Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

McCardell takes on task of developing Devin Thomas, Malcolm Kelly

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 04-30-2010, 07:51 AM   #1
MTK
\m/

McCardell takes on task of developing Devin Thomas, Malcolm Kelly

The Redskins will enter next week's minicamp with more than a dozen wide receivers ready to go. It'll surely be a packed position meeting room, and the guy at the center of it -- new wide receivers coach Keenan McCardell -- will be trying to make sure as many of those receivers as possible are capable of competing for a roster spot.

Redskins Insider - McCardell takes on task of developing Devin Thomas, Malcolm Kelly

Advertisements
Old 04-30-2010, 07:57 AM   #2
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Re: McCardell takes on task of developing Devin Thomas, Malcolm Kelly

Talking about Moss, McCardell said:
Quote:
The Redskins are "adding more to his role, giving him more on his plate," McCardell said. "He's that guy, he's that veteran, he's the guy that I lean on to do things right to show these guys. Giving him more has made him so much more attentive to everything, even to the young guys. I know how he is, he's kind of a soft-spoken leader, he doesn't say much, [but] I've seen him change a little bit. I even told him, I said, 'Man, you're talking a little bit more.' Which is good, I like it because he's bought in and he is understanding it. He's chomping at the bit right now but he's like my pencil, I got to keep
that lead sharp, I gotta always keep my pencil sharp and he's my pencil."
I think, in this light, it could be said that Wade and Galloway are just additional pencils.

Galloway especially knows how to perform at a high level, so between McCardell teaching, and Galloway executing, I hope Kelly and/or Thomas listen, watch, learn and step up this season.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 09:00 AM   #3
Longtimefan
Playmaker

All of our receivers (especially the younger ones) should benefit greatly from the experience of McCardell. The fact he so recently played the game with good results should not be lost on them, a fact that should also make it easier for him to relate.

The hiring of McCardell to me is reminiscent to the hiring of Charlie Taylor, a former player drafted by the Redskins who had the honor of coaching some pretty good receivers. If McCardell can come close to duplicating the same success with Thomas, Kelly and Mitchell that Taylor did with Brown, Clark, Sanders, Garrett and Monk (HOF) among others, I'll be more than content with that type results. Even though McCardell spent the majority of his NFL career elsewhere, he's a home grown talent I want to see have success as our W/R coach.

Last edited by Longtimefan; 04-30-2010 at 02:11 PM.
Longtimefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 12:00 PM   #4
53Fan
Franchise Player

I'm really interested to see what McCardell can do with these guys. I wasn't a big fan of Hixon. I have a feeling McCardell will be much more "hands on" with the receivers. After all, he could probably step in and run routes today if he wanted to.
Old 04-30-2010, 12:02 PM   #5
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

I hope that McCardell's experience in the NFL will translate over well to coaching. Some guys can do it and some guys can't. Here's to him developing many receivers in the future. I almost said 10x the number of Hixon, but that would still be 0
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 12:07 PM   #6
53Fan
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryfuhl View Post
I hope that McCardell's experience in the NFL will translate over well to coaching. Some guys can do it and some guys can't. Here's to him developing many receivers in the future. I almost said 10x the number of Hixon, but that would still be 0
Old 04-30-2010, 02:15 PM   #7
Whiskeybilt
Camp Scrub

I hope the three young guns can really take a giant step forward. I think they will.

DT is a unique type of player, being a former RB, with a great work ethic and attitude. I'm interested to see how the Shannys can find new ways to use him.
Whiskeybilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 02:38 PM   #8
GhettoDogAllStars
Playmaker

I have always liked McCardell -- he seems like a smart guy. I watched him for many years in Tampa, when I lived there, and man he made some really spectacular catches over the years. Good luck to him and our WRs.
Old 04-30-2010, 02:51 PM   #9
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Either the guys can play or they can't. Too much is being made about the coaching. Hixon may or may not have been a good wr's coach. We don't know cause we're not inside the building. It didn't matter who coached Art Monk and Gary Clark cause they were ballers.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 02:58 PM   #10
SirClintonPortis
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Either the guys can play or they can't. Too much is being made about the coaching. Hixon may or may not have been a good wr's coach. We don't know cause we're not inside the building. It didn't matter who coached Art Monk and Gary Clark cause they were ballers.
The nature of human capital in football is not well-represented by your ridiculous oversimplification.

Virtuosity remembered, douchebaggery forgotten.

The ideal character profile shoved down modern Western men and women's throats is Don Juan.
SirClintonPortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 03:00 PM   #11
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
I'm sure coaching helps. Just a crazy thought.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 03:10 PM   #12
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Of course coaching helps but it seems to me that Malcom Kelly just isn't an NFL caliber WR. The guy has done nothing in two years. Is KM suppose to waive a magic wan and all of sudden get production out of these two guys?? KM has an uphill battle working with this group.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 03:16 PM   #13
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

I realize that KM wasn't a 2nd round pick, but considering he did basically nothing his first 3 years in the league before he took off I would assume he, more than anyone, would understand 2 years is too soon to write Kelly or DT off
Old 04-30-2010, 03:19 PM   #14
GhettoDogAllStars
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I realize that KM wasn't a 2nd round pick, but considering he did basically nothing his first 3 years in the league before he took off I would assume he, more than anyone, would understand 2 years is too soon to write Kelly or DT off
Yeah, history shows that most WRs bloom in their 3rd year.
Old 04-30-2010, 03:27 PM   #15
mlmdub130
Playmaker

Quote:
Of course coaching helps but it seems to me that Malcom Kelly just isn't an NFL caliber WR. The guy has done nothing in two years. Is KM suppose to waive a magic wan and all of sudden get production out of these two guys?? KM has an uphill battle working with this group.
coaching helps alot especially in the early years at wide receiver, there are a lot of tricks to running an effective route in the nfl. at high school and college levels you can just run faster, but in the nfl evryone is fast. so perfect route running to give you that extra 2 feet before the side lines on a out pattern on 3rd down is very crucial. hopefully they(dt, mk, and mm) will all develop this year and grow into a great young threesome of wr's for years to come

ST21
mlmdub130 is offline   Reply With Quote