Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

"Sean's Gone" - Echo '08

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 11-26-2008, 08:41 PM   #1
-Om-
Special Teams

"Sean's Gone" - Echo '08

This was written the day Sean Taylor died.
For the past few days I have searched for the
right words to say one year later ... and found none.

The raw immediacy may have passed,
but the emotional echoes remain.

Rather than grasping for new words, then,
removed as they must be from the truth of the moment,
I humbly offer here the words that poured out,
almost unbidden, on that cold, rainy day.

We have not forgotten.

"Sean's Gone"
11/27/07

It’s not a long drive to my son’s high school, maybe 15 minutes.

Most mornings, we share sleepy wise cracks—which of us looks worse, whose day projects out the bigger pain, the lameness of a certain radio commercial.

Sometimes we talk daily routine—remembering to turn in an order form, calling if he needs to be picked up, the logistics of an upcoming outing with friends.

Sometimes we talk a little sports—Redskins, mostly.

Once in a while, as events dictate, we talk real life—there will be other girls, they just discovered an Earth-like planet 20 light-years away, it’s junior year partner, these grades count.

Tuesday morning, we rode in silence.

He’d had a strange look on his face as he came down the hall from the living room, where the morning news was playing, when we readied to leave the house. His voice had a flatness to it when he spoke.

“Sean’s gone.”

I wasn’t fully awake—I didn’t understand. Then I saw the look in his eyes, the awful news story I had fallen asleep thinking about came flooding back and I understood only too well. I don’t remember now if it was raining as we headed out into the dark, but it always will be in my memory.

As we were pulling out into the road a minute later, a voice on the car radio confirmed the reality.

“Washington Redskins safety Sean Taylor died this morning from a gunshot wound suffered in his home …”

We drove in silence, staring straight ahead.

I don’t really know if the time it took to get to the school took forever, or if it flashed by in an instant. Time has a strange quality to it in times of stress. What I do recall is the unsettling jumble of disjointed thoughts, feelings and impressions.

I remember thinking I should “say something.” My boy’s favorite athlete—in his eyes one of those larger-than-life figures we all hold up to the light that help form our young selves—had just been senselessly shot down in the prime of his life. I should be a rock. Paternal. Wise.

I thought I shouldn’t let him see me cry. A father teaches his son that men are steady in a storm. And then I thought I absolutely should let him see me cry. A father should teach his son there is not shame, but honor, in sharing his humanity.

I felt the onset of fury, the urge to say something—do something—about this insanity. About yet another needless violent death, about yet another fatherless child.

I felt the wearying, familiar heaviness in my chest, as just the latest in an endless parade of man’s-inhumanity-to-man headlines unfolded around me. They say one grows colder, harder inside as one gets older. That has not been my experience.

I thought about the burgundy “21” jersey hanging in my son’s closet … and how when we watch the games together, we always exchange—exchanged—knowing grins when a Redskin flashed into the screen to blow up an opposing runner, or an opposing receiver inexplicably short-armed a promising ball.

“Taylor.”

I tried to push away thoughts about the on-field impact this would have on my favorite football team, and wished I was the kind of man who didn’t have to remind himself there will be a time for that, and this was not it ...

CLICK HERE to read more

-Om- is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 11-26-2008, 09:24 PM   #2
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

Re: "Sean's Gone" - Echo '08

.........powerful stuff man.........
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 09:54 PM   #3
DarkKnight
Special Teams

Wow, my Son is 7 and a year ago, I had that same feeling on my face and in my body, Sean Taylor was to Football as, we are to breathing, it was beautiful to watch and i watch with envy, cause my son, still today, says "Daddy one day I will bring the hat like Sean Taylor", Sean Taylor, everytime you say it or think about it, it cut's like loosing a love one, and I really felt that bad, I walked around for days asking God, why did you have to take this one.......and Why now, I find myself after having a hard day, drinking some Cold Ones, I am on Google, looking a Sean Taylor Video's thinking, God dont make Sean Taylors anymore, there is no player close to the beast he is, when it comes to talent and fear, because in football, you have to have talent, and you must be feared. Sunday will be hard, just like every other day has been without him.........I miss you Sean, I miss you, you brought joy to our live's and if I am lucky enough to see my son, who loves football, so much play until he is an adult, I pray he has a touch of you in him. Good by brother...........Good by
Old 11-26-2008, 10:10 PM   #4
GMScud
Swearinger

Well written, Om. You summed up the gamut of thoughts and emotions felt that day very, very well. I am still so sad.

