Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Laron Landry = Lavar?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 11-02-2011, 10:29 AM   #1
freddyg12
Playmaker

Laron Landry = Lavar?

Dirty 30 is a guy that I wish I could like more. I know he is coming off an injury & he was playing lights out last year beforehand. But the 2nd half TD incident w/London in his face sunday really made me think about his overall approach to the game. Something's been wrong w/this defense the last couple weeks, I wonder if he's part of the problem.

He is great at making big hits, but if you watch him take on blockers he usually takes himself out of the play. His coverage issues have been talked about by us quite a bit.

Is Laron our present day Lavar? A big hitter but undisciplined? Is he a Shanahan guy? I'm actually wondering if the staff feels he's worth investing in beyond his current deal.
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 11-02-2011, 10:36 AM   #2
GMScud
Swearinger

Re: Laron Landry = Lavar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddyg12 View Post
Dirty 30 is a guy that I wish I could like more. I know he is coming off an injury & he was playing lights out last year beforehand. But the 2nd half TD incident w/London in his face sunday really made me think about his overall approach to the game. Something's been wrong w/this defense the last couple weeks, I wonder if he's part of the problem.

He is great at making big hits, but if you watch him take on blockers he usually takes himself out of the play. His coverage issues have been talked about by us quite a bit.

Is Laron our present day Lavar? A big hitter but undisciplined? Is he a Shanahan guy? I'm actually wondering if the staff feels he's worth investing in beyond his current deal.
Yeah he's wildly inconsistent, talks way too much ish, is borderline dirty, and the years keep passing while we wait for him to be an elite safety. I don't think he's really healthy right now, but aside from the first half of last year, we have yet to see him rise to the level we hoped for when we made him a top 10 pick.

All that said, I still think we'll re-sign him. Our secondary is doggy doo doo. I know he's a liability in coverage at times, but the back 4 is worse without him.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:45 AM   #3
over the mountain
Playmaker

i think landrys best and quietest year was when he was assigned to be the lone deep guy who covered sideline to sideline.

i think atogwe was brought in to take over that duty and allow landry to play closer to the line.

i think atogwes absence has been a big problem.

i think landry needs to improve to be that all around beast we hoped from him but even with his certain limitations, he still one of the few younger core pieces we have.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:53 AM   #4
Defensewins
Playmaker

There are guys on this defense that are playing worse then Dirty 30.
CB's Barnes and Wilson have played worse. Orakpo has been playing just to get sacks and forgets his gap responsibility in the run game. It has killed us on numerous occasions. Rookie Kerrigan is playing better thatn Orakpo and is our most consistent OLB by far. I think these three (Barnes, Wilson and Orakpo) have played worse than Landry.

Last edited by Defensewins; 11-02-2011 at 10:55 AM.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 10:54 AM   #5
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

My biggest complaint about Landry has nothing to do with LL himself but with Redskins management. My complaint is that we could have drafted Adrian Peterson instead in the 2007 draft. AP was one of the greatest college RBs that I have seen. I wanted him badly for the Skins, but n-o-o-o-o-o!
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 10:55 AM   #6
Ruhskins
Living Legend

The defensive backs on this team appear to continue to have communication issues, and the Landry incident on Sunday is just another proof of this. Actually lack of communication seems to be an issue that has plagued our secondary for a long time. It seems to me that the coaching staff has always depended on the pass rush as a way to improve the secondary. However, Haslett and the DBs coach need to find a way to fix this communication issue so the secondary is effective when the pass rush fails.

This is why I am critical of people that go on auto-b*tch mode and focus on one guy when something bad happens. There are plenty of situation where just one guy screwed up, but often time when there has been breakdowns in our coverage it's because there was no communication between two players (example: when Buchannon left Doughty one-on-one with Andre Johnson last year in the Texans game).
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 11:12 AM   #7
freddyg12
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
The defensive backs on this team appear to continue to have communication issues, and the Landry incident on Sunday is just another proof of this. Actually lack of communication seems to be an issue that has plagued our secondary for a long time. It seems to me that the coaching staff has always depended on the pass rush as a way to improve the secondary. However, Haslett and the DBs coach need to find a way to fix this communication issue so the secondary is effective when the pass rush fails.

This is why I am critical of people that go on auto-b*tch mode and focus on one guy when something bad happens. There are plenty of situation where just one guy screwed up, but often time when there has been breakdowns in our coverage it's because there was no communication between two players (example: when Buchannon left Doughty one-on-one with Andre Johnson last year in the Texans game).
Don't know if that's directed at me, I can see how it appears I'm blaming Landry for a bigger problem. When coaches look to address a problem, personel is obviously a major part, so I'm just pointing out that LL may be part of the problem, not the whole problem itself.

That said, Fletcher does not often single someone out so visibly. In fact, I can't recall a game in which he appeared SO pissed off at another player. That likely means that this is a recurring problem & he is taking it upon himself to single out LL.

Miscommunication in the secondary will always occur throughout any season, even w/great defenses. Players will misread plays. The problem is compounded by players, like Lavar, that continually freelance out of the system. That 1 player's attitude & play can snowball on a team. I'm just wondering if some of that is happening on this D w/Landry.
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 11:26 AM   #8
#56fanatic
The Starter

Amazing what a few losses in row will do to players reputations. LL isn't playing any worse or better than he usually does. This D has struggled the last few games, and certain areas are suffering more than others. THe run D has looked pretty bad lately, and his job (primarily) is to help along the line of scrimmage. Its not all one guy, this team D has been bad all together recently. Barnes is horrlbe, and the corners have been giving up some plays, which I think LL is pressing a bit on all aspects of the D. Trying to do too much at the line, which is hurthing the coverage. THe corners are struggling and Atogwe being injured for a couple of games also hurts. I think once they get into a groove, 30 & 20 will be just fine. LL is a beast of a talent, and is a pretty damn good safety.

Lets not call out one guy when the whole damn D is struggling
#56fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 11:31 AM   #9
Sonny9TD

Quote:

He talks trash after the other team is up 14 points and just got a first down. Total dumbchiz. Other than that he hasn't been the same since since Brandon Jacobs steamrolled him and knocked him into next week a few years ago. He is good trade bait for Andrew Luck.
Sonny9TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 11:31 AM   #10
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Laron is a very solid player, I hope we bring him back with a reasonable contract.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 11:31 AM   #11
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by #56fanatic View Post
Amazing what a few losses in row will do to players reputations. LL isn't playing any worse or better than he usually does. This D has struggled the last few games, and certain areas are suffering more than others. THe run D has looked pretty bad lately, and his job (primarily) is to help along the line of scrimmage. Its not all one guy, this team D has been bad all together recently. Barnes is horrlbe, and the corners have been giving up some plays, which I think LL is pressing a bit on all aspects of the D. Trying to do too much at the line, which is hurthing the coverage. THe corners are struggling and Atogwe being injured for a couple of games also hurts. I think once they get into a groove, 30 & 20 will be just fine. LL is a beast of a talent, and is a pretty damn good safety.

Lets not call out one guy when the whole damn D is struggling
I agree. Seems a little too nit-picky to me to start singling out individuals when the unit as a whole is struggling and needs to pick it up. Seems like whenever the D struggles it's always Hall or Landry's fault.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:32 AM   #12
Defensewins
Playmaker

Quote:
Don't know if that's directed at me, I can see how it appears I'm blaming Landry for a bigger problem. When coaches look to address a problem, personel is obviously a major part, so I'm just pointing out that LL may be part of the problem, not the whole problem itself.

That said, Fletcher does not often single someone out so visibly. In fact, I can't recall a game in which he appeared SO pissed off at another player. That likely means that this is a recurring problem & he is taking it upon himself to single out LL.

Miscommunication in the secondary will always occur throughout any season, even w/great defenses. Players will misread plays. The problem is compounded by players, like Lavar, that continually freelance out of the system. That 1 player's attitude & play can snowball on a team. I'm just wondering if some of that is happening on this D w/Landry.
It also might mean Fletcher expects more from LL then some of the other players.
Shit rolls down hill, owner to coaches, coaches to team leaders, leaders to rest of the players. While LL is not the team leader Fletcher is, LL's level of play is expected to be top level and he is expected to one of the leaders of the secondary. A unit that happens to be under performing. I do not think Landry is the problem. Fletch is frustrated.
There are guys playing a lot worse than Landry and you do not see them getting screamed at in public.
The expectation level is higher for a Flech and LL. That is all.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 11:38 AM   #13
mlmpetert
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post

Yeah i agree with all of this. Although it doesnt seem like just a lack of communication i think its also a major lack of trust. I think the freelancing LL does is encouraged by Hasslet, but im sure it is controlled so that the secondary knows when LL migth do it. Maybe LL is freelancing when hes not susposed to?

OJ out is also defintely hurting us. And i agree with Defensewin, Orapko is definetly having problems picking up the run. He appears to have trouble knowing his assignements.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:43 AM   #14
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:

You're dead on. LL should be a great player but for whatever reason isn't.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 11:48 AM   #15
Sonny9TD

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
You're dead on. LL should be a great player but for whatever reason isn't.
Totally correct. REED DOUGHTY is more of a solid player.
Sonny9TD is offline   Reply With Quote