Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Laron Landry = Lavar?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 11-02-2011, 01:46 PM   #46
Sonny9TD

Re: Laron Landry = Lavar?

[QUOTE=Lotus;854978]Landry has not met his ceiling and certainly a large part of that is his own fault. He needs to do a lot of work to be more disciplined, take better angles, and be better in coverage. He has the physical tools but he needs to start using them better.

Well no shiz. That is the whole point. Now puff puff give.
Sonny9TD is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 11-02-2011, 01:46 PM   #47
sportscurmudgeon
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
tight safety? This is a new position?
The terminology is contagious.

I have a client who refers to strong safeties as tight safeties because they often have to cover the tight end. I will have to go and wash my hands to get that terminology out of them for the next time I type out a posting. :confused:
sportscurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 01:51 PM   #48
Defensewins
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
Landry has not met his ceiling and certainly a large part of that is his own fault. He needs to do a lot of work to be more disciplined, take better angles, and be better in coverage. He has the physical tools but he needs to start using them better.

That said, it is easy to find safeties who are worse than LL but hard to find safeties who are better than LL. Until we have something better, we need to hang onto him.

And for those arguing that Doughty is better than LL - please pass what you are smoking! Don't bogart that kind bud!
That is exactly right.
Why create a hole in the roster to fill another hole? That is spinning your wheels....like a dog chasing his tail.
We need to be patient and build through the draft over time.
Just as important, we need to bring in coaches that can develop talent. That can take promising young players and make them good NFL stars. Not coaches that have to have the talent in place to be good.
Doughty is not athletic enough to be an every day starter at safety or any other poistion in the NFL. I don't care how good his technique.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 01:52 PM   #49
sportscurmudgeon
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddyg12 View Post
Your assumption is that LL is not "free-lancing." I don't know whether he is or not, but in creating the thread I was at least posing that question, so thanks for a thoughtful reply.

It may be a fine line between "free-lancing" and simply consistently misreading plays. Lavar would bite hard on every play fake it seemed, was that free lancing or simply a consistent failure to see the ball & read the play? That may be what Fletch was upset about.

Another similarity; Lavar couldn't shed blocks. LL takes on blockers like they have the ball sometimes, puts his body into them w/a hit, basically takes himself out of the play.

Obviously, I cannot read Laron Landry's mind so I do not KNOW he is not freelancing. However, what I see from him is that he approaches developing plays in a single way. He runs headlong at the point of attack and when he arrives he tries to deliver a huge hit. That is what he does. And it is that singular intent that often gets him "beat deep". That is not a value judgement on Laron Landry as a person; it is just a conclusion drawn from what I have seen on the field for almost five years now.

Given the similarity of his play on the vast majority of offensive plays, I conclude that is not "freelancing"; it is the way he plays.

Arrington was easy to "diagnose" with freelancing. LaVar said that is how he preferred to play and felt "constrained" by the coaches when they got angry with him for playing like that.
sportscurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 02:00 PM   #50
Sonny9TD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensewins View Post
That is exactly right.
Why create a hole in the roster to fill another hole? That is spinning your wheels....like a dog chasing his tail.
We need to be patient and build through the draft over time.
Just as important, we need to bring in coaches that can develop talent. That can take promising young players and make them good NFL stars. Not coaches that have to have the talent in place to be good.
Doughty is not athletic enough to be an every day starter at safety or any other poistion in the NFL. I don't care how good his technique.
Don't sweat the technique. I just saw Laron fly by and crash into Canada. I haven't said this today so here goes. "I hate Dallas"

Last edited by Sonny9TD; 11-02-2011 at 02:03 PM.
Old 11-02-2011, 02:03 PM   #51
#56fanatic
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny9TD View Post
Thanks for being bold enough to say so. I respect that.

Just a couple of weeks ago it was how bad Doughty sucks, and can't tackle and can't cover. I guess when people go back to the bench when the starters are healthy, people forget what its like when they are actually on the field.
#56fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 02:04 PM   #52
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscurmudgeon View Post
Landry is going to expect a payday at the end of this season that is commensurate with what the Redskins pay for players who are recognized in the NFL. Translation:
He is gonna want guaranteed money and not just a little of it.

I don't see how he has any leverage. What accolades does he have to back up any type of big money salary demands?
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 02:07 PM   #53
#56fanatic
The Starter

Quote:
Totally correct. REED DOUGHTY is more of a solid player.
Did I actually just read the above statement??
this has to be a joke
#56fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 02:23 PM   #54
Sonny9TD

Quote:
Originally Posted by #56fanatic View Post
Just a couple of weeks ago it was how bad Doughty sucks, and can't tackle and can't cover. I guess when people go back to the bench when the starters are healthy, people forget what its like when they are actually on the field.
Not sure what you're talking about? You say that like Laron is playing better. Nope.

