Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Other Sports

"There is no fan base more loyal than NASCAR's"

Other Sports

Old 02-04-2009, 04:50 PM   #1
WaldSkins
Playmaker

"There is no fan base more loyal than NASCAR's"

Racing's Gibbs finds precious backing in Jackson | clarionledger.com | The Clarion-Ledger

Does anyone agree with what Gibbs says in regards to Nascar. I figured he'd have a little more love for the redskins then Nascar.

Redskin Nation is the most Loyal franchise in all the land.

Advertisements
Old 02-04-2009, 04:52 PM   #2
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Re: "There is no fan base more loyal than NASCAR's"

Gibbs has always been more passionate about NASCAR than the Redskins

(thinking of moving this to the Other Sports forum by the way)
Old 02-04-2009, 04:54 PM   #3
WaldSkins
Playmaker

He wouldn't be able to support his race team if it wasn't for the help of us Redskin fans pouring money into the franchise.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:55 PM   #4
WaldSkins
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Gibbs has always been more passionate about NASCAR than the Redskins

(thinking of moving this to the Other Sports forum by the way)

Do it up
Old 02-04-2009, 05:16 PM   #5
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldSkins View Post
He wouldn't be able to support his race team if it wasn't for the help of us Redskin fans pouring money into the franchise.
Yeah, I'm not sure I'd agree with that
Old 02-04-2009, 08:51 PM   #6
rypper11
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldSkins View Post
Racing's Gibbs finds precious backing in Jackson | clarionledger.com | The Clarion-Ledger

Does anyone agree with what Gibbs says in regards to Nascar. I figured he'd have a little more love for the redskins then Nascar.

Redskin Nation is the most Loyal franchise in all the land.
It's a different kind of loyalty.

"NASCAR has a 10-month season with 36 nationally televised races," Gibbs said. "There is no fan base more loyal than NASCAR's. Racing sponsorships are like anything else. The sponsors aren't going to be there unless they are getting their value back. I believe this will be a great partnership."

I am a die-hard Skins fan but couldn't tell you the "official" soda, insurance company or candy of the team. By contrast, in NASCAR, fans will buy a product or service if they are on their favorite driver's car. From a marketing standpoint, Gibbs is completely correct. I know people that will buy only from Home Depot and never Lowe's just because they are Stewart fans.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:52 PM   #7
EternalEnigma21
Assistant Regional Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypper11 View Post

I am a die-hard Skins fan but couldn't tell you the "official" soda, insurance company or candy of the team. By contrast, in NASCAR, fans will buy a product or service if they are on their favorite driver's car. From a marketing standpoint, Gibbs is completely correct. I know people that will buy only from Home Depot and never Lowe's just because they are Stewart fans.

Well, Popeye's is the official chicken, and Harris Teeter is the official grocery store. I think Eastern's is the official car dealership and I'm pretty sure FedEx has to be the official courier. I would imagine if I really thought about it I could think of some other things, too.

Here's the deal, though... I had the privilege of growing up in a poor part of Southeast Texas. The further in the sticks you went, the more likely you were to come accross people lacking intelligence. Those people weren't exactly bangin doctors so their kids were morons too. These tend to be the people heavily influenced by marketing.

I'm not saying that all nascar fans are morons, by any means, but I believe it is a sport that appeals greatly to rural people. There are more people in rural america that buy into marketing than in the cities. People in the cities are inandated with advertiesements and they are nothing new, and they are quick to brush off savvy marketing campaigns. However, you throw a flashy enough commercial at a trailer park block party, showing a dodge truck running through fire, for example, and there will be new dodge sitting in front of a trailer (worth half the truck's value) within a week.

I guess I'm not trying to completely generalize people here, because I have friends and family living right now in tralier parks, and know some really good people, and some really smart people in the country. Hell I live about 6 miles away from a small redneck town myself (and admittedly I'm not all that smart). I'm just saying its my experience that the dumber people are the more likely they are to be influenced by other people or advertising, adn for some reason nascar really appeals to dumb people. Not just to dumb people, I try to watch it from time to time, but yes... a lot of 'tardo's I know are nascar nuts.

wow that was a lot of typing. I need a job because I am drunk on a wednesday night and rambling about nascar marketing to nobody. happy wednesday warpath!