Re: 2016 Combine

DB Kevin Byard--Middle Tenn
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 02-27-2016, 08:12 AM   #47
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

I watched some of the OL and RB drills yesterday and I'd like to report (comment? express ignorant opinions?) on what I observed. Just so you know, I think there is value in watching these players work out at the Combine. You can get a direct comparison of the athleticism of players. So, here we go:

Of all the O-Lineman I saw, Laremy Tunsil and Ronnie Stanley were easily the most polished. Both of them have everything you could want in a LT. To keep it simple, I should just say "WOW!".

Jason Spriggs of Indiana also showed well at OT. Right now he's 6-6 301 and I'm sure he can carry more weight.

If we want a C in this draft, we'd better make our move early. Ryan Kelly and Nick Martin are both NFL starting material. After them, meh. Kelly is bigger and faster than Marin but hey are both very athletic and Martin has excellent quickness, if not speed. Kelly is a beast at 6-4 311 and although Martin came in at 6-4 299 he has the frame to play at 315 or thereabouts. So, two very fine center prospects, IMO.

At OG, Cody Whitehair and Chrisrian Westerman really stood out for their athleticism, especially Whitehair. Neither of them is big, as NFL guards go. That could be an issue for both of them. Westerman is very powerful and seems to be able to anchor against anybody.

Another OG who stood out was Sebastian Tretola. He's a bit slow but he has good quickness and an amazing lower body. Right now, he's 6-4 314 and I think he can improve his upper body. Tretola could become a real people mover.

At RB, Ezikiel Elliott is The Man! He has everything you want in a RB. He wowed me with his quick feet and his blinding lateral quickness. Derrick Henry is not far behind Elliot in athleticism. That really surprised me. Henry is 6-3 247. That is the kind of size than Scot M. loves. Those two were far and away the best looking RB prospects.

Kenneth Dixon has the best hands of any RB I saw. He's very athletic but he wasn't quite as fast as I expected. Nevertheless, he ran 4.55 at 5-10 216. I think he could become a very good 3rd Down back in the NFL.

C.J. Prosise was very solid at everything he did. At 6-0 220 he could handle some 1st and 2nd down carries, he's a very good receiver, he has very good speed, and he is supposed to be a ST maven. There is a lot to like about him.

Daniel Lasco may be the best athlete of the whole bunch. Does everything well. At 6-0 209, he's probably a 3rd Down back in the NFL. He's been hurt a lot.

Tyler Ervin of San Jose State is a good looking athlete. He can run and catch and he's been a good return man in college. He has a small frame at 5-10 192, so he would be limited to a 3rd down role and ST.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 08:18 AM   #48
30gut
Playmaker

QBs I'm excited to see:

Paxton Lynch-underrated in my eyes, played under the same coach/system as Andy Dalton, for me he's as pro-ready as Goff or Wentz

Hackenberg, Jacoby B, Ark QB and Vernon Adams

WRs-
Tyler Boyd
Want to see him run a good 10 yard split and 40; if he does at least a 2nd round prospect

Similar question speed question about Higgins
Josh Doctsun and Corey Coleman- whose faster?

Shep from OU

Looking for who runs fluid but crisp routes with tight breaks little wasted movement
Old 02-27-2016, 08:23 AM   #49
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30gut View Post
QBs I'm excited to see:

Paxton Lynch-underrated in my eyes, played under the same coach/system as Andy Dalton, for me he's as pro-ready as Goff or Wentz

Hackenberg, Jacoby B, Ark QB and Vernon Adams

WRs-
Tyler Boyd
Want to see him run a good 10 yard split and 40; if he does at least a 2nd round prospect

Shep from OU

Looking for who runs fluid but crisp routes with tight breaks little wasted movement
What is the appeal of Hackenberg? I watched a lot of Big Ten football and I thought he didn't play very well at all.
Old 02-27-2016, 08:45 AM   #50
30gut
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
I watched some of the OL and RB drills yesterday and I'd like to report...
Thanks for the breakdown. Didn't get to watch as much of the OL and haven't really been following them this year. Watched the re-cap and Spriggs stood out as lesser known (by me at least) OL with outstanding athleticism.

Quote:
At RB, Ezikiel Elliott is The Man! He has everything you want in a RB. He wowed me with his quick feet and his blinding lateral quickness. Derrick Henry is not far behind Elliot in athleticism. That really surprised me. Henry is 6-3 247. That is the kind of size than Scot M. loves. Those two were far and away the best looking RB prospects.
There have been some draftboards and mocks that have Elliott making to our pick at 21 but I side with the draftboards and mocks that think Zeke will be long gone.

I like Henry in the 2-3 round, big explosive back. His running style (not body type) reminds me of Murray; Eddie George size with speed. Not a lot of side to side wiggle but good downhill vision with speed and momentum. With an OL that keeps him clean in the backfield and build steam could put up good numbers.

Quote:
C.J. Prosise was very solid at everything he did. At 6-0 220 he could handle some 1st and 2nd down carries, he's a very good receiver, he has very good speed, and he is supposed to be a ST maven. There is a lot to like about him.
Alvin Walton? and I were discussing him a the RB thread. CJ backed up solid tape with good measurables. He's only been a RB for 1 season, so he's still learning he was a former WR.

Quote:
Daniel Lasco may be the best athlete of the whole bunch.
Explosive dude, that gets injured a bunch. Read that he's a special teams stud.
Fast dudes that can tackle and are tough build a solid special teams unit...gonna check him out on film

Quote:
Tyler Ervin of San Jose State is a good looking athlete. He can run and catch and he's been a good return man in college. He has a small frame at 5-10 192, so he would be limited to a 3rd down role and ST.
Never heard of this kid prior, so he's one of the people the combine will cause me to watch to on film. The NFLN guys were saying that despite his stature he toted the ball a ton some games 30+ carries. His quickness and speed are eye popping.
Old 02-27-2016, 12:10 PM   #51
30gut
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
What is the appeal of Hackenberg? I watched a lot of Big Ten football and I thought he didn't play very well at all.
The appeal of Hackenberg for who? I'm interested to see how he looks. Footwork, arm strength release, ball placement on routes etc side by side with the other QBs.

QBs I forgot to mention before that I'm looking forward to watching:
Boykin, Cardale, Dak Prescott
Old 02-27-2016, 12:34 PM   #52
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Wil fuller WR ran a 4.32 40

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 01:01 PM   #53
30gut
Playmaker

TEs coming up today, haven't followed the TE this year at all, might get some good insight (or not) from Greg Olsen as provides TE commentary
Old 02-28-2016, 09:57 AM   #54
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Do we know who the skins interviewed at the combine?

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 03:12 PM   #55
30gut
Playmaker

K.O. has a front row seat running one of the LB movement drills
Old 02-28-2016, 04:51 PM   #56
30gut
Playmaker

Catching up on the combine

QB thoughts on how the QBs looked at the combine:

The big 3

Wentz delivered, to my eye clearly threw the ball better then anyone there. Solid footwork on 5-7 step throws. Ball came out clean, threw the ball with confidence. Looked confident.

Goff quick feet, quick arm, footwork wasn't as crisp as Wentz (to be expected for spread guy) Very fluid, looks natural throwing the ball, not as much pop in his arm as Wentz though

LynchDidn't throw the ball as well as I saw on film, mainly b/c imo he was thinking about his footwork in 3-5-7 instead on just ripping the throws. To my eye he has one of the best arms in the draft but didn't throw that way. On film Pax is still my pick for #1 QB.

Other guys that stood out to me:

Jake BrissettNow I'm speaking strictly about the combine. Jake threw the ball as well as anyone. Good footwork but a little plodding. But the his throwing motion and delivery of the ball is fluid and easy. Has plenty of easy velocity and wasn't trying to gun every throw (kinda like Wentz). But when it came time to throw the go routes I thought he was the best

Stave- arm talent stood out to me, he was like a mini-jugs machine the ball comes out clean with velocity, compact and consistent. Every throw was solid and the throwing mechanics were consistent nearly identical. Footwork was solid but a little choppy; missed the least throws to my recall

BoykinThrew the ball well. Nice compact delivery. Consistent mechanics. Footwork on the the 5-7 wasn't sharp but again its to be expected for a spread guy but threw the ball well (better then some pro-style QBs with solid footwork)

AdamsVery confident thrower with liver arm then I expected. Solid and consistent with his throws. Footwork was good for a spread guy

Brandon AllenRock solid footwork, good arm mechanics; not the most arm strength and it showed on the corner routes but had a good day throwing
Old 02-28-2016, 05:06 PM   #57
30gut
Playmaker

Jay ‏@RedskinsCult 12m12 minutes ago

(Updated) Confirmed prospect meetings/interviews with the #Redskins.
Old 02-28-2016, 05:41 PM   #58
30gut
Playmaker

WRs

Quote:
WRs-
Tyler Boyd

Shep from OU
Tyler Boyd

4.58 SEC (10 yard split 1.60)

11 REPS

34.0 INCH

119.0 INCH

6.90 SEC

4.35 SEC

Treadwell seems to have a more mature body but other then that I don't see a big gap between him and Boyd

Doctsun

4.50 SEC (1.59)

14 REPS

41.0 INCH

Top Performer

131.0 INCH

Top Performer

6.84 SEC

4.08 SEC

Top Performer

I wish Coleman would have ran so I could finally decide where to rank these guys. But right now I got Doctsun as my #1 WR over Treadwell and Coleman pending their pro-days. I like the fact that he stepped up to the table and ran. Coleman I kinda understand with the injury but he did the vert?

I really like Doctsun's body control and ability to adjust to the ball

Shep
4.48 SEC (1.55 insert flame imoji)

20 REPS

Top Performer

41.0 INCH

Top Performer

123.0 INCH

7.00 SEC

I love this kid. Someone is gonna have to convince why he can't be an outside receiver. Quick and sudden in and out of breaks, really explosive movement. Looked very strong and fluid.
Old 02-28-2016, 05:49 PM   #59
30gut
Playmaker

Forgot my man Hollywood:

4.64 SEC (1.63)

13 REPS

32.0 INCH

116.0 INCH

Disappointed in Higgins 40 and 10 yard split. Still like his movement and catching ability, still see him as a fit coming from a pro-style WCO he'll have a good understanding of the route tree and how to run them
Old 02-28-2016, 06:31 PM   #60
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Re: WRs

Quote:

Shep
4.48 SEC (1.55 insert flame imoji)

20 REPS

Top Performer

41.0 INCH

Top Performer

123.0 INCH

7.00 SEC

I love this kid. Someone is gonna have to convince why he can't be an outside receiver. Quick and sudden in and out of breaks, really explosive movement. Looked very strong and fluid.
I think I can convince you. He can't be an outside receiver because we're going to draft him and he'll play play slot receiver for us since we already have DJax and Pierre on the outside. At least, that's what I've been day-dreaming about.

BTW, today Darron Lee of Ohio State ran 4.47 with a 1.55 ten yard split. Now get this: Lee is a 6-1 232 lb. LB!