DarkKnight, you said it too. None of us actually knew him, yet losing him cut so deeply. I wept. Literally wept. I can say without shame that I truly LOVE the Redskins. I feel their losses and victories emotionally. I relate to the personalities of players and coaches. The Skins are a big part of my life. And losing Sean felt like losing a family member. I was devastated.

Every morning when I get dressed, I see my 21 jersey hanging in closet. It wasn't intentional, but it gives me some perspective every time I see it.

God bless you, Sean.
Old 11-26-2008, 10:55 PM   #5
53Fan
Franchise Player

I am truly touched by these posts guys. There is nothing I can add to whats already been said. Even though we're really strangers to each other, I think we all share the same feelings about Sean's passing. It's amazing that one man, that most of us never had the priviledge of meeting, could instill such emotion in so many people. I miss him and think of him often.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:04 PM   #6
MTK
\m/

I remember waking up that morning and coming to this site to read the words of a thread that said "Sean Taylor has died", I probably read it 3-4 times and even then I just couldn't believe it.
Old 11-27-2008, 09:27 AM   #7
jonbruns
Camp Scrub

Great stuff guys. Powerful. I tend to express myself more visually.
I painted a tribute painting to Sean shortly after he died. Thought you might appreciate it.

http://www.jonathanbrunsfineart.com/SEAN_TAYLOR_21.jpg

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
jonbruns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 11:03 AM   #8
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
I remember waking up that morning and coming to this site to read the words of a thread that said "Sean Taylor has died", I probably read it 3-4 times and even then I just couldn't believe it.
Me to. I NEVER thought it would cost him his life. I thought he would be out the rest of the season, and next season, he would report to camp..............
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 12:24 PM   #9
53Fan
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbruns View Post
I painted a tribute painting to Sean shortly after he died. Thought you might appreciate it.

Great work!
Old 11-27-2008, 12:30 PM   #10
firstdown
Living Legend

Nice work on that painting and welcome to the site. My thoughts are with his daughter, father and family as this has got to be a very tough Thanksgiving for them.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 12:35 PM   #11
JWsleep
Propane and propane accessories

Great piece, Om. I was very moved when I read it last year, and it still rings true.

I too couldn't believe it. And in a way, I still do not. It's just something I cannot process, even today. What a horrible tragedy.

Rest in Peace, Sean. We all miss you.
Old 11-27-2008, 12:54 PM   #12
DarkKnight
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
Well written, Om. You summed up the gamut of thoughts and emotions felt that day very, very well. I am still so sad.

DarkKnight, you said it too. None of us actually knew him, yet losing him cut so deeply. I wept. Literally wept. I can say without shame that I truly LOVE the Redskins. I feel their losses and victories emotionally. I relate to the personalities of players and coaches. The Skins are a big part of my life. And losing Sean felt like losing a family member. I was devastated.

Every morning when I get dressed, I see my 21 jersey hanging in closet. It wasn't intentional, but it gives me some perspective every time I see it.

God bless you, Sean.
Thank You, I only said what came from my heart, I too love the Redskins with everything I got, when they loose, my week is sh*tty, but when I look on the field, and I see, Landry playing where he played, I am thinking, this kid is nice, and where lucky to have him, but Sean would have murdered that WR, or TE or RB, I bet Brandon Jacob's wouldn't have ran Sean Over.....anyway, this Sunday I will Celebrate at game time, when the game kick off, if everyone will join me, (at Kickoff Time) of holding up a can of your favorite beverage to the best got-damn, hard hitting, fearing Mo-fo to ever lace up......and saying "You the Man". I think thats away we all can celebrate together, to those who dont live in the city or can't make it to the game..........
Old 11-27-2008, 03:55 PM   #13
wilsowilso

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbruns View Post

That painting is so very excellent.
wilsowilso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 10:26 PM   #14
DarkKnight
Special Teams

This is a great thread it needs more love from the warpath nation.........share or comment?
Old 11-28-2008, 10:28 PM   #15
prinzeofmoval
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog1 View Post
Me to. I NEVER thought it would cost him his life. I thought he would be out the rest of the season, and next season, he would report to camp..............
What really screwed me up was that everything seemed okay when i went to sleep and i woke up to the breaking news of him passing..i Still use him on last years madden