Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Reasons for drafting Sanchez

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 04-24-2009, 10:09 AM   #16
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

Re: Reasons for drafting Sanchez

Listening to endless hours of this stuff....but this might have some truth. "Sources" out at the park say they are disappointed in JC's ability to extend plays, "make things happen", but MOSTLY his lack of leadership. AND do not believe that will change...
They believe that ALL these things are strong in Sanchez
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-24-2009, 10:15 AM   #17
Soup's Uncle
Special Teams

That's one thing I don't trust though. For all we know, a "source" could be a dude who empties the trash and could email Jason La Confora (who sucks).

Incorrect Wade...the Burgundy and Gold just ran all over you.
Soup's Uncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 10:20 AM   #18
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog1 View Post
Listening to endless hours of this stuff....but this might have some truth. "Sources" out at the park say they are disappointed in JC's ability to extend plays, "make things happen", but MOSTLY his lack of leadership. AND do not believe that will change...
They believe that ALL these things are strong in Sanchez
Yup. It's like I've been telling you guys for several weeks now. The general feeling inisde Redskin Park "We all like Jason. He's a good guy and a solid QB that we can win with, but we're not sure we can win because of him. And when we have injuries, etc. like we did last season we need a QB who can carry us over those types of obstacles. We're not convinced Jason is that guy."

I can see that, certainly. I'm not totally convinced that Sanchez is that guy either though. But he definitely carries intangible qualities that Campbell seems to lack.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:22 AM   #19
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

It's really cliche, but Sanchez has the 'look' of an NFL star QB. He's got the swagger, he's got the poise, he's polished, he went to the big time college program, played on the big stage, performed well under that pressure. Campbell, as big a fan of his as I am, always seems like the awkward kid picked by his group to speak in front of the class.

As for a pure football analysis, despite Sanchez's 'inexperience'-which I think is overblown-he's got excellent mechanics, balance and his decision making appears to be outstanding. He doesn't have the rocket but his arm is adequate to adequate-plus. He can make the necessary throws and isn't afraid to take chances when needed. I don't think he's going to have the same learning curve that a lot of rookie QB will have only because he's had experience in a pro-style offense before and if we get him, he's not coming to a terrible supporting cast around him.

I'm not supporting this move, but if we make it, get him signed and into Redskins Park immediately because our future is tied to him for at least the next 5 years. The one upside of this move is this would be a Snyder driven pick so he's going to get much more leeway than any of the previous QB we've drafted this decade.

I'm not dead but this team is dead to me...but now that McCloughan is here they may have new life!

Jay Gruden = Zorny McSpurrier
Kirk Cousins = Next Grossman
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 10:28 AM   #20
AuburnRedskin
Camp Scrub

#1 Reason - We are no longer interested in competing for on-the-field championships...only offseason wins and championships
AuburnRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 10:36 AM   #21
Soup's Uncle
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnRedskin View Post
#1 Reason - We are no longer interested in competing for on-the-field championships...only offseason wins and championships
Are your initials JC?

Incorrect Wade...the Burgundy and Gold just ran all over you.
Soup's Uncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 11:01 AM   #22
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
I think we've heard enough about why we shouldn't draft Sanchez, so now I want to hear some reasons why we should draft Sanchez. I'm not saying I'm in favor of it or behind the move, I just want to hear some logical and rational reasons for taking him and shipping JC out of here.

From the little I know about Sanchez he appears to be more of a true gunslinger and definitely a more vocal leader. It looks like he throws on the run pretty well, he doesn't have a cannon arm but he looks like he can certainly make all the throws, and he's played in a pro style offense at USC. Experts say he has sound mechanics and fundamentals and is very coachable. Plus he's very accurate and makes good decisions.

What are your thoughts?
I can't think of any reason to give up a draft pick or picks to draft him. Not one. Not for this team. Our Qb situation is solid. We've got a young guy, an older guy and JC going into his 5th year. I watched 5-6 USC games. Sanchez is a good system QB, but not a guy who can carry an offense. He doesn't have Jay Culter skills...that's for sure. He doesn't even have better physical skills than Campbell. He's just more of a vocal leader, impresses people in interviews and is getting a ton of hype from Trent Dilfer. Did Dilfer watch the Oregon State game????
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 11:09 AM   #23
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
I think we've heard enough about why we shouldn't draft Sanchez, so now I want to hear some reasons why we should draft Sanchez. I'm not saying I'm in favor of it or behind the move, I just want to hear some logical and rational reasons for taking him and shipping JC out of here.

From the little I know about Sanchez he appears to be more of a true gunslinger and definitely a more vocal leader. It looks like he throws on the run pretty well, he doesn't have a cannon arm but he looks like he can certainly make all the throws, and he's played in a pro style offense at USC. Experts say he has sound mechanics and fundamentals and is very coachable. Plus he's very accurate and makes good decisions.

What are your thoughts?
You have a comment under your name saying "f it draft sanchez". You're not in favor of it?

I LOVE his infectious attitude. He's always happy and willing to get others pumped up to play. Of course, this is great in college, but doubt it works that well in the pros. Still a great attitude will do well no matter what. He has the best attitude I have seen through all the qbs available. He would CERTAINLY become the face of the Redskins.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:15 AM   #24
53Fan
Franchise Player

The only reason for drafting him that I can think of is, he is supposedly well suited for Zorns type of offense. Goes through his reads well, throws on the run well etc. I just wonder if he hasn't done as good a job of marketing himself as Brian Bosworth and Tony Mandarich. He hasn't done that much really and there seems to be more hype on potential than substance.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:53 AM   #25
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
You have a comment under your name saying "f it draft sanchez". You're not in favor of it?
I've accepted it seems inevitable, I'm just saying F it, put us out of our misery already. It's not like we have any control.
Old 04-24-2009, 12:10 PM   #26
Son Of Man
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMalcolmConnection View Post
Anybody here actually watch all the USC games and not just Sanchez highlights?

It's beyond me that this hype machine has moved him up as much as it has...
As a Nittany Lions fan I watched in complete disgust as he torched us in the Rose Bowl. I also watched when he shredded Ohio State. This kid can flat out play and he has one key ingredient that JC17 doesn't.....LEADERSHIP!!!

Campbell is a nice guy, I like him, I have his jersey....Draft Sanchez anyway!
Son Of Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 12:16 PM   #27
mredskins
MVP

Wasn't Matt Lienart more celebrated coming out USC and he sucks. I just don't want t have to start all over at QB and have gaping holes in other areas. This is a mess.
Old 04-24-2009, 12:16 PM   #28
The Goat
Pro Bowl

I don't think it has anything to do w/ Sanchez per se...i mean Snyder's behavior here. Snyder went coo-coo for cutler, a very different kind of QB from Sanchez, and when that didn't work he just moved on the new sweatheart. This is about Snyder not wanting JC IMO, not about what Sanchez or whoever else brings to the table.

...so i guess my point is it's only silly speculation what reasons there are to drafting Sanchez, because it doesn't appear to have anything to do w/ him in the first place.
Old 04-24-2009, 12:19 PM   #29
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

So much of this Sanchez talk is almost identical to five years ago...Why are we giving up draft picks for Campbell when we've already got Ramsey? If Campbell is gone, as a Redskins fan I can only hope he finds the same success in the league as Ramsey has.
Old 04-24-2009, 12:20 PM   #30
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
I can't think of any reason to give up a draft pick or picks to draft him. Not one. Not for this team. Our Qb situation is solid. We've got a young guy, an older guy and JC going into his 5th year. I watched 5-6 USC games. Sanchez is a good system QB, but not a guy who can carry an offense. He doesn't have Jay Culter skills...that's for sure. He doesn't even have better physical skills than Campbell. He's just more of a vocal leader, impresses people in interviews and is getting a ton of hype from Trent Dilfer. Did Dilfer watch the Oregon State game????
Not to defend Sanchez, but to call him a system QB is an endorsement to draft him since the system he was in is similar to our system so by your logic he will be effective.

Judging someone solely on their worst game is no more responsible than judging them solely on their best game.

I'm not dead but this team is dead to me...but now that McCloughan is here they may have new life!

Jay Gruden = Zorny McSpurrier
Kirk Cousins = Next Grossman
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote