Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Leftwich or Ramsey?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 02-25-2004, 04:37 PM   #1
BleedBurgundy
Playmaker

Leftwich or Ramsey?

Here's the question, would you rather have Byron Leftwich or Ramsey as your QB? Obviously the Jags thought they were better off with the rook over Brunell, so does our front office honestly consider Leftwich superior to Ramsey? Ramsey has 2 years experience, seems ready for a great season, assuming Bugel gets the wrinkles in the o-line ironed out and has a great character. Leftwich doesn't have the same arm strength and has a pair of creaking knees already. Do the Jags know something we don't? It's not like Brunell is the answer to all of our prayers, QB was not even close to a glaring need except that Gibbs wanted a proven veteran in the line-up.
BleedBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 02-25-2004, 04:42 PM   #2
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

I think it was as much a financial decision as anything else to go with Leftwich over Brunell. The Jags are in a rebuilding mode (though I think they're really going to surprise a lot of people next year, could be the Panthers of 2004), and financially Brunell was more of a burden than that team needed or wanted.
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 04:46 PM   #3
BleedBurgundy
Playmaker

Financial issues aside it seemed like Leftwich beat out Brunell last year, rebuilding mode or not.
Old 02-25-2004, 05:17 PM   #4
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Leftwich is great, but I love the heart and dedication PR shows for this team!
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 05:24 PM   #5
BleedBurgundy
Playmaker

I'd go with Ramsey over Leftwich any day. Leftwich is a good QB, but I believe that Ramsey is much more of a proven commodity. I've never seen a player take a beating like he did last year. Leftwich wouldn't have lasted 3 weeks with that punishment. His legs couldn't have taken it.
Old 02-25-2004, 05:29 PM   #6
MTK
\m/

I'd take Ramsey myself but I think both are going to be very good QB's in this league for a long time.
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 05:37 PM   #7
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

I don't think we need to look at Brunell as much as an indictment of Ramsey as much as a desire by Gibbs to have a veteran QB.. Let's be realistic, Gibbs probably has 3-4 years as head coach in him. This year, Ramsey isn't likely to go from Spurrier's coaching and a 4-7 record to a Super Bowl QB. Brunell has been to 2 AFC Championship games and 3 Pro Bowls.. I think people are way too much into the gloom and doom of the demise of Ramsey instead of looking at what Gibbs is trying to accomplish. The Portis trade screams "WIN NOW".. Trading 2nd & 3rd round picks for proven, productive players that can win games for you this season are the acts of a coach who isn't interested in building, just winning and doing it soon.

To answer the thread, I think the Redskins would rather have Ramsey, they know what he can do and there are fewer questions about him than there are about Leftwich..
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 05:44 PM   #8
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain
I don't think we need to look at Brunell as much as an indictment of Ramsey as much as a desire by Gibbs to have a veteran QB.
That's a great way to put it. Alot of people are complaining that Ramsey is being disrespected, that he deserves the job, how can Gibbs do this to him, etc.

The fact is Gibbs is here to win and win now. And if he thinks this team has a better shot at winning now with a veteran QB, who can realistically argue with that?

Gibbs is not dumb. I can guarantee that he sees the same things in Ramsey that we've all seen and what has made alot of us such big supporters of him. He's got a rocket arm, he's tough as nails, he's smart and a natural leader. But in Gibbs' eyes there is one critical thing he lacks, big game experience, and that's exactly what Brunell brings to the table.
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 05:46 PM   #9
BleedBurgundy
Playmaker

I just hope that PR is man enough to deal with this. His agent could really throw a wrench into things whispering in his ear. Oh well, at least his wife hasn't called into any radio shows, right?
Old 02-25-2004, 05:50 PM   #10
Gmanc711
Thank You, Sean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal
Leftwich is great, but I love the heart and dedication PR shows for this team!
I agree with you 100%. Its hard to tell, I mean they both showed some great flashes, despite niether winning many games last year. I really think the Jags are gonna be a dominate team next year though. I honestly think Ramsey has the ability to beat out Brunell this year as well, I just hope he brings it with him to camp. The Jags really had no reason to play Brunell last season, they knew they werent going anywhere, and that Leftiwtch was their franchise qb ( sound fimilar ) haha.
Gmanc711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 07:12 PM   #11
BrunellFan
Special Teams

Its too early to tell with both of them. If Ramsey gets the start this season, he will put up a better rating, while Leftwich will put up more yards, TDs.

Remember, Ramsey's numbers are going to be more conservative in the future because our offense is going to be give it to Portis again again again...
BrunellFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 07:21 PM   #12
azskinsfan2
Special Teams

I think Matty hit the nail on the head. Gibbs wants to win now and for that he probably needs Brunnell, a proven veteran. I really hope Patrick sticks around and learns from them both and in the next year or two he'll be the full time starter and the future of the Skins!!!! We need them both!!! And the way QB's get hurt in this league Patrick is always only a play away from being the starter again!!! Give things a chance PR!!!
azskinsfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 07:24 PM   #13
cpayne5
Playmaker

Having both Brunell and Ramsey gives us the best chance to win now AND later. I'm a huge PR supporter, but I respect the decision.
Old 02-25-2004, 07:55 PM   #14
sportscurmudgeon
Playmaker

Bleedburgandy:

Ramsey is one tough hombre and I like him a lot. But please don't try to put him head and shoulders abouve Leftwich on that scale. In college, Leftwich played THREE games on a broken bone in his leg and had to be carried by his offensive linemen into the huddle after every play. On the toughness bus, Leftwich takes a back seat to no one - - including Patrick Ramsey.

If I had to choose between the two, I'd probably flip a coin. I think both will have very nice careers in the NFL.
sportscurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 08:10 PM   #15
offiss

I have been adimate about how good I think ramsey will be, I believe he is better than both lefty and brunnell, and I do believe at this point regardless of the money that ramsey will have a fair shot to start, I think gibb's thinking is he doesn't want the season to end with 1 good blow to our starter, ala the jet's 4 yrs. ago with testeverde, this should also mean regardless of what comes out of the ramsey camp there's no way he will be dealt, this situation is going to work itself out it's just a matter of time, but I defiently believe that RAMSEY IS THE MAN!
offiss is offline   Reply With Quote