Alex Smith’s Amazing Comeback(?)

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 05-01-2020, 03:08 PM   #61
Back2RFK
Special Teams

Re: Alex Smith’s Amazing Comeback(?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
The injury almost killed him. Would a doctor even sign off on him playing again?

Well the injury kind of killed him it was the infection. An infection can also come from a small cut.
Back2RFK is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 05-01-2020, 03:16 PM   #62
Meks
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back2RFK View Post
Well the injury kind of killed him it was the infection. An infection can also come from a small cut.
lets not get into symantecs here
R.I.P #21SEAN TAYLOR
Meks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 03:24 PM   #63
AnonEmouse
The Starter

What does antivirus software have to do with it?
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 03:55 PM   #64
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCskinfan82 View Post
Gangsta.
I can just imagine Ron Rivera: "hey CRIPPLE, shit or get off the pot"

Also this nonsense about Bruce Allen overpaying him is stupid AF. He got paid the going market rate for a starting NFL qb, and then almost died from a freak injury. Even if he got overpaid (which he didn't) he's still earned that money.
Old 05-01-2020, 04:21 PM   #65
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
I can just imagine Ron Rivera: "hey CRIPPLE, shit or get off the pot"

Also this nonsense about Bruce Allen overpaying him is stupid AF. He got paid the going market rate for a starting NFL qb, and then almost died from a freak injury. Even if he got overpaid (which he didn't) he's still earned that money.
I don't get people complaining about this as well, it's outright ridiculous in my opinion.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 04:51 PM   #66
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
I don't get people complaining about this as well, it's outright ridiculous in my opinion.
I think it stems from the fact that after it was known that Alex was going to be out indefinitely, possibly permanently, that he didn't make any attempt to re-negotiate into a more team friendly deal for what was left his player contract. That led to all the ridiculous rumors and some saying that the skins were thinking of doing a Bobby Bonilla-esque contract with Alex.

I think he had no incentive to do so, and i'm not even sure if he was ever asked by the team to consider such a thing. Alex was/is not the first and won't be the last to get paid major money while being sidelined with a career-threatening injury.
Old 05-01-2020, 04:57 PM   #67
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake84 View Post
I think it stems from the fact that after it was known that Alex was going to be out indefinitely, possibly permanently, that he didn't make any attempt to re-negotiate into a more team friendly deal for what was left his player contract. That led to all the ridiculous rumors and some saying that the skins were thinking of doing a Bobby Bonilla-esque contract with Alex.

I think he had no incentive to do so, and i'm not even sure if he was ever asked by the team to consider such a thing. Alex was/is not the first and won't be the last to get paid major money while being sidelined with a career-threatening injury.
A lot of people have been complaining about Alex's contract from the beginning, and use his injury as "validating" their point.

Honestly, re-negotiating a contract like this, is basically kicking the can down the road. I don't know if it would have been smart of the team to do so.

Also, it is my understanding that Alex has been with the team, when he didn't need to. He has also been tutoring Dwayne from what I've heard. I'm not saying that this validates his cap number, but he has been a team player during his rehab, and done things that he didn't need IMO.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 05:15 PM   #68
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake84 View Post

That would've been a classic Dan all-timer right there.

"Hey, buddy, I know you suffered a compound fracture, and you had to deal with flesh eating bacteria, almost dying, you're in the midst of 17 surgeries over 9 months and they gave you a choice between amputation or a super-risky muscle transfer to save your leg. Hell, at one point your tibia was completely exposed and you were missing everything from your knee to your ankle.

But you know what would be suuuuper helpful? How about renegotiating your contract so we can get some cap relief? We really appreciate you being a team player in the most trying time of your life. Thanks bud. Owe you one."
Old 05-01-2020, 05:45 PM   #69
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
That would've been a classic Dan all-timer right there.

"Hey, buddy, I know you suffered a compound fracture, and you had to deal with flesh eating bacteria, almost dying, you're in the midst of 17 surgeries over 9 months and they gave you a choice between amputation or a super-risky muscle transfer to save your leg. Hell, at one point your tibia was completely exposed and you were missing everything from your knee to your ankle.

But you know what would be suuuuper helpful? How about renegotiating your contract so we can get some cap relief? We really appreciate you being a team player in the most trying time of your life. Thanks bud. Owe you one."

Just ridiculous man, Alex didn’t owe the team anything after the injury

Thankfully Snyder has done right by him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-01-2020, 07:06 PM   #70
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Just ridiculous man, Alex didn’t owe the team anything after the injury

Thankfully Snyder has done right by him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Snyder has done right by most players when they had personal or professional crises.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 08:33 PM   #71
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

That was a great show. Mad respect

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 05-01-2020, 08:41 PM   #72
Pervis_Griffith
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
That was a great show. Mad respect

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Amen.

I know he wants to play again, but jeez .... there's no shame in retiring Alex. Seriously bro. Be freakin careful.

Does anyone else think he has a future in coaching?
Pervis_Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 09:27 PM   #73
Irrefutable
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pervis_Griffith View Post
Amen.

I know he wants to play again, but jeez .... there's no shame in retiring Alex. Seriously bro. Be freakin careful.

Does anyone else think he has a future in coaching?
I doubt he wants to coach. He is probably financially set and does not want the insecurity of a coach....moving around with a young family.
Irrefutable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 11:49 PM   #74
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Just watched the show, I can’t imagine what Alex and family went through. There is no way he’s playing again, nor will his wife will ever let him play again. After they cut all the infected muscle, his leg was so fucked up and deformed, the movement on his leg so limited. Dan has done what any moral, conscious man should do, pay him every penny and don’t even question it. Bravo Alex, family and Danny. Please retire next year and find him a coaching job.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 01:37 AM   #75
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

I was pumped when we got Smith. He was a winner, even we were winning with him, and everything since his injury proves he's a winner 10 fold.

I hope he stays with the franchise is some capacity for a long time.

Wanna talk about building a culture!!! Alex offers everything you want from someone you work with.

There is just no way he should play again though. Way easier for me to say, because it's not my life and career, but it just seems like a bad idea imo.

And I don't give a fuck about how much he's getting paid still, did you see his fucking leg?? This was out of everyone's control. This is an injury you see every 20 years or so. You can't plan for it and you sure as hell shouldn't hold it against the player.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote