Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Draft Prospects "Watch" List and Draft Board

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 03-24-2016, 09:02 AM   #16
That Guy
Living Legend

Re: Draft Prospects "Watch" List and Draft Board

yeah, those make a good case for doctson, shepard, treadwell, and higgins... possibly miller too.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-24-2016, 09:34 AM   #17
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30gut View Post
Kinda kills the WR from Pittsburg.

Will Fuller and Michael Thomas (OSU) look to be 2nd tier types too.

30gut rank your top 10 WR for the draft please

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 09:26 PM   #18
30gut
Playmaker

Below is the PFF draft profile for Boston College’s Steven Daniels, which incorporates PFF’s college grades and scouting intel from our team of analysts. To see all of PFF’s 2016 scouting reports,*click here.

Position fit:

Two-down, run-stopping inside or middle linebacker

Stats to know:

Top grade in the nation against the run (+29.2) in 2015 after ranking ninth in 2014 (+18.0).

What he does best:

• Pure thumper; destroys blocks working downhill in the running game.

• Excellent play recognition in the run game—reads pulling guards instantly and gets to the right spot.

• Didn’t test well athletically, but short area quickness on the football field looks good.

• Rarely fooled by counter-action. Even when teams try to disguise with motion and fakes, Daniels still beats blockers to the spot against counter.

• Makes up for his lack of speed by taking good angles to the ball when running sideline to sideline.

• Will never be confused with a coverage linebacker, but made a few strong plays while isolated in the flat.

• Reads and attacks the screen game well.

• Can bull-rush as a pass-rusher and also uses his hands well to shed blocks. Had some success against college offensive tackles when rushing the passer.

Biggest concern:

• Got caught on blocks on cutbacks against inside zone. If he has to “slow-play,” can get engulfed by blocks.

• Lacks the athleticism to be trusted in man-to-man coverage against running backs and tight ends.

• Many of his strengths looked like weaknesses against Syracuse. Just a bad game?

Player comparison:

Brandon Spikes.*Spikes was a throwback to old-school football, a two-down “thumper” that would destroy any blockers in his path while setting up his teammates to clean up with tackles. Spikes was also a limited athlete and rarely on the field in passing situations, and Daniels looks like a similar player from both a style and production standpoint.

Bottom line:

Daniels is simply playing in the wrong era, as his tough, downhill style would have been coveted in the old run-heavy days of the NFL, but his style of linebacker is becoming less valuable in the spread-offense era. Still, there’s value in a strong interior presence against the run, and Daniels would fit in well with any team looking to improve their early-down run defense.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 09:32 PM   #19
30gut
Playmaker

Below is the PFF draft profile for West Virginia’s Nick Kwiatkoski, which incorporates PFF’s college grades and scouting intel from our team of analysts. To see all of PFF’s 2016 scouting reports,*click here.

Position fit:

Best fit is inside linebacker in a 3-4 scheme or strong linebacker in certain 4-3 schemes.

Stats to know:

Finished fourth in the nation amongst linebackers against the run (+21.7 run defense grade) and sixth in coverage (+9.0 coverage grade).

What he does best:

• Strong “flipper” when attacking blocks in the run game. Packs a punch working downhill against blockers.

• Uses same style to push the pocket as a blitzer.

• Had success when playing head-up on tight ends in the run game, set a strong edge.

• Makes lead blockers play when taking them on.

• Does a nice job of sifting through the trash to find the ball carrier when left unblocked.

• Graded well on both the front and back side of running plays.

Biggest concern:

• While he’s good at attacking blockers, he struggles to shed if he doesn’t win on initial contact.

• Will lose sight of the ball at times in the run game.

• Can get caught attacking the run with the wrong shoulder.

• Had a few bad missed tackles in space.

• Can be slow to react in coverage, gets sucked in by play-action.

• Lacks depth in zones at times and lacks the recovery speed to make up for it.

• Isn’t great in man-coverage against tight ends*

Bottom line:

There’s nothing exceptional about Kwiatkoski’s game, but he’s productive in all phases. He can be a disruptor in the run game while making the routine plays in coverage. He may be limited to early downs, and he could be a useful “thumper” in a 3-4 scheme, taking on blocks and setting up his teammates to make plays

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Old 03-25-2016, 05:57 PM   #20
30gut
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Kinda kills the WR from Pittsburg.

Will Fuller and Michael Thomas (OSU) look to be 2nd tier types too.

30gut rank your top 10 WR for the draft please
Haven't gone all the way to 10 on WRs yet.

Here are my top 5s tho:

Quote:
http://www.thewarpath.net/nfl-draft-...ml#post1141043

Here's my position rankings:

QB-Paxton Lynch, Jared Goff, Conor Cook, Carson Wentz, Brandon Allen

WR-Josh Doctsun, Corey Coleman, Sterling Shephard, Tyler Boyd, Laquan Treadwell

CB-Jalen Ramsey, Mackenzie Alexander, Vernon Hargreaves, Willism Jackson, Kendall Fuller ? (40), Eli Apple

S-Jalen Ramsey, KJ Dillon, Karl Joseph (40 ?), TJ Green, Sean Davis, Darian Thompson (40 ?)

Edge-Emmanuel Ogbah, Shaq Lawson, Joey Bosa, Leonard Floyd, Shilique Calhoun

LB-Miles Jack, Darron Lee, Reggie Ragland, Kamalei Correa, Josh Perry, Joe Schobert, BJ Goodson
If you have top 5s, would be interested to see them.
Old 03-29-2016, 12:27 PM   #21
30gut
Playmaker

Quote:
Another bit of interesting WR evaluation:

FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | Playmaker Score 2016
Old 04-03-2016, 04:39 PM   #22
30gut
Playmaker

Boykin shows off arm, Doctson is outstanding at TCU's pro day - NFL.com

Quarterback Trevone Boykin -- 6-foot-0 1/8, 213 pounds -- completed 35 of 38 passes at the pro day. He also ran eight pass routes as a receiver and looked pretty good doing that, too. Boykin has a strong arm, but a negative to that is he doesn't quite know how to take something off the ball.
Old 04-12-2016, 11:48 AM   #23
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Scot McCloughan Q&A: The Philosophy and Tools of a Successful NFL GM | Bleacher Report

good McC interview here by bleacher report and Jason Cole.

My favorite part:

B/R: But you can’t miss in the first round.

SM: You can’t, and you shouldn’t if you do enough work. Everybody said Brandon Scherff was taken too high. He’s a guard now, and he’s the fifth pick in the draft. I said, "Are you kidding me?" He played every snap in the season but one. The only reason he missed one is because his shoe fell off, and to this day, he yells at me about it. That’s the only snap he missed all year. He would have played the whole season, every snap. He’s not the most flashy guy, he’s not the prettiest guy, but he’s a football player, and that’s what I’m talking about with a red. Now, he might be a blue in two years, three years. Who knows? But right now, he’s a red. He’s a core guy, and, all of sudden, guys walk in next year and see him, they’ll be like, "OK, that’s how we act. That’s how we lift weights. That’s how we condition. That’s how we go to meetings. That’s how we practice." Guys walk in, and they’re scared of him. Trent Williams is scared of him, and he’s a Pro Bowler. Trent said, "I don’t want to mess with that guy." And [Scherff] is a rookie, but that’s what starts building a culture. He’s a red. You wait and see who we take at 21 in the draft this year. He’s a red.

B/R: You already know who it’s going to be.

SM: (smiling) Yeah, I think. Hopefully he’s not gone. But I’m adding the same kind of guy. Toughness, smarts, competitiveness, team. The whole thing.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 08:29 PM   #24
Bangee7
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Scot McCloughan Q&A: The Philosophy and Tools of a Successful NFL GM | Bleacher Report

good McC interview here by bleacher report and Jason Cole.

My favorite part:

B/R: But you can’t miss in the first round.

SM: You can’t, and you shouldn’t if you do enough work. Everybody said Brandon Scherff was taken too high. He’s a guard now, and he’s the fifth pick in the draft. I said, "Are you kidding me?" He played every snap in the season but one. The only reason he missed one is because his shoe fell off, and to this day, he yells at me about it. That’s the only snap he missed all year. He would have played the whole season, every snap. He’s not the most flashy guy, he’s not the prettiest guy, but he’s a football player, and that’s what I’m talking about with a red. Now, he might be a blue in two years, three years. Who knows? But right now, he’s a red. He’s a core guy, and, all of sudden, guys walk in next year and see him, they’ll be like, "OK, that’s how we act. That’s how we lift weights. That’s how we condition. That’s how we go to meetings. That’s how we practice." Guys walk in, and they’re scared of him. Trent Williams is scared of him, and he’s a Pro Bowler. Trent said, "I don’t want to mess with that guy." And [Scherff] is a rookie, but that’s what starts building a culture. He’s a red. You wait and see who we take at 21 in the draft this year. He’s a red.

B/R: You already know who it’s going to be.

SM: (smiling) Yeah, I think. Hopefully he’s not gone. But I’m adding the same kind of guy. Toughness, smarts, competitiveness, team. The whole thing.
great article. I like the fact that he's locked on to a target.
Bangee7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 08:41 PM   #25
Ohioskins
Special Teams

So does anyone have a guess as to who this "tough, smart, competitive" guy is?
Ohioskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 10:09 PM   #26
30gut
Playmaker

Taylor Decker
Reggie Ragland
Corey Coleman
Mackenzie Alexander
Andrew Billings
Jarran Reed
Emmanuel Ogbah