Last edited by Sonny9TD; 11-02-2011 at 02:28 PM.
Old 11-02-2011, 02:26 PM   #55
Sonny9TD

Quote:
Originally Posted by #56fanatic View Post
Did I actually just read the above statement??
this has to be a joke
No here is the joke
Laron is a much better tackler. Ba ha ha

Or, what NFL safety runs at the ball carrier as fast as they can and then flies completely over top of them without touching them?

But seriously it would be nice to see him make some tackles.

Last edited by Sonny9TD; 11-02-2011 at 02:42 PM.
Old 11-02-2011, 02:55 PM   #56
Longtimefan
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddyg12 View Post
Dirty 30 is a guy that I wish I could like more. I know he is coming off an injury & he was playing lights out last year beforehand. But the 2nd half TD incident w/London in his face sunday really made me think about his overall approach to the game. Something's been wrong w/this defense the last couple weeks, I wonder if he's part of the problem.

He is great at making big hits, but if you watch him take on blockers he usually takes himself out of the play. His coverage issues have been talked about by us quite a bit.

Is Laron our present day Lavar? A big hitter but undisciplined? Is he a Shanahan guy? I'm actually wondering if the staff feels he's worth investing in beyond his current deal.
Studs and Duds (defense): Redskins-Bills
By John Keim: Wash. Exam. (Duds)

SS LaRon Landry. He completely blew a coverage on the Bills’ last touchdown pass, a 15-yarder to Scott Chandler in the third quarter. Landry likes to take chances and veer off the script sometimes, but in this case it’s hard to tell why he reacted the way he did. Landry crept up near the line as if he was going to blitz or that he anticipated a run. Chandler ran right past Landry without drawing a glance. By the time Landry realized what was going on it was way too late. London Fletcher had a harsh reaction after the play; just a guess but Fletcher doesn’t go that crazy unless this has been an issue with this defense. Also, didn’t like that Landry wagged his finger at Steve Johnson after one play in which the Bills gained a first down but Landry ended up knocking the receiver to the ground (Johnson was also hit low by those involved in the play). The Bills were leading and had just gained a first down; no wagging. Love the passion he brings, but the timing has to be right.
Old 11-02-2011, 03:10 PM   #57
MTK
\m/

Quote:
"There goes the neighborhood". Funny.

You must like Laron's big muscles. Or is it the way he flies thru the air with a swing and a miss? But big muscles are impressive to some. Reed can tackle better than Laron. Laron should be more solid. He has the tools. But he hasn't proved it. He sure talks a good game after the other team gets a first down and we are behind big time and he happens to be in on the tackle. There is a reason Reed is on the team playing. He has heart and doesn't talk stupid chit at the wrong time. See link below for Laron's solid play.

Washington Redskins' LaRon Landry Needs to Learn How to Tackle | Bleacher Report
I'll say this, if you could put Reed's head on LL's body, you would have a true superstar.

Because that's impossible of course, I'll stick with LL starting over Doughty. It's not even close. I like Reed, solid dude and a good special teams/backup, but he's not a starter.
Old 11-02-2011, 03:30 PM   #58
Alvin Walton
Pro Bowl

Landry is like David Boston.
Take his shirt off and he's top 10.
Leave it on and he's a big name without big stats.
Old 11-02-2011, 03:31 PM   #59
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
I'll say this, if you could put Reed's head on LL's body, you would have a true superstar.

Because that's impossible of course, I'll stick with LL starting over Doughty. It's not even close. I like Reed, solid dude and a good special teams/backup, but he's not a starter.
Pretty much this.

LL is in the same boat as D. Hall in my book. Physically, they are two of the best players in the NFL at their position. They however lack the discipline to make them All-Pro on the level of a Ed Reed or Revis. I think that's what pisses me off the most, I KNOW they have the talent. This wasn't meant to be a shot at D. Hall, I just wanted to equate it to why I feel the same about LL as I do him.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 03:47 PM   #60
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

When LL leaves via free agency, its gonna be the same situation as Carlos. We are gonna be kicking ourselves we didnt treat this guy better and will he probably end up in the probowl, just like Carlos is this year.

Laron is a borderline probowl type. My biggest problem is the recent injury issues. Dont want to give him a contract if he cant play at least 14-16 games a year.

To say Reed even close to the talent of LL is an epic fail. Not a comparison, believe me if we cut Reed tomorrow nobody picks his worthless ass up. No one

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote