Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

With the 17 pick, the Washington Redskins select...

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 04-25-2017, 02:19 PM   #1
Schneed10
A Dude

Re: With the 17 pick, the Washington Redskins select...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerSkin View Post
Funny as hell!!!! Still, I would like to get that
Northwestern wideout. He was very good. If
Josh stays healthy and we got him, we would be the deepest we corp in the entire league.
As long as we don't have the thinnest front 7, I'm good with that.

While BPA is my overarching philosophy, I wouldn't put a high pick into a position that's already extremely deep. I'm not taking an offensive tackle with my 1st rounder, for example, even if an OT is BPA at the time.
Old 04-25-2017, 02:27 PM   #2
53Fan
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
As long as we don't have the thinnest front 7, I'm good with that.

While BPA is my overarching philosophy, I wouldn't put a high pick into a position that's already extremely deep. I'm not taking an offensive tackle with my 1st rounder, for example, even if an OT is BPA at the time.
Completely agree. Then you try to trade down if you can. We knew Garcon and Jackson wouldn't be back. Whoever you pick can get hurt. If he's healthy this year I think he's gonna shine and don't regret the pick at all. I think Pryor is gonna be good but what if he isn't and we didn't draft Doctson?
Old 04-25-2017, 11:18 AM   #3
mredskins
MVP

I hope we order a Ruben on Thursday.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:58 AM   #4
Irrefutable
The Starter

The slow rebuilding plan is working great, 3 playoff wins in the last 24 years. The future is now. It is unlikely KC will be here next year, as well as other key members of the team. This wait until next year strategy is not working.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...dskins_seasons
Irrefutable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 01:06 PM   #5
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irrefutable View Post
The slow rebuilding plan is working great, 3 playoff wins in the last 24 years. The future is now. It is unlikely KC will be here next year, as well as other key members of the team. This wait until next year strategy is not working.

dude calm down

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 04:27 PM   #6
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:

Ok so what would be your plan? That future is now shit has not worked around here. We've been there and done that. There are no quick fixes in the NFL.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 04:31 PM   #7
los panda
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Ok so what would be your plan? That future is now shit has not worked around here. We've been there and done that. There are no quick fixes in the NFL.
if we can just get bruce smith and deion sanders under contract, we should be good. #backtothefutureisnow
Old 04-25-2017, 05:50 PM   #8
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by los panda View Post
if we can just get bruce smith and deion sanders under contract, we should be good. #backtothefutureisnow
Mark Carrier too

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 09:31 PM   #9
skinsfan69
Living Legend

This kid Reddick out of Temple seems to be getting a lot of talk lately. He's only 230lbs so I'm not sure if he can rush the passer at OLB. I was reading that they put him at ILB at the Senior Bowl. That seems like an interesting spot. He could be what we need, someone that's fast, explosive and can make plays.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:51 PM   #10
Irrefutable
The Starter

Quote:
trade down unless a great player at a position of need is available. Do not trade for picks in next year's draft . Draft players at positions of need.... there are plenty of needs, so what if they are rated slightly lower.

Rumor is the Texans wants to move up about 8 spots to get a QB. The Redskins would get pick #25 and the Texans #2 pick.... for pick #17

If the Redskins can come up with 12 picks, then maybe they will find more than 2 who contribute in 2017
Old 04-26-2017, 10:56 AM   #11
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
trade down unless a great player at a position of need is available. Do not trade for picks in next year's draft . Draft players at positions of need.... there are plenty of needs, so what if they are rated slightly lower.

Rumor is the Texans wants to move up about 8 spots to get a QB. The Redskins would get pick #25 and the Texans #2 pick.... for pick #17

If the Redskins can come up with 12 picks, then maybe they will find more than 2 who contribute in 2017
Again though, it's flat out stupid to judge a draft after one year. Doc, Cravens, Fuller could all have a huge impact on this years team. I think SM traded for extra picks in this years draft cause it's obviously deeper on the defensive side of the ball.

Also if you get three players out of a draft that become good players then that's a good draft.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:45 AM   #12
Irrefutable
The Starter

Quote:
Again though, it's flat out stupid to judge a draft after one year. Doc, Cravens, Fuller could all have a huge impact on this years team. I think SM traded for extra picks in this years draft cause it's obviously deeper on the defensive side of the ball.

Also if you get three players out of a draft that become good players then that's a good draft.

You could win the power ball too.

No, you will never be a playoff team if all you can get is 3 good players per draft.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:06 AM   #13
WillH
The Starter

Quote:

Have you been watching the past 24 seasons? How many times did we try the win now strategy?

Free Agent splurges.
College Coach with a surefire offense that overhauls the team.
Trade away the future for a surefire QB prospect.

Just to name a few examples of failed win now attempts.

The slow rebuild is only 3 years in. There has been a significant improvement on offense, and we started by building a strong o line and developing a QB. Defense has been neglected in recent off seasons, but that largely has to do with what opportunities were available. We have been signing free agents to smart contracts and resigning productive guys and letting people walk that aren't worth their market value. This is how to build a long term winner. See the Patriots. Name me one team that has had sustained success with this supposed win now strategy?

And what specifically are you suggesting be done differently? Is this an argument against BPA? Let's think, did the skins ever reach and over saturate a position of need in the draft? Do the names Malcom Kelly and Devin Thomas ring a bell? I guess it is pretty easy to forget them TBH.
Old 04-26-2017, 02:04 AM   #14
Irrefutable
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillH View Post
Have you been watching the past 24 seasons? How many times did we try the win now strategy?

Free Agent splurges.
College Coach with a surefire offense that overhauls the team.
Trade away the future for a surefire QB prospect.

Just to name a few examples of failed win now attempts.

The slow rebuild is only 3 years in. There has been a significant improvement on offense, and we started by building a strong o line and developing a QB. Defense has been neglected in recent off seasons, but that largely has to do with what opportunities were available. We have been signing free agents to smart contracts and resigning productive guys and letting people walk that aren't worth their market value. This is how to build a long term winner. See the Patriots. Name me one team that has had sustained success with this supposed win now strategy?

And what specifically are you suggesting be done differently? Is this an argument against BPA? Let's think, did the skins ever reach and over saturate a position of need in the draft? Do the names Malcom Kelly and Devin Thomas ring a bell? I guess it is pretty easy to forget them TBH.
I said nothing about signing high priced free agents.

Nothing about coaches.

And I want to trade down, not up in the draft.

They could lose 4/5 of the offensive line in the next year or two. And the starting QB,WR, ILB, S could be gone next year as well. The 3 to 5 year plan starts over next year.

Good teams are built in the early to mid rounds in the draft..... Such as Cousins, Reed,Crowder, maybe Cravens. However, 1 or 2 good mid round picks a year and you will be rebuilding forever.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:36 PM   #15
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Per Keim on Twitter:
"was told ONLY off position they'd take is RB"

This is in regards to the 17th pick.

First, it makes sense. So Oline, TE, WR and QB(I don't think they would ever consider) are all off the board for 17. Second, they are really considering RB and it also lets us know RB is a spot under the microscope they will be looking to improve, if not at 17, then probably somewhere in the top half of the draft. Again, makes sense.

Keim also said tonight (he's doing some mock espn draft show) pass rushers are a major focus with the draft.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote