Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 06-18-2013, 11:36 AM   #16
GridIron26
Playmaker

Re: #59

Even though Fletcher got burned by TEs, he still is a player who is also a coach. I actually wonder sometimes why Rams and Bills decided to let Fletcher go. I'm not sure if Fletcher will continue to play after this season, it probably depends on the outcome of Redskins season. If Fletcher decides to retire, I could see Fletcher taking on some kind assistant coach or perhaps LB coach.
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 06-18-2013, 11:42 AM   #17
CultBrennan59
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by GridIron26 View Post
Even though Fletcher got burned by TEs, he still is a player who is also a coach. I actually wonder sometimes why Rams and Bills decided to let Fletcher go. I'm not sure if Fletcher will continue to play after this season, it probably depends on the outcome of Redskins season. If Fletcher decides to retire, I could see Fletcher taking on some kind assistant coach or perhaps LB coach.
Yeah and hey, one of the TE's who burned Fletcher a lot last year (Jimmy Graham) didn't even make the top 100 players and Fletcher did! So clearly the players think Fletcher can still play.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:26 PM   #18
SirLK26
The Starter

The only reason Fletcher would stay after this season would be to mentor the younger LBs, a role he would do better as a coach. So, no, Redskins4ever, I don't think he'll be playing past this season.

He's one of my all time favorite Redskins, and I believe he'll be a first ballot HOFer. Maybe someone should start a thread remembering the playing career of London Fletcher.
SirLK26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:49 PM   #19
The Goat
Pro Bowl

Threads/comments about Fletcher drive me batty. Ignorance abounds.

- He played through a grueling injury last season. Compare that to Garcon (who's become the little darling of many a fan) and others who sit out, and then take your criticisms of Fletcher and shove them right up your asses. He missed a few tackles, but still is one of the best tacklers in all of pro football. He struggled to cover the best TEs in the league, just like every other defensive player who tries to cover Witten and Gonzales. I remember Fletcher defending some passes too, again fighting through a painful injury.

- When scheme and mid-game adjustments were reportedly turned over to Fletcher for the 2nd half of the season the defense improved markedly, for several reasons. One is that he took himself out of coverage more which is exactly what should happen. You don't take your premier tackler, who also has elite intuition for finding the ball on passes over the middle, and ask him to chase a TE to the outside of the field. That's just stupid scheming. Fletcher place is in the middle of the field on running and passing downs, period. Riley and the outside LBs need to cover the outside.

- Finally, it drives me up a ****ing wall when we pretend there's a replacement for Fletcher just waiting in the wings. Even if you could find a guy to PLAY at Fletcher's level right now, he won't have the mastery of the defense anytime soon. We don't have a 1st round pick in next year's draft either, so realistically the guy taking over for Fletcher next season will have to be our biggest and most expensive FA signing. Fortunately we'll have the cap room so it seems. But don't pretend like it's going to be easy.

He's arguably the most under appreciated player I've seen in my lifetime.

End rant.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:16 PM   #20
MTK
\m/

Good for Fletcher for being able to play through injury, with some injuries you can do that, some you can't. No doubt he's tough. Facts are facts though, he's shown some signs of slowing down but he's still very capable and he's definitely very valuable as the QB of the D. As a LB you're going to have to cover at some point regardless of whether you're inside or out, again just a fact.

I think the vast majority of fans love the guy. Not sure what the hostility is about.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:39 PM   #21
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

He didn't just miss a few tackles. He missed more than any other inside linebacker in the league last year

What did we draft guys like Riley and Robinson for if not to give them the opportunity to take Fletcher's role. It's crazy to think we have no one waiting in the wings

He's close to 40 years old. Injuries and close to 40. No matter what kind of stud Fletcher is, Father Time is undefeated

No one hates Fletcher
Old 06-18-2013, 02:43 PM   #22
RGIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by CultBrennan59 View Post
Yeah and hey, one of the TE's who burned Fletcher a lot last year (Jimmy Graham) didn't even make the top 100 players and Fletcher did! So clearly the players think Fletcher can still play.
Well, Jimmy Graham is no Niles Paul...
RGIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:47 PM   #23
RGIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
He didn't just miss a few tackles. He missed more than any other inside linebacker in the league last year

What did we draft guys like Riley and Robinson for if not to give them the opportunity to take Fletcher's role. It's crazy to think we have no one waiting in the wings

He's close to 40 years old. Injuries and close to 40. No matter what kind of stud Fletcher is, Father Time is undefeated

No one hates Fletcher
Some fans pick and choose who they praise and who they throw under the bus for example ( Henderson versus Hankerson.
RGIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:51 PM   #24
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

well just dont throw James Thrash under the bus...

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:19 PM   #25
SirLK26
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
well just dont throw James Thrash under the bus...
Heh. Heh-heh. Heh-heh-heh...Muuuuuuhahahahahahaha. Aint' that the truth...
Old 06-18-2013, 04:32 PM   #26
hagams
Impact Rookie

Love #59, and I want him on the payroll somehow. I would like to see him transition into a position coach, and continue to mentor the young players.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:08 PM   #27
The Goat
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post

No one hates Fletcher
He missed very few tackles over the 2nd half of the season, and his foot/ankle still wasn't 100%.

Again, just unbelievable how there's a double standard for new toys/players vs. old. Garcon misses half the season with foot pain and is the darling. Fletcher plays through and gets shit on for it. Dumb-founding.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:16 PM   #28
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Fletch will have another good season but I believe he retires after 2013
Old 06-18-2013, 05:32 PM   #29
SirLK26
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
He missed very few tackles over the 2nd half of the season, and his foot/ankle still wasn't 100%.

Again, just unbelievable how there's a double standard for new toys/players vs. old. Garcon misses half the season with foot pain and is the darling. Fletcher plays through and gets shit on for it. Dumb-founding.
No one's s***ing on him. I have nothing but praise for Fletcher. The consensus, though, is that while he has had a very good career, and while he played well last year, he's getting older and won't be able to keep it up much longer. Like Matty said, the vast majority of fans love him.

I guess I don't know where you're coming from.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:41 PM   #30
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirLK26 View Post
No one's s***ing on him. I have nothing but praise for Fletcher. The consensus, though, is that while he has had a very good career, and while he played well last year, he's getting older and won't be able to keep it up much longer. Like Matty said, the vast majority of fans love him.

I guess I don't know where you're coming from.
You are not alone
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote