Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Sally J.'s latest is spot on

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 10-01-2009, 09:20 AM   #1
freddyg12
Playmaker

Sally J.'s latest is spot on

Searched elsewhere for this on the wp & almost put it in an existing thread ("Lavar's twitter" led to discussion of our owner).

But I felt it was such a strong & well written article that it had to stand alone. I know a lot of us have been unhappy w/Sally Jenkins over the years, but based on my limited knowledge as only a fan, I really find it hard to disagree w/most of what she says. I've always felt the biggest difference between JJ & DS was that Jerry is at least accessible to the public & makes himself somewhat accountable.

Here's the link:

washingtonpost.com
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 10-01-2009, 09:37 AM   #2
MonkFan4Life
The Starter

Re: Sally J.'s latest is spot on

Now what i don't understand is how can people ask for Danny to get out of the spotlight but then complain when he does exactly that ? The whole shaking of the hands thing is kinda blow but I mean if you want the guy to stay in the shadows why ask for him to come out.

http://www.youtube.com/user/DowntimeRB?feature=mhw5

The "punishment" by the league : "It's like getting a ticket for going too fast on a road a week ago and they changed the speed limit today"
MonkFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 09:52 AM   #3
freddyg12
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkFan4Life View Post
Now what i don't understand is how can people ask for Danny to get out of the spotlight but then complain when he does exactly that ? The whole shaking of the hands thing is kinda blow but I mean if you want the guy to stay in the shadows why ask for him to come out.
I think that's what you're misinterpreting from the article; she (and others) are not saying DS should "get out of the spotlight" because he's not in it. Rather, he's behind the scenes & very involved in the team's direction. For someone w/that much involvement & impact (of course, he is the owner), he does little to nothing in conveying a sense of responsibility to the public. Instead, he lets others take the blame, even though he may be the greatest source of the problems.
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 09:57 AM   #4
mredskins
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddyg12 View Post
I think that's what you're misinterpreting from the article; she (and others) are not saying DS should "get out of the spotlight" because he's not in it. Rather, he's behind the scenes & very involved in the team's direction. For someone w/that much involvement & impact (of course, he is the owner), he does little to nothing in conveying a sense of responsibility to the public. Instead, he lets others take the blame, even though he may be the greatest source of the problems.

That is what happens when you have all the money!
Old 10-01-2009, 10:00 AM   #5
MonkFan4Life
The Starter

Well just say that he really isn't meddling now. We know that he did before but if he's allowing Vinny to run things, and allowing the coaches to do what they want to do why blame him ? Or is it because we cannot believe anything that the man says because that is the go to excuse/reason for things going bad here ? Because in all honesty, if he meddled as much as everyone said that he did don't you think that we would have Sanchez ? Would Jason even be in the starting lineup ? So many things would be different if Snyder was the meddler that he is made out to be IMO. And his responsibility to the public. Really ? Do you think that he doesn't want to put out a winning product on the field ?

The "punishment" by the league : "It's like getting a ticket for going too fast on a road a week ago and they changed the speed limit today"
Old 10-01-2009, 10:05 AM   #6
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

embrace the hate.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 10:12 AM   #7
Pocket$ $traight

In 2005 Sally definitely had an axe to grind. Every time they suffered a tough loss she wrote a column and then dissappeared after they made their run but I think her last several Redskins related articles have been spot on.
Pocket$ $traight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 10:15 AM   #8
hooskins
Most Interesting Man in the World

She is spot on, but everyone has been saying this for the last 5-6 years. This is not breaking news anyone, move on along.

She does have an axe to grind, and notice how she jumps on the opportunity to write a negative Skins article which backs her original argument. She has very little to say when we do well, and alot when we are struggling. I am sick of her, and what she is saying isn't rocket science. Any Skins fan knows that.

F you Sally
Old 10-01-2009, 10:16 AM   #9
MonkFan4Life
The Starter

How so ? If it was just grinding an axe, before how is it spot on now ?

Old 10-01-2009, 10:17 AM   #10
Westover
Camp Scrub

This article is indeed spot on. The owner's role is to hire the right people and then let them do their jobs without undue interference. That's what Jack Kent Cooke did.

As fans we can defend Snyder and the management, and always question those who challenge the status quo with the team, or we can exercise our voice to demand changes. Enough public outrage does effect them. They stopped the lawsuit against the grandmother they had forced into bankruptcy over the tickets, for example, thanks to public pressure.

We have to demand a real general manager, first and foremost, someone who is given the freedom to do their job, if we want positive changes.
Westover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 10:17 AM   #11
MonkFan4Life
The Starter

I wish I had Old Danny that made Sally and everyone else act the way that they do now during the offseason because then I'd probably be a happy camper.

Old 10-01-2009, 10:18 AM   #12
Pocket$ $traight

Quote:
How so ? If it was just grinding an axe, before how is it spot on now ?
Because in 2005 (which was 4 years ago) she was hyper-critical even though they were doing some good things. I see her commentary now as much more facts based and also we have more history to judge the shortcomings of the front office.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:19 AM   #13
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

Sally is the queen of negativity and the master of the obvious mostly so it's not hard to be spot on in this instance.

I'm not dead but this team is dead to me...but now that McCloughan is here they may have new life!

Jay Gruden = Zorny McSpurrier
Kirk Cousins = Next Grossman
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 10:19 AM   #14
Pocket$ $traight

Quote:
He has never been in the spotlight. I think people want him out of the football decision making which he has refused to do minus the Marty year.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:20 AM   #15
Pocket$ $traight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain View Post
Sally is the queen of negativity and the master of the obvious mostly so it's not hard to be spot on in this instance.

And our mediocre franchise is right in her sweetspot.