Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Debating with the enemy

The Common Ground thread

Debating with the enemy

Old 11-04-2020, 08:37 AM   #1
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

The Common Ground thread

I'm taking the inspiration for this from Cred's post. I do believe that 70% of normal Americans have common ground that we can agree over, but for whatever reason our voices get drowned out by the vocal minority of extremists.

Things like term limits - I'm open to the idea not only for Congress (especially for Congress) but for SCOTUS as well, somewhere in the length of 25-30 years.

Even though I am obviously a lib, I support gun rights too. I just believe something needs to be done to make it harder for kids under 21 to buy semi-auto rifles with large capacity mags, and for people who are deemed a violent threat by the court (let's say domestic abusers for instance) to not be able to purchase guns while on probation.

Those are just a couple to start, but I am open to more ideas. There has to be more common ground that we can agree on otherwise we risk the United States of America turning into the divided states of America. Also if this thread is going to work I'd like to also say we should approach it from the idea of "what is a position of the opposite party that I agree or don't oppose."

Advertisements
Old 11-04-2020, 08:38 AM   #2
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Re: The Common Ground thread

I've wanted term limits and a "Flat tax" for years..............
Old 11-04-2020, 12:40 PM   #3
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

I agree with legalizing pot, guaranteeing no exclusion for pre existing conditions, and a higher tax on the super rich, which I would define as 6 times yearly average livable wage. Why 6x, that means every year you earn enough money to live an average life for 6 years, which is enough to avoid economic downturns if you are wise with your money, over that should be taxed at a rate needed to sustain the government structure that has given you the ability to "live your dream"

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 12:48 PM   #4
MTK
\m/

NJ legalized, good news for NY as they will likely follow suit shortly.

I thought this was kinda crazy, I applaud it but it still surprised me

Oregon Decriminalizes Small Amounts of Heroin and Cocaine
Old 11-04-2020, 12:49 PM   #5
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Oregon is a shithole period. Let their children die, who cares

This is said as someone who has worked with heroin addicts in the past who past diseases like hiv, who purpose starved their children for fixes.

It’s disgraceful period

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 12:59 PM   #6
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

To me agreeing isn't even necessarily the issue. Or biggest issue(s) at least.

What are you willing to compromise on and/or give up? This is where everything has gone to shit. No compromises in DC. Just incessant name calling.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 01:12 PM   #7
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
To me agreeing isn't even necessarily the issue. Or biggest issue(s) at least.

What are you willing to compromise on and/or give up? This is where everything has gone to shit. No compromises in DC. Just incessant name calling.
You can approach drug issues with a health based problem strategy...that’s fine. But you are taking a terrible approach to decriminalize. Use the drug courts as avoidance.

When these shitholes gets funding cut bc one issue or the other, that’s really when u see the issues. Falls thru the cracks of society. Oregon has blood on hands also here come all the drug addicts from California

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 01:20 PM   #8
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
You can approach drug issues with a health based problem strategy...that’s fine. But you are taking a terrible approach to decriminalize. Use the drug courts as avoidance.

When these shitholes gets funding cut bc one issue or the other, that’s really when u see the issues. Falls thru the cracks of society. Oregon has blood on hands also here come all the drug addicts from California
I gotta dig up the article again but I could swear the article I read said that they will issue fines for certain amounts, and if they do get arrested they can get treatment instead of being convicted. So I'm not gonna judge them off the headline alone.
Old 11-04-2020, 02:04 PM   #9
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Since this is the common ground thread, maybe we can try an exercise in compromise. around drugs. So, rather than focusing on the talking points and extreme stances, what core points do we find that common ground on?

Common ground statements - can you compromise on these points, without contradicting your core values:
Decriminalizing recreational pot -
puts the onus on the individual
could lead to acceptance of harder drugs
could reduce the damage done to minority groups by overly harsh sentences
could still have requirements for treatment, but not criminal records
could have requirements for treatment, and expunge criminal records after short sober period
does not mean all drugs should be legal,
does not mean all drugs should be illegal.

Maybe there are other core value statements that have to be worked in to a final solution. What would your redlines be around drug use decriminalization?

Last edited by CRedskinsRule; 11-04-2020 at 02:49 PM.
Old 11-04-2020, 02:09 PM   #10
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Legalize all drugs. Make crimes committed while high on drugs very very stiff, with required treatment prior to going to prison (if convicted).
Old 11-04-2020, 02:52 PM   #11
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
Legalize all drugs. Make crimes committed while high on drugs very very stiff, with required treatment prior to going to prison (if convicted).
Even that makes a lot of sense, i can't see a legalize all drugs platform gaining traction in the common ground. To easy to be decried by one side of the argument.

Old 11-04-2020, 03:02 PM   #12
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
Even that makes a lot of sense, i can't see a legalize all drugs platform gaining traction in the common ground. To easy to be decried by one side of the argument.

Yeah. Probably not. And I haven't always felt that way myself, so I can understand the arguments against it. But I believe if people want to do drugs like heroin they're going to do it regardless.

Military intervention and drug laws are where I have changed the most since my younger days.
Old 11-04-2020, 03:29 PM   #13
MTK
\m/

Finding approaches to drugs that doesn't involve locking people up is just smart. The war on drugs has been a colossal failure. No way to argue that. Need more money and resources directed towards treatment and recovery, and mental health.
Old 11-04-2020, 03:51 PM   #14
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Oregon is a shithole period. Let their children die, who cares

This is said as someone who has worked with heroin addicts in the past who past diseases like hiv, who purpose starved their children for fixes.

It’s disgraceful period
Lost my dad to Heroin last yr, he sold it for years and did time for it... Dope took him away from my brother and I leaving my single mom (who worked as a elementary school cafeteria worker) to raise us alone.. I saw it all at a very young age, fuck that heroin shit and I have no sympathy for anyone who uses it
Old 11-04-2020, 06:04 PM   #15
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
Since this is the common ground thread, maybe we can try an exercise in compromise. around drugs. So, rather than focusing on the talking points and extreme stances, what core points do we find that common ground on?

Common ground statements - can you compromise on these points, without contradicting your core values:
Decriminalizing recreational pot -
puts the onus on the individual
could lead to acceptance of harder drugs
could reduce the damage done to minority groups by overly harsh sentences
could still have requirements for treatment, but not criminal records
could have requirements for treatment, and expunge criminal records after short sober period
does not mean all drugs should be legal,
does not mean all drugs should be illegal.

Maybe there are other core value statements that have to be worked in to a final solution. What would your redlines be around drug use decriminalization?
I have a hard time seeing a con. I am not trying to get in an argument of police defunding. There are obviously idiots like AOC that literally mean defund the police but most politicians I have asked about this issue it is doing things such as decriminalizing pot so the police can actually focus on more important community issues. That could be a compromise for both parties. How would you and SD being more libertarian handle legalizing pot knowing the government would regulate it to prevent it from being the low standard "imports" we see today? To me regulation makes products be it consumer, energy, food cleaner.
BaltimoreSkins is offline   Reply With Quote