Lance Briggs Wants Out of Chicago

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 03-14-2007, 10:17 AM   #16
Sheriff Gonna Getcha
Franchise Player

Re: Lance Briggs Wants OUt of Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
I agree with you 100%. But these are the rules of the NFL. Teams have a right to tag you. You don't see Asante Samuel crying to the media do you? Players need to realize this and not take it personal. The worst thing to do is go cry to every media outlet about making 7mil. That is what probably pisses off the fans that pay his salary. These are everyday working people who would love the chance to make 7 mil. It doesn't mean a long term deal can't be worked out. It's only March. They have several more months to get something done before the season starts.
I definately agree that Briggs isn't helping his stock in the eyes of other teams. But, he is certainly improving the chances of a trade. I don't agree with his public whining, but I can understand why he wants to get paid.
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-14-2007, 10:22 AM   #17
12thMan
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff Gonna Getcha View Post
I definately agree that Briggs isn't helping his stock in the eyes of other teams. But, he is certainly improving the chances of a trade. I don't agree with his public whining, but I can understand why he wants to get paid.

As far as his public whining goes, he's just using the same public medium the NFL uses to market and make millions off these athletes.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 10:23 AM   #18
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Here's my thing about that. Sure, I wouldn't turn down $70,000 to go to another job, but if I'm already making enough money to live on the rest of my life, my loyalties and attitude are going to be a bit different. When it's the difference between comfortably living life or living life in luxury, I'm going to remember where I came from and sacrifice some of that money to charity and help to better this world.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:26 AM   #19
dmek25
MVP

you just used the key word that is missing in todays sports, loyalty. no one has it anymore. it is always about the money
Old 03-14-2007, 10:30 AM   #20
12thMan
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMalcolmConnection View Post
Here's my thing about that. Sure, I wouldn't turn down $70,000 to go to another job, but if I'm already making enough money to live on the rest of my life, my loyalties and attitude are going to be a bit different. When it's the difference between comfortably living life or living life in luxury, I'm going to remember where I came from and sacrifice some of that money to charity and help to better this world.

You're right, TMC. I agree with you, but...the culture of the NFL is very unique and different from ours. And in fact, it's a money and greed driven culture that exists because of the owners.

If the Dan Snyders or Jerry Jones aren't turning away dollars or opportunities to pack stadiums to generate more revenue, I think it's unfair to ask the players, who are in fact the product, to turn away their portion of that revenue too.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:31 AM   #21
Big C
Mr. Brightside

none of this is new news, and briggs is not on our radar. nothing to worry about
Old 03-14-2007, 10:37 AM   #22
FRPLG
MVP

this isn't about $7M. This is about more like $20M. If he gets hurt next year and never plays the same again then he is out the extra guaranteed money he would get from a long term. I would be more inclined to side with the Bears if they hadn't displayed on several occasions the desire to simply be cheap. Also if they proceeded to negotaite in good faith after they designated him then I'd understand a little more. But to make an offer, have it refused and then franchise the guy and basically say "screw you". Well they're getting what they deserve.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 10:37 AM   #23
Sheriff Gonna Getcha
Franchise Player

Quote:
You're certainly a better man than most. I think I am a very loyal guy. I've never cheated on my girlfriend, I went to jail one night for my best friend because I refused to rat him out and say a small baggie of weed was his (even though he didn't man up and admit it was his), and I've always been very loyal to my employers.

However, if I had worked for pennies for years for my employer despite being one of its best employees and, when my employment contract was up, my employer offered me a bad deal, I'd be pissed and be forced to re-evaluate my loyalties.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:44 AM   #24
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Right, as would I.

My point is that half a million dollars isn't pennies. He'll make his money and I think they offered him a pretty fair deal of thirty-three million. If he didn't talk about money and talked more about his passion for the game and wanting to be "the man" I think less people would be pissed at him.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:45 AM   #25
12thMan
MVP

I think another thing to take into consideration is that Briggs was being paid $700K while performing at a franchise level.

So I think in hindsight, he's saying, hey, this just isn't just about what I want, but look at what I did for you guys in the past too.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:47 AM   #26
Sheriff Gonna Getcha
Franchise Player

Quote:
Right, as would I.

My point is that half a million dollars isn't pennies. He'll make his money and I think they offered him a pretty fair deal of thirty-three million. If he didn't talk about money and talked more about his passion for the game and wanting to be "the man" I think less people would be pissed at him.
Yeah, I definately think his whining is hurting his image in the eyes of the public and other teams. He should keep his mouth shut in public, tell the Bears he wants a trade, and that's that. I also certainly agree that he was offered a ton of money, certainly not "pennies." I guess I simply meant to say that he was offered a contract that was probably well-below market value (even if the market is inflated).
Old 03-14-2007, 10:47 AM   #27
12thMan
MVP

Quote:
Right, as would I.

I think you're right. It seems like a lot of his ego is in the way. That's the flip side of the coin. This all may be about him getting his 'props' more than anything else.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:48 AM   #28
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

SGG, now that I'm reading what I wrote, I'm playing devil's advocate on myself. Even though I might be a millionaire, I feel like a lot of the poorer people can better their situations, so why should I be giving them my hard-earned money? LOL.

I know, that makes me sound like a giant douche. However, I'd still donate to charities.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:53 AM   #29
FRPLG
MVP

The whining might be hurting his image but in the end it is facilitating him getting paid. Either Chicago will man up and give him a fair market deal or they'll dump him and he'll get paid somewhere else. He is just playing the game of NFL free agency.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 10:54 AM   #30
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

You don't think that teams will see this incessant whining and think of that as a red flag for the future?

Say he goes somewhere and isn't "the man"? He'd probably still be unhappy.