Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

"A Lot of These Guys Don't Want It"

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-28-2009, 12:18 PM   #61
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

Re: "A Lot of These Guys Don't Want It"

Zorn has to learn how to let go of things...the play calling first and foremost. He's wearing way too many hats for a first time head coach who is 3-8 in his last 11, and still coaching as if he's 6-2 like he started. And while the Lions were eventually going to win 1, the Skins blew too many opportunities to take the pace and tempo over. While the Lions played perfect ball in the 1st half and exploited the Skins weak showing, they made mistakes in the 2nd half that the Skins did not capitalize on.

I think if it hasn't happened already, the locker room and the front office is losing faith and support for Zorn. He is going to have to do something in order for these guys to stop mailing it in.

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-28-2009, 12:23 PM   #62
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDBohnzie View Post
Zorn has to learn how to let go of things...the play calling first and foremost. He's wearing way too many hats for a first time head coach who is 3-8 in his last 11, and still coaching as if he's 6-2 like he started. And while the Lions were eventually going to win 1, the Skins blew too many opportunities to take the pace and tempo over. While the Lions played perfect ball in the 1st half and exploited the Skins weak showing, they made mistakes in the 2nd half that the Skins did not capitalize on.

I think if it hasn't happened already, the locker room and the front office is losing faith and support for Zorn. He is going to have to do something in order for these guys to stop mailing it in.
I think it's safe to say he's too emotionally caught up in the RZ struggles right now and it's impacting his play calling and decision making.

I know he wanted to make an early statement by going for it on 4th down, but he should have taken the 3 as bitter of a pill that would have been to swallow, it's something he needed to do.

Also, he should have declined the penalty and made the Lions kick the FG. Think it would have been a 49 yarder, not exactly a chip shot. Instead the Lions got the first down and it was a big momentum changer with the TD.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:33 PM   #63
KLHJ2
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
I think it's safe to say he's too emotionally caught up in the RZ struggles right now and it's impacting his play calling and decision making.

I know he wanted to make an early statement by going for it on 4th down, but he should have taken the 3 as bitter of a pill that would have been to swallow, it's something he needed to do.

Also, he should have declined the penalty and made the Lions kick the FG. Think it would have been a 49 yarder, not exactly a chip shot. Instead the Lions got the first down and it was a big momentum changer with the TD.
I absolutely agree, I was saying the same thing yesterday afternoon. I know that we are struggling in the redzone, but let's take any points we can get. Work harder on scoring on 1st and 2nd down in the redzone. Leave fourth down for the almost automatic points.

I prefer trading a down for distance in most situations. I cant stand giving guys extra chances to succeed.
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 12:42 PM   #64
irish
Playmaker

Quote:

I think Zorn has too much confidence in his players. He believed in his O line enough to think they could get 1 yard against a bad team when he asked them but they couldnt so he asked his D to stop the Lions at somepoint on a 99 yd drive but they couldnt. Zorn was making a statement and it was a statement that he believed in his players, unfortunately his belief was misplaced.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 12:55 PM   #65
freddyg12
Playmaker

Quote:

The 4th & I; maybe he should've kicked. I don't have a problem w/going for it, but I said to my wife "don't run portis left!" Of course, that's what they did, just as they did v. the Rams twice on 4th & 1 last week.

I totally agreed w/the 3rd down penalty, so did B. Billick. The Skins D should be able to stop a rookie qb on 3rd & 13. They did a great job in coverage, but couldn't get to the qb. Still, I think that was the absolute right call.
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 01:01 PM   #66
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddyg12 View Post
The 4th & I; maybe he should've kicked. I don't have a problem w/going for it, but I said to my wife "don't run portis left!" Of course, that's what they did, just as they did v. the Rams twice on 4th & 1 last week.

I totally agreed w/the 3rd down penalty, so did B. Billick. The Skins D should be able to stop a rookie qb on 3rd & 13. They did a great job in coverage, but couldn't get to the qb. Still, I think that was the absolute right call.
This is where I think that Zorn lacks the brains or guts to be an NFL head coach. What do we know about the Redskins running game? That we are a stretch left based running game. That's what we want to do when we're up against it. 4th and 1, we go bulk personnel and we do exactly what the scouting report says we will, with predictable results. The play SHOULD have been fake stretch left, QB boot.

The bootleg (to the wide side of the field no less) was WIDE OPEN. The backside CB crashed down so even if there was only 1 TE in the pattern, we would have had either Campbell walking into the end zone or an easy toss to the TE. If I can figure that out from my easy chair, why can't Zorn figure it out from the sidelines?

