Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Sam Howell Traded

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 03-15-2024, 09:24 AM   #46
rocnrik
Playmaker

Re: Sam Howell Traded

i will finish my thoughts up on this .. right now we got MM. We will draft a QB and we are one play from MM as our 24 starter . i hope the rookie is a home run and stays healthy (we could have not signed Marcus .. kept Sam and see what the Rookie has) .. i'm not a fan of MM ..at all
rocnrik is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-15-2024, 09:39 AM   #47
Darrell Green Fan
Camp Scrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmundDorf View Post
He had his knee injured in his rookie season because his OLine couldn't block, by Jon Allen if I recall. Missed a large part of the season. They then started putting major resources into building the OL. Who knows how that will effect the longevity of his career.

The point remains a bad OL didn't ruin him, and you are speculating that the injury was a direct result of that poor OL when we don't know that.
Darrell Green Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 09:44 AM   #48
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Pretty funny that Sam was a hotter commodity than justin fields.

Multiple teams were in on Sam trying to make a trade

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 10:35 AM   #49
Hoglips
Camp Scrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
Adding picks to move up to 1?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And find a better OT, I assume? When you replace a young, cheap, durable QB who may have some upside with Mariota for a little bit more draft capital, I'd say your your theory has legs.
Hoglips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 10:40 AM   #50
MTK
\m/

Basically got the equivalent of a late 3rd/early 4th for Sam, I think that’s a slam dunk win for this trade
Old 03-15-2024, 10:41 AM   #51
Redskins247
Impact Rookie

I agree with some of you, that I'd rather have Sam than Mariota...however they are backups at the end of the day. If they hit on the QB in the draft, it won't matter. An improved 3rd and a 5th round picks were much better than just a 6th like the Pats got for Jones. Both have had some flashes of good and very bad.
Redskins247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 10:47 AM   #52
mredskins
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskins247 View Post
I agree with some of you, that I'd rather have Sam than Mariota...however they are backups at the end of the day. If they hit on the QB in the draft, it won't matter. An improved 3rd and a 5th round picks were much better than just a 6th like the Pats got for Jones. Both have had some flashes of good and very bad.
i rather sam on the field i rather marcus in the qb room holding the new qb's hand through the basics of nfl life
Old 03-15-2024, 10:47 AM   #53
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Pretty funny that Sam was a hotter commodity than justin fields.

Multiple teams were in on Sam trying to make a trade
FWIW

Sources: BREAKING NEWS #CTESPN

Chicago Bears front office wanted to take Caleb Williams and trade Justin Fields. But the whole team made it known that Justin was their QB.

The Bears are attempting to trade the #1 pick. If price isn’t right then they will look at WR.

Antonio Brown

Before we all laugh he called the Henry to Ravens before it happened
Old 03-15-2024, 10:55 AM   #54
mredskins
MVP

Quote:
FWIW

Sources: BREAKING NEWS #CTESPN

Chicago Bears front office wanted to take Caleb Williams and trade Justin Fields. But the whole team made it known that Justin was their QB.

The Bears are attempting to trade the #1 pick. If price isn’t right then they will look at WR.

Antonio Brown

Before we all laugh he called the Henry to Ravens before it happened
at this point fields is a better NFL QB then CW and a known commodity and loved by his team

so...do you run with him trade back and give him more to work with; harrison jr probably the best player in the draft

they like us have many holes to fill

i think us trading up would be super risky
Old 03-15-2024, 11:01 AM   #55
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

The only problem is, they may only like one of these three QBs, and the only way you can guarantee you get him is to trade up. Otherwise, you risk NOT getting your guy, and either settling for one of the other QBs you aren't as excited about, or whom doesn't exactly fit the plan/scheme, or rolling with MM...which obviously isn't an option...
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 11:02 AM   #56
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
at this point fields is a better NFL QB then CW and a known commodity and loved by his team

so...do you run with him trade back and give him more to work with; harrison jr probably the best player in the draft

they like us have many holes to fill

i think us trading up would be super risky
Bears lost all leverage now tho.

They have 4 picks in the entire draft.

We could trade them #2 and a 2 other picks and a next yr pick
Old 03-15-2024, 11:44 AM   #57
GridIron26
Playmaker

Quote:
Bears lost all leverage now tho.

They have 4 picks in the entire draft.

We could trade them #2 and a 2 other picks and a next yr pick
That's a lot, just to move up one slot..
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 11:52 AM   #58
Meks
Pro Bowl

Fuck moving up the bears will have plenty of suitors or take Harrison. That's prolly been the smoke screen plan along hence letting mooney walk ... who knows
R.I.P #21SEAN TAYLOR
Meks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 12:22 PM   #59
mredskins
MVP

Commanders get: 2024 third-round pick and 2024 fifth-round pick
Seahawks get: Howell, 2024 fourth-round pick, 2024 sixth-round pick

Commanders' grade: B
Seahawks' grade: B+

The Seahawks started the day with only Geno Smith under contract at quarterback. Now the Seahawks have a potential challenger to Smith as their starting QB.

A fifth-rounder in the 2022 draft, Howell played 17 games for the Commanders last season. In an odd twist, he netted one draft asset (No. 78 overall) that is higher than his original draft slot (No. 144).

After a red-hot start, Howell faded down the stretch before being benched for Jacoby Brissett, only to return to action after an injury to the veteran.

Howell ended the season with 21 touchdown passes to 21 interceptions, was sacked 65 times and completed 63.4% of his passes for a QBR of 42.4 -- No. 24 in the league. An offense marred by poor offensive line play and Howell's inexperience ultimately led to a complete regime change in Washington.

Now he's in Seattle, where new offensive coordinator Ryan Grubb may be looking to spice up the offense.

Smith, returning for his third season as Seattle's starter, was No. 23 in the league in air yards per attempt at 7.0 yards. Grubb, who comes to the Seahawks from the University of Washington, loves the deep ball. Interestingly enough, Howell's QBR of 98.2 on outside deep routes was fourth best in the league. Fun fact: Smith had the NFL's worst QBR in the same situations (2.6).

If Grubb plans to bring his three-wide, vertical offense from Washington to the Seahawks, Howell's deep ball touch and power are actually good fits.

For Washington, all signs should now firmly point to selecting a quarterback at No. 2 overall if they didn't already.

The Commanders signed veteran Marcus Mariota and have Jake Fromm on the roster. With the second overall pick in a draft that could potentially have four quarterbacks selected in the top 10, GM Adam Peters can go get his quarterback. And he now has some extra draft capital to build a team around that signal-caller, as this trade gives Washington six of the top 100 picks.

And maybe, just maybe, that's enough draft capital to entice Chicago to switch places so the Commanders can pick hometown quarterback Caleb Williams at No. 1 overall? -- Miller
Old 03-15-2024, 01:37 PM   #60
skinsnut
Playmaker

This is what I think:
A full assessment of the top 3 QBs in the draft have been completed. The new FO is Rick solid on who they will pick at 2. They will not move up. They are completely sold on Maye or Daniels as our franchise QB.
Why do I suggest this?
If they weren't sure, and wanted to hedge their bets, they keep a cheap developmental piece in Howell. They traded him and signed a typical lame backup.
What about a trade up?
It is still possible, but if they weren't Rick solid on #2, no way they would have made those moves. If they are all chips in in #2, why would they trade Anything to go to #1, when we need 2 Tackles? Makes no sense.
For such a strategy as conservative with all the free agents signings, the Quarterback move was all chips in on #2. This is a high confidence move
An outrageous possibility would be they already have a vet trade tagged in writing for our QB starter, but that is hard to fathom.
So the good news here is, the new FO has done extensive homework and has no doubts who their next QB is, anything they say to the contrary is BS.
I am glad, but a bit scared