Mike Williams Cut by Raiders

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 10-31-2007, 12:23 PM   #16
skinsfan_nn
Playmaker

Re: Mike Williams Cut by Raiders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacks42 View Post
Well Randy Moss was let go by the Raiders for not having any heart. Look at him now!
He's not OR never was a randy moss talent! Trashbag!
"There's no greater feeling than moving a man from Point A to Point B, against his will." #68

THANKS COACH GIBBS FOR EVERYTHING! YOUR THE MAN AND ALWAYS WILL BE!
skinsfan_nn is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 10-31-2007, 12:24 PM   #17
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacks42 View Post
What can it hurt? Is he going to bring down the locker room morale on offense, somehow I dont think that is possible. Our #1 WR Moss has less than 300 yds through 7 games.
What it hurts is you have to give up a roster spot for him. Considering that WR is not a huge need vs. other spots like OL and CB, this move would be dumb. He hasn't done anything in Detroit or Oakland, so it's doubtful he would have any impact here especially coming in at the middle of the season.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:45 PM   #18
Schneed10
A Dude

Horrible, horrible idea. Who in their right mind thinks we should pick this dude up?? Are you nuts????

If you want a reason why not, um, how bout production for starters. Point blank, they guy has done squat in this league. THERE'S A REASON FOR THAT. He sucks.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:57 PM   #19
SuperFan99
Camp Scrub

He's still worth bringing in for a looksee tryout . . .

Remember, the Lions kept Redskins great Mike Bass on the practice squad for 2 years and tried to make him a receiver . . .
SuperFan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 01:03 PM   #20
dgack
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Horrible, horrible idea. Who in their right mind thinks we should pick this dude up?? Are you nuts????

If you want a reason why not, um, how bout production for starters. Point blank, they guy has done squat in this league. THERE'S A REASON FOR THAT. He sucks.
Good point, I forgot how well our #1 and #3 WR are doing here this season.

BTW, the quality of analysis and conversation in this thread is truly worthy of applause.

We spent, what, 400+ posts debating Bill Belichick's class, but a 6'5", 230 receiver with a 38" vertical once called "college football's best receiver" by the press, who's failed to catch on with two of the NFL's worst franchises is on the street, and the mere suggestion that we could get him cheap is greeted with derision and name-calling.

Seriously, applause, guys. All around. Maybe I need to stick to topics that are a little less controversial. I'll be posting in the "if we just had an O-Line, everything would be perfect" thread from now on.

Quote:
Former USC Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback Carson Palmer: "Mike is a tremendous talent. He's real mature. He's the type of guy who makes quarterbacks look real good. I know that all I had to do was put it up there and he was going to go get it."
Quote:
Former USC quarterback Matt Leinart: "He's a great, great player. Big, fast, all the things. He makes big-time, big-time plays. He's such a natural, he phenomenal. He's confident. You know he's good, he knows he's good. He's got a real presence about him."
"To bring a Sherm Lewis in to a Jim Zorn and whoever his offensive coordinator is, it's like bringing in another man to help teach you how to make better love to your wife or something." -- Tre Johnson
dgack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 01:12 PM   #21
Stacks42
Impact Rookie

[quote=skinsfan_nn;371922]He's not OR never was a randy moss talent! Trashbag![/quote]

My point was.. Everyone said that R. Moss was done, he had lost a step. Well everyone was wrong. If given the right opportunity a player with great talent can excel in this league. Is there any doubt that M. Williams has talent, I doubt it. I think he lacks concentration, and motivation. With "the best coaches in the league" shouldnt we be able to get the the most out of this guy? At least a WR that is over 6 ft and under 30 wold be on our team, as a decoy if not a contributor. You can't debat the fact that beyond Moss and El, our WR is pretty mediocre.

And by the way, I hope that wasnt a personal insult.
Old 10-31-2007, 01:18 PM   #22
SuperFan99
Camp Scrub

I agree with the voice of look who he's played for! Lions are one of the most inept franchises of the past 50 years. They kept Redskin great Mike Bass on the practice squad for 2 years and tried to convert him to receiver.

Give the guy a tryout . . .
SuperFan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 01:19 PM   #23
dgack
The Starter

That's just CRAZY talk!

Besides, he's never done anything.

I mean, besides the 2500 yards and 30 TD's he caught in his first two years at USC, but who looks at college stats?
"To bring a Sherm Lewis in to a Jim Zorn and whoever his offensive coordinator is, it's like bringing in another man to help teach you how to make better love to your wife or something." -- Tre Johnson
Old 10-31-2007, 01:22 PM   #24
Sheriff Gonna Getcha
Franchise Player

What the hell happened since I last visited this thread? I think we should all chill. There's no need to get snappy with one another over this topic.
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 01:24 PM   #25
BleedBurgundy
Playmaker

You know, we do need a physical presence and he does provide that if nothing else. It's worth a look, nothing else...

Thomas Paine
BleedBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 01:25 PM   #26
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgack View Post
That's just CRAZY talk!

Besides, he's never done anything.

I mean, besides the 2500 yards and 30 TD's he caught in his first two years at USC, but who looks at college stats?
More importantly, who CARES about college stats? Explain exactly how those stats are relevant to a league where every CB is so fast that in order to beat him, your QB needs to get the ball out of his hands BEFORE you make your cut?

Williams is a HORRIBLE route runner. Yes he's big. Yes he has good hands. Yes, his speed is solid. But he has proven to be lazy in the NFL; his route-running has not improved one iota. Just like Brandon Lloyd, QBs simply can't count on him to be where he's supposed to be when running a route. In an Al Saunders system based on timing, Williams would be a disaster.

This isn't college. You can't simply go one-on-one like Palmer and Leinart say; you can't just toss the ball up and let him go get it, because safeties will get there. This is the NFL, where speed is paramount.

I didn't think this idea needed any serious analysis, because everybody and their brother knows that Mike Williams has been a disaster at the NFL level (coming to camp way out of shape in Detroit ring a bell??).

But anyway, there you have it, genuine thought. Now can we lock this thread down, because it has entered the realm of the retarded.
Old 10-31-2007, 01:26 PM   #27
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFan99 View Post
He's still worth bringing in for a looksee tryout . . .

Remember, the Lions kept Redskins great Mike Bass on the practice squad for 2 years and tried to make him a receiver . . .
Was there even a practice squad back then?
Old 10-31-2007, 01:33 PM   #28
BleedBurgundy
Playmaker

You know, we do need a physical presence and he does provide that if nothing else. It's worth a look, nothing else...

Thomas Paine
BleedBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 01:35 PM   #29
henry12portis26
Camp Scrub

he cant be much worse the Lloyd and his 2 catches
henry12portis26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 01:38 PM   #30
dgack
The Starter

Quote:
More importantly, who CARES about college stats? Explain exactly how those stats are relevant to a league where every CB is so fast that in order to beat him, your QB needs to get the ball out of his hands BEFORE you make your cut?

Williams is a HORRIBLE route runner. Yes he's big. Yes he has good hands. Yes, his speed is solid. But he has proven to be lazy in the NFL; his route-running has not improved one iota. Just like Brandon Lloyd, QBs simply can't count on him to be where he's supposed to be when running a route. In an Al Saunders system based on timing, Williams would be a disaster.
This is a good argument, because our "burners" and precise route runners are currently rocking the house in the Al Saunders system based on timing.

Quote:
This isn't college. You can't simply go one-on-one like Palmer and Leinart say; you can't just toss the ball up and let him go get it, because safeties will get there. This is the NFL, where speed is paramount.
Another good argument. It's true that the small, fast receiver has really taken the NFL by storm and tall, strong receivers don't succeed at hauling down jump balls anymore.

Quote:
I didn't think this idea needed any serious analysis, because everybody and their brother knows that Mike Williams has been a disaster at the NFL level (coming to camp way out of shape in Detroit ring a bell??).
Agreed. Detroit and Oakland have some of the better player development records in the league and they are the finer examples of barometers of whether someone can make it in the NFL or not.

Quote:
But anyway, there you have it, genuine thought. Now can we lock this thread down, because it has entered the realm of the retarded.
I'm truly sorry it didn't meet your expectations. All of us who posted in it will try harder next time to be better fans.