It's that denseness/arrogance/idiocy that will ultimately get him fired.

I'm not dead but this team is dead to me...but now that McCloughan is here they may have new life!

Jay Gruden = Zorny McSpurrier
Kirk Cousins = Next Grossman
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 01:18 PM   #67
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain View Post
This is where I think that Zorn lacks the brains or guts to be an NFL head coach. What do we know about the Redskins running game? That we are a stretch left based running game. That's what we want to do when we're up against it. 4th and 1, we go bulk personnel and we do exactly what the scouting report says we will, with predictable results. The play SHOULD have been fake stretch left, QB boot.

The bootleg (to the wide side of the field no less) was WIDE OPEN. The backside CB crashed down so even if there was only 1 TE in the pattern, we would have had either Campbell walking into the end zone or an easy toss to the TE. If I can figure that out from my easy chair, why can't Zorn figure it out from the sidelines?

It's that denseness/arrogance/idiocy that will ultimately get him fired.
I don't know. It's game three, and last year for the first 11 weeks or so, we could get that same yard whenever the hell we wanted it.

At this point, I would say we're probably not going to be able to pound for that yard whenever we want to get it, but the notion that we should be able to get a yard on the GL by keeping it simple can't be understated.

Of course, if it ain't true, it ain't true. Then you have to show the defense something alternative.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:06 PM   #68
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddyg12 View Post

I don't put much stock in what Billick says the guy can't even get names right. Also, I think Billick is a little too soft when it comes to calling out guys. If you took everything he said to heart yesterday you would think nobody did anything wrong all day.

I just don't see the need to give an offense the opportunity to extend a drive. 3rd and 13 isn't that horrible of a situation to be in.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:20 PM   #69
Twilbert07
Impact Rookie

Quote:
I don't put much stock in what Billick says the guy can't even get names right. Also, I think Billick is a little too soft when it comes to calling out guys. If you took everything he said to heart yesterday you would think nobody did anything wrong all day.

I just don't see the need to give an offense the opportunity to extend a drive. 3rd and 13 isn't that horrible of a situation to be in.
Billick initially said Zorn did the wrong thing, and then Billick quickly changed his mind. The worst part about it is that the ref who made the call looked to the Skins' bench and made the "decline" signal, but of course zany Zorn took the penalty instead. The way the Lions were moving the ball on that drive, you make them kick the FG.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:25 PM   #70
GoSkins!
The Starter

Quote:

Two major screw ups that I think cost him the players confidence during that game.

First - at least in the first 3 quarters, always take the points if it gives you the lead. You had three plays to get in the end zone. You didn't. You couldn't last week. You couldn't this week. Show us you can learn something yourself.

Second - make the other team earn it. 13 yards is a make-able 3rd down. The penalty moved then back from the 33 to 42 yard line. This gives them another shot and the way our defense plays, we are defending the 1st yard marker so any short dump off could have potentially put them back in FG range anyway. Defense may be a little tired now after being kept on the field for a 66 yard drive. To much downside to give them another shot.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:36 PM   #71
53Fan
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
I think Zorn has too much confidence in his players. He believed in his O line enough to think they could get 1 yard against a bad team when he asked them but they couldnt so he asked his D to stop the Lions at somepoint on a 99 yd drive but they couldnt. Zorn was making a statement and it was a statement that he believed in his players, unfortunately his belief was misplaced.
I agree. It's pretty sad if a HC doesn't have enough confidence in his o-line to get 1 yard, and if you can't stop a team from driving the field that's starting from it's own 1 yard line, well..that's just as sad. How many other 99 yard drives has Detroit had this year? I sure as hell didn't expect it. Had no reason to.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:52 PM   #72
Trample the Elderly
Playmaker

I got what I wanted, free toppings baby! Yeah!
Old 09-28-2009, 03:56 PM   #73
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trample the Elderly View Post
I was a sad panda after the Rams game.

I've been a part of this message board for 17 years. Damn I'm old.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 04:13 PM   #74
KLHJ2
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trample the Elderly View Post
That was the only highlight of yesterday.

BTW, it Should Read GySgt. R. Lee Ermy
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 04:22 PM   #75
Trample the Elderly
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry View Post
That was the only highlight of yesterday.

BTW, it Should Read GySgt. R. Lee Ermy
He didn't play himself in the movie.