Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

If Smith returns....HYPOTHETICALLY speaking.....

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 06-21-2019, 12:50 PM   #1
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

Re: If Smith returns....HYPOTHETICALLY speaking.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
If Smith wants to push to come back I say good for him and I wish him well. I don’t know why some want to kick dirt on him and say he should move on. That’s his decision to make.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Because we don't want to see him risk his long term health. How many NFL players suffer in their 50's and up for what they did to their bodies when they were younger.
Buffalo Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 12:17 AM   #2
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
If Smith wants to push to come back I say good for him and I wish him well. I don’t know why some want to kick dirt on him and say he should move on. That’s his decision to make.

This is why I started this discussion....despite people saying he will never play again he has aspirations to play again...
Old 06-21-2019, 04:49 PM   #3
Meks
Pro Bowl

It is his decision tho..
R.I.P #21SEAN TAYLOR
Meks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 05:29 PM   #4
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meks View Post
It is his decision tho..
......this.
Old 06-21-2019, 06:49 PM   #5
calia
Playmaker

I understand Smith's feelings on this. After am excellent career, who wants to go out that way?

My dad had something similar happen -- after 35+ years in his remarkable career and 2 months from retirement he had a mild heart attack (thankfully, he was OK, and this was 16 years ago now, and he's not had any follow up issues). But he didn't want to leave on that note, and so after being out for about 5 months, he un-retired and went back to work. In fact, he ended up working for another 7 years or so, and added a number of other huge accomplishments to his considerable list of achievements.

Points being that he wanted to retire on his terms, and probably wasn't ready to leave the career he loved when he was set to retire initially in any event.

I bet that Smith is feeling the same way. And I wish him every success as he pursues that goal. He's surely earned the right to do so.
Old 06-21-2019, 08:25 PM   #6
Irrefutable
The Starter

Smith hopes to be back "at some point" . . . if he is healthy in 2020 why not? They will only have 2 QBs under contract. And they will still be paying him.
Irrefutable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 09:56 AM   #7
GridIron26
Playmaker

I am not against Smith coming back, in fact, I probably would want to do same thing if I was him. I am just saying that I don't see how this will work out for Smith and Redskins since we drafted Haskins. Only scenario I can see where Smith returns to Redskins is if he accepts mentor/back-up role.
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 12:38 AM   #8
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GridIron26 View Post
I am not against Smith coming back, in fact, I probably would want to do same thing if I was him. I am just saying that I don't see how this will work out for Smith and Redskins since we drafted Haskins. Only scenario I can see where Smith returns to Redskins is if he accepts mentor/back-up role.
I'm thinking the same way as you...with McCoy, Keenum, and Haskins the QB position became a bit crowded....the only other two ways out of this situation would be if the Redskins either trade Smith or release him.
Old 06-24-2019, 07:38 AM   #9
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSKINS4ever View Post
I'm thinking the same way as you...with McCoy, Keenum, and Haskins the QB position became a bit crowded....the only other two ways out of this situation would be if the Redskins either trade Smith or release him.
Trade Smith?! Trust me on this one, no team is going to trade for Smith for several reasons that should be obvious.

Also, how would the QB position become crowded if Smith were to come back? The reality is that McCoy and Keenum are not NFL starter quality players and Haskins is an unproven rookie.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 10:14 AM   #10
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

The Haskins pick mean we have officially moved on...there is no way Alex plays this year. Let Alex continue to heal and help Haskins in the classroom. There is no way I’m hoping for Alex to return as the QB for Skins bc that mean Haskins is failing.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 01:20 PM   #11
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

The offseason is a bitch.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 09:59 AM   #12
httr198020
Special Teams

Checkdown Alex is garbage. He needs to retire. We need to do everything we can to get him off of our books. We must release him as soon as possible.
httr198020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 10:06 AM   #13
calia
Playmaker

If Smith returns....HYPOTHETICALLY speaking.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by httr198020 View Post
Checkdown Alex is garbage. He needs to retire. We need to do everything we can to get him off of our books. We must release him as soon as possible.

I think httr stands for hater. Seriously, dude, referring to the man as “garbage” is just wrong. There aren’t two categories of QB - elite and garbage. Smith has had a nice career and had us up two games in the NFCE when hurt. Give the man a little respect.

Last edited by calia; 06-23-2019 at 05:00 PM.
calia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 03:16 PM   #14
httr198020
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by calia View Post
I think httr stands for hater. Seriously, dude, referring to the man as “garbage” is just wrong. There aren’t two categories of QB - elite and garbage. Smith has had a nice career and had us up two games in the NFCE when hurt. Give the man a little respect.

I'm just being completely honest. Check down Alex reminds me of Mark Brunell. Just as sorry excuse for a NFL qb. I'm not saying he hasn't had a good career. But he was never going to take this team anywhere. He has a weak ass arm, no accuracy, and overrated mobility. I'm not saying that it's all his fault the offense was crap, because in my opinion Jay Gruden below average play calling help contribute to that. All I'm saying is that Check down Alex is a below average qb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irrefutable View Post
Unfortunately, the cap hits will be enormous

2019 - 42 million
2020 - 32 million
2021 - 10.8 million

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/washington-redskins/cap/
Do you anyone really thinks Check down Alex is worth this type of money? Only a complete buffoon would paid this bum 42 million in one season. I remember when we traded for him. I told my uncle that Check down Alex sucks and Andy Reid was going to get over on us again. One year later I look like a goddamn genius.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
Because the skins took out an insurance policy on Smith, if he is never medically cleared to play again, they get a 12M cap credit.

If Smith wants to keep playing, that's his right to do so, but given his age, the severity of the injury, the fact that the skins have already signed his long-term replacement relegating him to being a backup, and the amount of guaranteed money he still has from the deal... it would seem to be in his long-term physical and financial best interests to simply not play football again.
I agree with everything you said. He should never play football again mainly because he's horrible.
httr198020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 03:32 PM   #15
GridIron26
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by httr198020 View Post
Do you anyone really thinks Check down Alex is worth this type of money? Only a complete buffoon would paid this bum 42 million in one season. I remember when we traded for him. I told my uncle that Check down Alex sucks and Andy Reid was going to get over on us again. One year later I look like a goddamn genius..
It does not matter if we think Smith is worth the money - Smith and Redskins agreed to the contract and there is no way for Redskins to back out from the contract unless Smith retires. Therefore, we must account the money for Smith until his contract expires or Smith retires.
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote