Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Post draft breakdown

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: What is your way too early draft grade for the '21 WFT class?
A 14 23.33%
B 32 53.33%
C 8 13.33%
D 5 8.33%
F 1 1.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-03-2021, 12:33 PM   #16
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Post draft breakdown

We drafted high character athletes. So now alot is on the staff to coach them up. High character= good student , and you cannot teach speed.
Can the safety out of Minnesota really be worse than Apke? Can the tight end be worse than Sprinkle? We upgraded at several spots on our roster imo. I absolutely loved this class, and I think time will show good reason too.
punch it in is online now   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 05-03-2021, 01:01 PM   #17
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Re: Post draft breakdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post
Cosmi has really short arms .. 33" putting him in the lowest 12 percent for NFL tackles. Wingspan in the 22 percentile.

Arm length isnt the end all for tackles but its pretty important

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/samuel-cosmi
I like that tool, I don't like what it says about St-Juste:
https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/benjamin-st-juste

10 Yard Split 1.57s* 47th percentile
20 Yard Split 2.65s* 26th
40 Yard Dash 4.55s* 28th
Vertical Jump 34½"* 30th
Broad Jump 119"* 29th

Seems he missed the athletic portion of the FO draft evaluations.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 01:34 PM   #18
PorkSkins
Playmaker

Not that it truly means anything until they suit up, but it's cool to see, nonetheless.

CBS Sports' Pete Prisco:

Washington Football Team: B+

Best pick: Third-round receiver Dyami Brown will prove to be a major steal. He has great speed, but he's more than just a one-trick pony.

Worst pick: I didn't love the choice of Boise State tight end John Bates in the fourth round. He's athletic, but it's more of a projection based on his production and might have been a round too high.

The skinny: Their first four picks were all outstanding. First-round linebacker Jamin Davis will be a star. They followed that with a lot of good players at positions of need, highlighted by Brown.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/p...SPM-16-10abi8e

Another piece from CBS Sports via Cody Benjamin: 2021 Draft Winners and Losers. Benjamin has our WFT in the "winners" circle:

Washington Football Team

Most notable picks:

LB Jamin Davis (1)
OT Samuel Cosmi (2)
WR Dyami Brown (3)

Man, Ron Rivera is really assembling a tough squad, isn't he? Davis should step in right away as a leader on defense, Cosmi offers long-term support where Trent Williams once stood, and Brown gives them yet another chess piece on offense. These moves help them in 2021, with Ryan Fitzpatrick at the helm, but also bode well for the distant future.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2...aints-slip-up/
PorkSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 01:35 PM   #19
EdmundDorf
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
We drafted high character athletes. So now alot is on the staff to coach them up. High character= good student , and you cannot teach speed.
Can the safety out of Minnesota really be worse than Apke? Can the tight end be worse than Sprinkle? We upgraded at several spots on our roster imo. I absolutely loved this class, and I think time will show good reason too.
Ironically the comparison I saw, just the one admittedly, for our new TE is .......... Jeremy Sprinkle.
EdmundDorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 01:46 PM   #20
MTK
\m/

Who knows how these picks will look 2-3 years from now, but what I like right now is we got high character guys, guys with position versatility, and you have to like the overall speed/athleticism of most in the group. I think our first 3 picks will contribute significantly right away.
Old 05-03-2021, 02:06 PM   #21
sevier2
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
Great point.

I like the class as well and think the roster talent is actually ahead of schedule, at least compared to what I expected from Ron in years 1-3. Of course, that’s assuming we don’t have an early pick bust.

It usually takes a couple seasons for a new coach to get “his guys” and I think we’re headed in the right direction.
Old 05-03-2021, 02:25 PM   #22
vallin21
The Starter

I gave it an A. For one, no one knows how these picks will turn out until year two or three.

Loved every pick except the St Juste pick, and that’s ONLY because I thought there were better CB’s available.

Brown was my favorite pick, and immediately upgraded our WR group.

We needed a consistent LS, it’s an important position that can directly impact a game. Props to the FO replacing Sundberg.

The fact that Synder is not meddling in the draft room deserves an A alone. This is Rivera’s team and he has full control.
vallin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 02:41 PM   #23
EdmundDorf
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallin21 View Post
I gave it an A. For one, no one knows how these picks will turn out until year two or three.

Loved every pick except the St Juste pick, and that’s ONLY because I thought there were better CB’s available.

Brown was my favorite pick, and immediately upgraded our WR group.

We needed a consistent LS, it’s an important position that can directly impact a game. Props to the FO replacing Sundberg.

The fact that Synder is not meddling in the draft room deserves an A alone. This is Rivera’s team and he has full control.
That deserves coach of the year ..... something neither Shannahan, Schottenheimer or Gibbs could achieve
EdmundDorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 03:12 PM   #24
Pervis_Griffith
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
My biggest head scratcher is the CB from Minnesota, I thought there were better options.

I’ve heard scouting reports say he could play single high safety. Versatility is the big thing.

After we took the WR from UNC, this pick was much less of an issue from value standpoint as that was a steal.

Another reach to me was the TE from Boise state, but trusting the coaching staff as Logan Thomas exceeded everyone’s expectations not only here but across the league.

Cosmi, Davis, Brown, Toney were great picks. I think adding RB Patterson was big time, that was icing on the cake cause I think he will make the team if he can prove he can catch out the backfield.

Ditto your comments on St. Juste. I suppose his versatility and length made him attractive to draft. If memory serves, he was a senior bowl participant too, so maybe extra eyes on him made him a get for the staff.

I like the TE pick. The blocking part of TE is always the hardest to develop with rookies. The fact that he has that part down is a plus, when combined with what we have in Thomas ... and the potential in Reyes.

I think one of Bradley-King or Toney will make the team ... with the other sticking on the practice squad. But the picks are worth it late.

I gave the draft a B.

My biggest worry is in our first round pick. He SHOULD be fantastic. He has the right attitude, and work ethic, and is very athletic. He showed flashes of brilliance in his one year of starting. For this pick to be justified, he needs to provide consistent impact from day 1.

If he does ... I change the grade to an A.
Pervis_Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 03:56 PM   #25
NYCskinfan82
Playmaker

I LOVED our draft, time will tell but JMO they bought in talent and competition.
NYCskinfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 05:58 PM   #26
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

I’m so glad we didn’t get a QB…and I’m so glad people freakin over a LS

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 06:08 PM   #27
Meks
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
I’m so glad we didn’t get a QB…and I’m so glad people freakin over a LS
Lmao same
R.I.P #21SEAN TAYLOR
Meks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 06:10 PM   #28
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meks View Post
Lmao same
Like you know you had a great draft when you have to pick on the 6th round long snapper with the greatest LS name of all time

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 06:25 PM   #29
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmundDorf View Post
Ironically the comparison I saw, just the one admittedly, for our new TE is .......... Jeremy Sprinkle.

LOL. Well that would not make him worse i suppose.
punch it in is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 07:33 PM   #30
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post
Insert the "you cant grade a draft until 3 years later" mantra

We targeted physical abilities over production it seems. Davis, Cosmi, St Juste, Brown, Forrest all seem to be at the top end of athleticism. We are banking on them being able to be coached up and continue to improve.

Im somewhat left with the impression we just drafted our board vs reacting to how the draft played out. Seems like we drafted guys who RR interviewed with personally.

Especially that 4R on a blocking TE that by all looks was a pretty big reach. But he interviewed with RR personally. They have a good conversation ... suddenly we are picking him in the 4th when he was projected to be a 6th or UDFA.

I feel like the personal interviews steered our decisions vs being reactive to the board and who is dropping etc. I dont think we went BPA .. or our board favors physical stats vs film/playing stats
You may be right on both points (favoring physical potential vs college production, and favoring guys they knew and/or had talked to)... and I'm perfectly fine with it !

I actually like the fact that RR and JDR made sure they were drafting good fits for this team, both as players and characters !
I don't think it ended up being real reaches, at least early on (and does anybody on earth really knows if a 5th/6th/7th round was a reach ?).

We got some BPA/close to BPA players that filled key needs early on, we added some depth where we needed it later on... Until it doesn't pan out, I don't see any reason to complain.