Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

Working Out In Your 40's

Parking Lot

Old 03-27-2018, 02:54 PM   #1
metalskins
The Starter

Working Out In Your 40's

So, they say the body you build in your 30's is the body you'll have in your 40's and beyond. Those suckers lied! I did P90X in my mid 30's, got absolutely ripped, and then got married, had a kid, and got fat! Not necessarily all in that order.

So now, I'm 43 years old, and I'm once again heading back to the P90X. Started a few days ago. I have to say, my arms are so sore that I can't hardly straighten them out, but man, I can already tell some definition coming back. Last time I did P90X, I lost about 25 pounds. Like I said, this was back in my mid-30's. I remember when I did P90X, I wasn't necessarily following their diet plan. I would try to eat somewhat healthy during the week, but I remember eating a lot of Lean Cuisine meals, Campbell's soup, and drinking a lot of diet Mt. Dew, lol! I do remember not drinking as much water as I should. But still, I ate a lot of processed, boxed food and canned veggies and soups. Not the healthiest diet.

This time around, I have ditched the soft drinks. I usually drink water with the occasional sweet tea. My wife won't buy me any boxed meals anymore (even though she hardly ever cooks), and she thinks the soups have too much sodium in them. So, I'm trying to eat more broiled and grilled chicken. As far as the workouts, I am trying to work myself back into them a bit slower. I have definitely noticed a lot more aches and pains with this 43 year old body trying to do a boot camp-like workout, but I'm already hooked on it again. As long as my wife and kid allows me to stick with it, I should be in great shape by the time I go to my annual beer festival in July, LOL!

Advertisements
Old 03-29-2018, 09:54 AM   #2
MTK
\m/

Re: Working Out In Your 40's

P90X is a good program, I did it a few years ago. I couldn’t really imagine doing it again just because of the big time commitment. I still use the videos here and there to supplement my regular workouts. In my mid 40s I definitely feel the aches and pains I didn’t 10 years ago. As Tony Horton stresses stretching and hydration is key.
Old 03-29-2018, 12:28 PM   #3
mredskins
MVP

At 44 I got start doing more, I am feeling it now.

Really the big thing is too limit your calorie intake and move more makes a big difference.
Old 03-29-2018, 04:32 PM   #4
Giantone
Gamebreaker

My job was a physical job in the warehouse ,lots of walking ,bending and lifting so I was ok in my thirties and mid forties. The the wife had major back surgery was in a bed in the living room upper body cast etc, and while she was in the early stages of recovery at home I slept right next to her becuase there was medicine issues such as one every four or every six hours some on full some on empty stomach type things so I would sleep when she did I would eat when she would and in a three month period I went from 240 to 275 but felt I was able to handle it. She got better and I lost some weight and then it started .I got a different job in the warehouse , a less active one and I lost weight and gain back twice as much after about 15 years I was way ,way over weight...over 300 but I retired and it comes off much slower than it went on. I walk every day now anywhere from 4 to 6 miles a day and eat better.I have dropped about 32 pounds but still have a long way to go.
Old 03-30-2018, 01:03 PM   #5
itvnetop
Playmaker

Eating clean and getting adequate sleep are crucial to staying fit in your 40s. Hydrate properly and make sure you give your body the time it needs to repair. If you're lucky enough to get your workout in before work or during, it really does help with the rest of the day.

my blather
itvnetop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 02:50 PM   #6
metalskins
The Starter

So, I've been doing P90X for a couple weeks now, and I have to say, I still love it, but I definitely can't do what I worked up to the last time. Even the Ab Ripper-X is hard LOL! But I already feel like I'm in better shape than I was a couple weeks ago. Seriously! I'm trying to watch what I eat as well. We had a weekend of super bad eating a couple weekends ago, so I'm still recovering from that, but I have to say, I have really missed working out with P90X! I'd rather do it than to workout in the gym.