will make recommendations, and Rivera will tell Rogers who to pursue.

So unless Rivera decides he wants to completely delegate that process to someone and name them General Manager to oversee all of it, I don't imagine a General Manager having much to actually do. You've got the guy handling all things scouting in Smith, you've got the guy handling negotiations in Rogers, and you've got the guy making the decisions in Rivera.

Don't know what else you need, except for a Director of College Personnel to report in to Smith, who already knows that world really well.
A lot of reporters on the Redskins beat are thinking that they may not hire a GM at all and just keep things as they are.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 03:23 PM   #322
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
A lot of reporters on the Redskins beat are thinking that they may not hire a GM at all and just keep things as they are.
Which would make complete sense org-chart wise now that Kyle has been moved into this role.
Old 01-13-2020, 03:25 PM   #323
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
Speaking of Cooley, rumor has it he's joining Rivera's staff as some sort of assistant.
Here is a link about this from Chuck Sapienza:

https://twitter.com/chucksapienza/st...05485556400128
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 04:16 PM   #324
skinsfan69
Living Legend

So basically Smith promoted, Doug demoted.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 04:17 PM   #325
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
So basically Smith promoted, Doug demoted.
Doug technically promoted. I'd call it "pushed aside".
Old 01-13-2020, 04:45 PM   #326
gibbsrcnfan
Camp Scrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Kyle moves up to VP of Player Personnel and will oversee both the college personnel and pro personnel departments. So he's overseeing the work to put together the draft board and overseeing the work to scout out free agents.

Rivera still retains authority on who to actually select in the draft and on who to sign in free agency. But he'll be relying on Kyle's information.

I like the idea of moving your college scouting guy up to this level, once he's proved himself. The guys he put on his draft board three years ago are about to hit free agency in a year or so. So he can combine what he saw in the process leading up to the draft with what he's seeing in the pros.
very happy to see this and thanks Schneed ..

Things are coming together very nicely for a change..
Old 01-13-2020, 05:22 PM   #327
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Wow.

I don't know that I could've asked for a better beginning to the offseason so far.
Dan consults with NFL people outside his chosen circle.
Gruden, Callahan gone, Allen fired.
Doug Williams "promoted" from player evaluations to player mentor.
Ron Rivera hired, with consultation from Gibbs and Snyder.
Kyle Smith promoted to VP of player personnel.

Really the only negative is KOC leaving, but I feel like the Scott Turner hire is only a mild downgrade to start, with the chance to improve depending on offensive performance. My glass is definitely half full now, and we haven't even gotten to FA.
Old 01-13-2020, 06:57 PM   #328
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
Wow.

I don't know that I could've asked for a better beginning to the offseason so far.

Really the only negative is KOC leaving, but I feel like the Scott Turner hire is only a mild downgrade to start, with the chance to improve depending on offensive performance. My glass is definitely half full now, and we haven't even gotten to FA.
Totally agree, with the exception of the OC position being downgraded. I'm not sure we had more in KOC, than we do currently with Turner. Time will tell, but it will probably be a little bit difficult to evaluate KOC's impact with the Rams, and whether any success is his doing or McVay's.
Chief X_Phackter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 07:13 PM   #329
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Besides the Rivera hiring, BA firing, the Smith promotion is the best news this offseason. Would have loved to have KOC too.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 07:13 PM   #330
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
Wow.

I love that everything is moving in a proper order. One step at a time, and with what would seem like due diligence and thought.

Now that Kyle Smith is over thw whole player evaluation and acquisition group, i expect they will look at what options exist for LT, and put together both a "stay here" package for TW as well as trade and replace plan in case the stay here option fails. I would think they want that settled prior to FA, and possibly the combine.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote