Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

"Donovan McNabb: Mediocre at Best" Article

Locker Room Main Forum

Closed Thread

Old 12-15-2005, 08:07 AM   #31
irish
Playmaker

Re: "Donovan McNabb: Mediocre at Best" Article

The mcnabb & vick style of QB is not the style of QB (run & athletic) that wins super bowls. I'd mauch rather have Tom Brady, P. Manning style (pro style pocket QB). That way of playing the position works best in the pro game.

Is Mcnabb average, I think he's better than that but not the great player the media makes him out to be.

Advertisements
Old 12-15-2005, 08:33 AM   #32
MTK
\m/

I'd love to suffer through having a mediocre talent like McNabb.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:40 AM   #33
mheisig
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by giacomo2
the last time i checked mcscabb was not playing defense. that is the big reason they won all those games. btw, if he was soooo goood, then why did philly sell there soul to get terrible owens? if mcscabb couldn't run around, he'd be using his degree from syracuse and delivering pizzas.
Man I don't know what games you were watching, but Philly's defense was always average - they were successfull because of a high-scoring, high-powered offense. McNabb threw for one 300+ yard game after another.

To answer your question as to why the Eagles drafted Owens if McNabb was so good, has it occured to you that, generally speaking, it's nice for a QB to have a target to throw to? Or do you think that good QBs just throw to large empty spaces downfield and they magically turn into touchdowns?

Where would Steve Young and Joe Montana have been without Jerry Rice? Where would Peyton Manning be without Marvin Harrison? Look what happened to Daunte Culpepper after Randy Moss left. Hell, look at Brunell before Santana Moss.

I sort of can't believe I just typed all this in response to such an asinine post.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:47 AM   #34
mheisig
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish
The mcnabb & vick style of QB is not the style of QB (run & athletic) that wins super bowls. I'd mauch rather have Tom Brady, P. Manning style (pro style pocket QB). That way of playing the position works best in the pro game.

Is Mcnabb average, I think he's better than that but not the great player the media makes him out to be.
Yeah, I guess you're right - a guy who last year who completed 64% of his passes for 3800+ yards, 31 TDs, only 8 INTs for a QB rating of 104.7 is definitely spending way too much time running around. It's a shame he doesn't just stay still and pass more.

I'm not arguing that McNabb is the greatest QB ever - far from it. I do think he's a Top 5 QB and more than capable of winning a championship.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:55 AM   #35
mheisig
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB1
For whatever reason, some people love to demean this guy's talents. He's obviously a big part of why the Eagles have been so successful over the years. I think the media loves to attack someone who has class.
I'm with ya on that one. It baffles me that a guy who is professional, keeps his mouth shut and does his job (and does it better than most, I might add) and has the patience and maturity to not club TO to death on the sidline, manages to attract so much animosity.

There's plenty of genuinely overrated players in the league - why the hell does everyone focus in on McNabb, who has more legitimacy and stats to back it up than anyone?
Old 12-15-2005, 09:20 AM   #36
irish
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mheisig
Yeah, I guess you're right - a guy who last year who completed 64% of his passes for 3800+ yards, 31 TDs, only 8 INTs for a QB rating of 104.7 is definitely spending way too much time running around. It's a shame he doesn't just stay still and pass more.

I'm not arguing that McNabb is the greatest QB ever - far from it. I do think he's a Top 5 QB and more than capable of winning a championship.

Sure he's capable of winning a championship but I'll believe that QBing style can win one when it happens.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:28 AM   #37
MTK
\m/

McNabb and Vick aren't even in the same class of QB anymore.

McNabb has transformed himself into a pocket passer while Vick is still working on that part of his game. McNabb no longer relies on scrambling like he did earlier in his career. The numbers back that up.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:34 AM   #38
Southpaw
The Starter

Quote:
Sure he's capable of winning a championship but I'll believe that QBing style can win one when it happens.
What exactly is "that QBing style"? If I had to catogorize McNabb, I'd say he plays a much better version of Brunells playing style. He also plays a lot like Carson Palmer, but McNabb can run when he needs to. McNabb plays nothing like Vick anymore, so I don't see the correlation.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:47 AM   #39
irish
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw
What exactly is "that QBing style"? If I had to catogorize McNabb, I'd say he plays a much better version of Brunells playing style. He also plays a lot like Carson Palmer, but McNabb can run when he needs to. McNabb plays nothing like Vick anymore, so I don't see the correlation.
To me it means the qb runs before its time to run and is a decent but not great passer. Much like what you see in most colleges.

I agree that McNabb is much more of a passer now than he used to be but he's not in the same passing category as Brady or P. Manning. McNabb is light years beyond Vick (who I believe is the most over-rated player in the NFL).
Old 12-15-2005, 10:08 AM   #40
ST21
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by railcon56@comcast.net
Look this is a good site with good people ..why start a racial flame war.. telling peoople to watch out?????? if u notice most people on here supported mc nabb...so please if this turns ugly please shut this thread down..
Not telling people to watch out, Being Funny watch out America, here come Black QB's, its sarcasim.......Plus it shouldn't bother you....
Old 12-15-2005, 10:10 AM   #41
ST21
Impact Rookie

Quote:
What style is that, Vick, Culpepper, Mc Nabb.... you mean that style?
Old 12-15-2005, 10:12 AM   #42
mheisig
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wewhite3
Not telling people to watch out, Being Funny watch out America, here come Black QB's, its sarcasim.......Plus it shouldn't bother you....
"wewhite"'s name starts to take on a whole new meaning...
Old 12-15-2005, 10:14 AM   #43
ST21
Impact Rookie

Quote:
To me it means the qb runs before its time to run and is a decent but not great passer. Much like what you see in most colleges.

I agree that McNabb is much more of a passer now than he used to be but he's not in the same passing category as Brady or P. Manning. McNabb is light years beyond Vick (who I believe is the most over-rated player in the NFL).
I'M SURE YOU DO
Old 12-15-2005, 10:16 AM   #44
12thMan
MVP

This has to be the most ridiculous thing I haven't read in a long time.

This thread is actually 5 pages long?
Old 12-15-2005, 10:38 AM   #45
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by wewhite3
What style is that, Vick, Culpepper, Mc Nabb.... you mean that style?
Idiot, don't make this a racial thing. He's simply stating a fact, no team has ever won the super bowl with a running QB.

You've got 3 kinds of QBs in the NFL:

Pocket Passers - stand in the pocket, deliver the ball, or throw it away or take a sack. Examples: Manning, Bledsoe, Marino, Doug Williams.

Scramblers - prefer to make throws from the pocket, but will scramble out when under pressure and make throws on the run. Examples: Steve Young, John Elway, Joe Montana, Jake Plummer.

Runners - guys that aren't good enough or confident enough at throwing the ball, so when pressured they look to run rather than scramble away to find an open receiver. Examples: Vick, Randall Cunningham.

You can't be a winning QB without looking to throw whenever possible.
Closed Thread