Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Coaching and Front Office Changes

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 01-13-2020, 07:53 PM   #331
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Re: Coaching and Front Office Changes

I also like that there hasn't been a leaked video of Eric Shaffer on 14th street making evening plans

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-13-2020, 08:25 PM   #332
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
Totally agree, with the exception of the OC position being downgraded. I'm not sure we had more in KOC, than we do currently with Turner. Time will tell, but it will probably be a little bit difficult to evaluate KOC's impact with the Rams, and whether any success is his doing or McVay's.
I’m super excited for Turner, I thought he was a better choice over KOC. Norv and his offense has NEVER gone out of style and we will get an update version of it thru his son. Haskins size and arm reminds me of Cam (more throwers than passer) Turner got a dose of what a skilled RB does for an offense...AP thanks for the memories...

Also Turners offense was something like the 3rd most playaction passes on first down...a complete opposite of Jay and Callahan.

We will need RB who can catch and TE will be very active in the passing game.

Also, when you look at the defense, most the personnel is set outside CB and probably (hopefully) Free Safety. I expect a lot of movement on offense and Turner working to get guys in his system coming in will only help.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 08:29 PM   #333
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
Here is a link about this from Chuck Sapienza:

https://twitter.com/chucksapienza/st...05485556400128
Cool news...Cooley knows his x and os.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 08:44 PM   #334
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Coaching and Front Office Changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
From Nick Aldrige at PFF on 12/18/19:

So it seems Sweat was dropping into coverage about 50% of the time with little to no experience doing so.

That is mind numbing. If he gets a job in the NFL again I’m really going to start to question reality....
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 05:32 AM   #335
Warthog
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Doug technically promoted. I'd call it "pushed aside".

It’s called a “sideways” move for Doug Williams.

Kyle Smith’s promotion to VP is great!! If he has another great draft and FA he might get the GM nod, or has some have commented, filling the GM job may be not necessarily. But I’m sure Kyle would like another promotion and more money!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flyboy.

"Land of the Free and Home of the Brave"
Warthog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 01:25 PM   #336
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
I think the GM title would be empty, in name only. It wouldn't really mean anything in this case.

Rivera has decision making authority over roster construction. If he wants to delegate it to someone that's his call. But Kyle will put together the draft board and prioritize free agents. Rob Rogers will handle the negotiating. And Rivera will oversee them both - he'll take Kyle's information about free agents, Kyle will make recommendations, and Rivera will tell Rogers who to pursue.

So unless Rivera decides he wants to completely delegate that process to someone and name them General Manager to oversee all of it, I don't imagine a General Manager having much to actually do. You've got the guy handling all things scouting in Smith, you've got the guy handling negotiations in Rogers, and you've got the guy making the decisions in Rivera.

Don't know what else you need, except for a Director of College Personnel to report in to Smith, who already knows that world really well.
They may already have the role filled, but the current structure would seem to leave some gaps in responsibilities. Who handles all the non-football operations stuff? Who is in charge of picking up players during the season and determining when to put guys on IR? Who is responsible for making trades? Rivera is going to be too busy working on his duties as a coach to deal with that sort of stuff during the season. It could be that Kyle is handling all of those duties, but if so, why not give him the GM title?

I still think there is a good chance someone comes in to fill that GM/Team President type role. If for nothing else, I think we need someone to resolve disagreements between Kyle and Ron that is not Snyder.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 01:40 PM   #337
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
They may already have the role filled, but the current structure would seem to leave some gaps in responsibilities. Who handles all the non-football operations stuff? Who is in charge of picking up players during the season and determining when to put guys on IR? Who is responsible for making trades? Rivera is going to be too busy working on his duties as a coach to deal with that sort of stuff during the season. It could be that Kyle is handling all of those duties, but if so, why not give him the GM title?

I still think there is a good chance someone comes in to fill that GM/Team President type role. If for nothing else, I think we need someone to resolve disagreements between Kyle and Ron that is not Snyder.
I really hope they don't do that. The best scenario would be Ron and Kyle working with each other over the next 3 to 4 months including the draft, things go swimmingly, and there is no need to add another individual to the process.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 01:46 PM   #338
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Is Ike Hilliard still the WR coach?
Old 01-14-2020, 01:57 PM   #339
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Is Ike Hilliard still the WR coach?
Nope.

Here is a good summary of coaching hires by Keim:

Redskins assistant coaching hires that are official so far: Scott Turner (OC), Jack Del Rio (DC), John Matsko (OL), Chris Harris (DBs), Pete Hoener (TEs), Ben Jacobs (assistant STs, Sam Mills (DL), Jim Hostler (WRs), Vincent Rivera (quality control), Brett Nenaber (director of athletic performance), Richard Rodgers (assistant DBs), Drew Terrell (assistant WRs), Brent Vieselmeyer (assistant LB/nickelbacks), Travelle Wharton (assistant OL), Luke Del Rio (quality control), Steve Russ (LBs).
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 01:58 PM   #340
mredskins
MVP

Quote:
I really hope they don't do that. The best scenario would be Ron and Kyle working with each other over the next 3 to 4 months including the draft, things go swimmingly, and there is no need to add another individual to the process.
Agree, to many chefs in the kitchen
Old 01-14-2020, 02:07 PM   #341
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
Nope.

Here is a good summary of coaching hires by Keim:

Redskins assistant coaching hires that are official so far: Scott Turner (OC), Jack Del Rio (DC), John Matsko (OL), Chris Harris (DBs), Pete Hoener (TEs), Ben Jacobs (assistant STs, Sam Mills (DL), Jim Hostler (WRs), Vincent Rivera (quality control), Brett Nenaber (director of athletic performance), Richard Rodgers (assistant DBs), Drew Terrell (assistant WRs), Brent Vieselmeyer (assistant LB/nickelbacks), Travelle Wharton (assistant OL), Luke Del Rio (quality control), Steve Russ (LBs).
That is what I thought. But how do you explain this article then.

https://redskinswire.usatoday.com/20...to-be-special/
Old 01-14-2020, 02:12 PM   #342
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
I explained why I think there is a need. During the season, Ron will be too busy coaching the team to worry about non-football ops stuff, making decisions on IR, practice squad players, etc. The goal is not to complicate the process, but to have someone that can handle a lot of the grunt work so he can focus on leading the team.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
Old 01-14-2020, 02:27 PM   #343
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
I explained why I think there is a need. During the season, Ron will be too busy coaching the team to worry about non-football ops stuff, making decisions on IR, practice squad players, etc. The goal is not to complicate the process, but to have someone that can handle a lot of the grunt work so he can focus on leading the team.
Hopefully he can handle it. I'm pretty sure that's what he was brought in to do.
Old 01-14-2020, 02:29 PM   #344
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
Hopefully he can handle it. I'm pretty sure that's what he was brought in to do.
I'm pretty sure he was not brought in to handle non-football ops stuff, at minimum. Unless I've missed a hire, this portion of Bruce's old job has not yet been filled.

Currently, we are "down a man" in the front office when compared to most other organizations.
Old 01-14-2020, 02:47 PM   #345
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
I'm pretty sure he was not brought in to handle non-football ops stuff, at minimum. Unless I've missed a hire, this portion of Bruce's old job has not yet been filled.

Currently, we are "down a man" in the front office when compared to most other organizations.
I agree that he wasn't, but there is time to find that guy. Every indication is that we will bring in a GM after the draft, and that guy should be a Rivera guy, not Kyle Smith. You don't double jump a college personnel guy to GM. Bring in a recognized GM, maybe Morocco Brown, but definitely bring a guy in.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote