Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

Cars, First cars?

Parking Lot

Old 01-28-2018, 07:44 AM   #1
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Cars, First cars?

So I started to think if there was something we could all share in without getting to heated and I thought about cars,specifically what was your very first car? Be it your parents and it was all you had to drive or the first that was really yours let's hear what you did with that first taste of freedom? If there was already a thread like this I apologize.

Got my license in March of 1973(NJ age of 17)I had 2 brothers and four sisters and Mom had a 1970 Olds Vista Cruser station wagon and Dad had a 1969 Olds 98 convertible and we had a 1971 VW(automatic)bug for the kids to share. My oldest siblings were in college so the bug was pretty much mine. I loved it,to be able to actually pick up a date without relying on someone else was AWESOME! It might not have been as cool as some of the rich guys cars but I loved it!

Same color......

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds...e/2064783.html

Last edited by Giantone; 01-29-2018 at 05:30 AM.
Giantone is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-28-2018, 01:29 PM   #2
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Re: Cars, First cars?

Oh man. Lol I had a 1995 dodge stratus as my first car. Installed a CD player for like 200 bucks and it actually skipped when I went over bumps. Because I was super into WWF at the time I called her trish.
Old 01-28-2018, 01:47 PM   #3
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

This should be a good thread. I got my license at 19, and the first car I drove for about 6 months was my parents' 2005 Toyota Sienna while I worked a seasonal job at Toys-R-Us. Then I quit that job in Jan' 08 after they cut my hours from 45-50 to 6 a week, and for 6 months I was carless. I bought a beater, a '93 Altima whose exhaust was rusted through and through, and I spent a month patching it with my dad until it would pass emissions. That car lasted me a year, until I traded it with my mom, who was divorcing my dad and couldn't afford the payments on a 2009 Corolla. I've been driving that Corolla from March '09 until now, and the trans is crapping out so I have to make a decision soon. Anyways, even though the Sienna was the first car I drove, I consider the Altima my first car because that was in my name. Now I actually have the option to decide what I'd like to get and I'm totally not sure because I've never had this option in 11 years before.

Anyways, don't want to derail this thread, so yeah. First car was a Sienna, super reliable but I hated it because the dumb jokes I heard all the time from my friends.
Old 01-28-2018, 02:31 PM   #4
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
This should be a good thread. I got my license at 19, and the first car I drove for about 6 months was my parents' 2005 Toyota Sienna while I worked a seasonal job at Toys-R-Us. Then I quit that job in Jan' 08 after they cut my hours from 45-50 to 6 a week, and for 6 months I was carless. I bought a beater, a '93 Altima whose exhaust was rusted through and through, and I spent a month patching it with my dad until it would pass emissions. That car lasted me a year, until I traded it with my mom, who was divorcing my dad and couldn't afford the payments on a 2009 Corolla. I've been driving that Corolla from March '09 until now, and the trans is crapping out so I have to make a decision soon. Anyways, even though the Sienna was the first car I drove, I consider the Altima my first car because that was in my name. Now I actually have the option to decide what I'd like to get and I'm totally not sure because I've never had this option in 11 years before.

Anyways, don't want to derail this thread, so yeah. First car was a Sienna, super reliable but I hated it because the dumb jokes I heard all the time from my friends.

I am impressed! No license till you were 19 ! The first car that I actual bought myself was a used 1977 Nova .Once I got married I would (still do) buy a car for the Mrs pay it off and then I take over that car and she gets another new one.

Take your time and do your homework. We have been driving Toyota's and Hyundai's for years now and they are reliable as hell! Get what is good for you.
Old 01-28-2018, 06:38 PM   #5
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
I am impressed! No license till you were 19 ! The first car that I actual bought myself was a used 1977 Nova .Once I got married I would (still do) buy a car for the Mrs pay it off and then I take over that car and she gets another new one.

Take your time and do your homework. We have been driving Toyota's and Hyundai's for years now and they are reliable as hell! Get what is good for you.
My mom didn't even want me to get my license at 19 lol, I had a couple major seizures when I was 12/13 and she thought I shouldn't be driving. I went against her wishes because I was graduating high school and I wanted one desperately.

I'm thinking Toyota too, the Corolla has treated me well until this trans issue. It has no 4th gear now so highways are a pain. Honda's have a good track record too and I hear nothing but good things about new Hyundai's. So we'll see.
Old 01-28-2018, 06:47 PM   #6
MTK
\m/

My first car was a hand me down, a 79 Oldsmobile Toronado. I didn’t have it long before it shit the bed, my next car was 79 Grand Marquis. I basically drove old man cars as a kid.
Old 01-28-2018, 08:16 PM   #7
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

My first car, the family learning vehicle, was a 1967 blue VW beetle. It was the same age as me when I got my license in the summer of 1983. It had seen 4 kids so far through high school and way more right front fenders than it should have. It took me all the way to my graduation but when I left the Capital Center on high school graduation day, the engine threw a rod, and after 18 years, that Beetle said it had done its duty. LOL
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 04:52 AM   #8
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Cars, First cars?

1984 Nissan Sentra. My sister got it for her first car new. In 1989 i got it as a hand me down. It got the nickname Bertha because it took me and my friends to alot of dead shows. ✌️I had that thing until about 1995. I remember it cost about 11 bucks to fill up when i got it. Great thread and idea about the “bonding” thread G-1. Now excuse me while i go pick up my wife at JFK at 4:30 am. 🤬
This time in a brand new Subaru Forester (that cost about 45 to fill up) she got right before her vacation. Im sure my vacation and/or new car is right around the corner

Last edited by punch it in; 01-29-2018 at 05:33 AM.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 05:37 AM   #9
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
My first car was a hand me down, a 79 Oldsmobile Toronado. I didn’t have it long before it shit the bed, my next car was 79 Grand Marquis. I basically drove old man cars as a kid.
LOL, pretty much .I would try to take my Dad's (1969) Olds 98 when I would go on a date or to a "drive In movie",....the room in that thing was amazing!!

This is the car ,just yellow with a white interior and top(Best Drive In car in the world!!!)
https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds...8/2032936.html

This was mom's car but a darker blue.These are the two I started out on.
https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds...ag/oldsmobile/

Last edited by Giantone; 02-16-2018 at 08:47 AM.
Giantone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 05:47 AM   #10
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
My first car, the family learning vehicle, was a 1967 blue VW beetle. It was the same age as me when I got my license in the summer of 1983. It had seen 4 kids so far through high school and way more right front fenders than it should have. It took me all the way to my graduation but when I left the Capital Center on high school graduation day, the engine threw a rod, and after 18 years, that Beetle said it had done its duty. LOL
Ours did the same thing.Three kids and three colleges all in New England and PA it just finally died after 237,000 miles and almost ten years not bad for a basic lawn mower. My Dad had bought himself a new car and my brother and I pushed it to the dealer left it on his lot with the keys and a note as a trade in.
Old 01-29-2018, 08:36 AM   #11
metalskins
The Starter

The first car I drove was a 1986 Mercury Sable. I was 16 when I got my license and felt so grown up getting to drive the last two days of my 10 grade year! This was 1991, so the car actually wasn't very old. Drove it until about 1994 when the heater coil went out in it, dad parked it in the garage thinking he was going to figure out how to fix it, but never did. I then got a hand-me-down 1989 Toyota Corolla that my sister-in-law had bought brand new, and then either gave it to my dad or sold it to him. I drove that for a couple years until I bought my very first, brand new car - '96 Dodge Neon!

OK, I know you didn't want a full car history lol!
Old 01-29-2018, 12:36 PM   #12
DidierAubin87
Camp Scrub

My first car I drove is a used Mazda RX8 2004 for sale (https://carfromjapan.com/cheap-used-...-sale-year2004) that I bought from a popular Japanese platform when I was 27 years old. Its color is red and its look is very sexy & hot. I drove it on the road, some girls had to pay attention, look at me like I was a hot boy. Although it is a used car but the performance was very good, no one already knew it was since 2004 ).
DidierAubin87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 06:15 PM   #13
jamf
Pro Bowl

My first car was a 65 Mustang(this was around 1994, I was 17).
my dad had a marine corp buddy who had it as his project car. he was in the process of fixing the exterior when he needed money in a hurry and I ended up getting it for $1800 I think.
The body work was completed and in great shape but the paint was completely stripped. Engine was only a few years old and it ran great.

Ended up trading it for a Toyota pickup which was my southern California high mileage commuter car through college.
jamf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 08:51 PM   #14
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamf View Post
My first car was a 65 Mustang(this was around 1994, I was 17).
my dad had a marine corp buddy who had it as his project car. he was in the process of fixing the exterior when he needed money in a hurry and I ended up getting it for $1800 I think.
The body work was completed and in great shape but the paint was completely stripped. Engine was only a few years old and it ran great.

Ended up trading it for a Toyota pickup which was my southern California high mileage commuter car through college.
WOW! I must say I would have loved that.(the mustang)
Old 02-05-2018, 09:00 PM   #15
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

Got my license at 16 (1995) and drove Mom's car for a bit. It was a early 90s Ford Taurus (1992 I think). That year around Christmas time, my mom's co-worker was selling her 1988 Chevy Cavalier coupe, so My Dad bought it and let me drive it. So while the Taurus was the first car I drove (I ended up buying a 95 Taurus as my 3rd car when I graduated college), I consider the Cavalier my first car. My favorite car was my 2nd car, which was a 1988 Honda Accord coupe with a manual transmission. I had so much fun in that car.

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote