Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

R. Bauman

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 02-24-2004, 07:34 AM   #1
backrow
The Starter

R. Bauman

R. Bauman, is he good enough to replace Champ Bailey or not? I hear he is 5'9". I believe he had a couple of picks this past year. Can anyone confirm, deny, or add to his bio?

Advertisements
Old 02-24-2004, 07:43 AM   #2
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Bauman is good, but we need to pick up another top tier corner, in my opinion. As long as we can afford it I'd love to see Winfield here. Bauman is really fast but kinda small which is my biggest worry. I do like the guy for nickle situations.
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 08:09 AM   #3
sportscurmudgeon
Playmaker

backrow:

Can Bauman replace Champ? If you mean, can Bauman start and not be an embarrassment at CB, the answer is yes. He showed enough last year that he belongs in the NFL and he can play CB.

If you mean, can he step in next year and play at the level Champ has been playing, the answer is no. I don't think Bauman can play at Smoots' level either.

Bauman for Bailey is a step down for the defense. But it is not a disastrous step down. Ade Jimoh would be a disastrous step down.
sportscurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 08:30 AM   #4
AnonEmouse
The Starter

Depends on Jimoh's offseason. IF he's been working out and working on what let him down last year, he might be a top nickelback for us. I agree he isn't starter material, but the coaches (OK maybe last years weren't the best judge of talent...) seemed to see something in him to make it worth keeping him.

I still say pick up a good FA and really work on getting a quality DL to take the pressure of the secondary. I think Ohalete and Bowen aren't as bad as many seemed to think - they got a lot put on them by a lack of pass rush.
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 09:18 AM   #5
MTK
\m/

Bauman performed well in the nickel, but I'm not sure if he's ready to make the leap to the #2 corner. I guess we'll wait and see what Gibbs and co. think.
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 11:20 AM   #6
AnonEmouse
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72
Bauman performed well in the nickel, but I'm not sure if he's ready to make the leap to the #2 corner. I guess we'll wait and see what Gibbs and co. think.
Agreed. I think with Smoot and Bauman we end up with 2 #2 corners.
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 12:15 PM   #7
memphisskin
Impact Rookie

I think Smoot is a fine corner, probably a 1A corner, maybe he can make the leap to become the shut down corner he was advertised to be. I think he has the confidence and the ability, now he just has to do it on the field.

Jimoh, must mean "Throw Here" in some other language. But he can't help but improve. I say go safety and Sean Taylor at five, at least that will help cover up some uneven cornerback play.
memphisskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 04:37 PM   #8
Defensewins
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphisskin
......I say go safety and Sean Taylor at five, at least that will help cover up some uneven cornerback play.
Taylor may be a more immeadiate help than any DL we can draft. Taylor can start for us tomorrow. Tommy Harris, Udeze and company will need time to develop. Higher ranked and more talented D-lineman that were drafted last year struggled early this last season....the Jets rookie D-lineman comes to mind. Any rookie DL we draft will not be able to come in and be a full time starter.
Also, if Champ is traded, a new CB will be needed. Bauman is good nickle back, but not a dependable starter.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 06:15 PM   #9
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Yeah, I think Taylor is the obvious choice if he's on the board. I like D-Line through Free Agency, as long as they aren't 50 when they arrive!
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 06:28 PM   #10
azskinsfan2
Special Teams

Bauman is definitely not ready to step right into Champs shoes but who would be? At least we still have Smoot and he's been showing some real leadership abilities and if we trade Champ we'll really need that. D. Green I believe was only 5'8" too but had world class speed. Who knows???? Iffey I think will end up being a great safety though!!!!! But I do think we need to look for a good corner to replace Champ.
azskinsfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 07:23 PM   #11
drew54
The Starter

I think we need to start developing CB's like the Eagles do and hanging on to them because they were late round picks and then dumping them off to the Packers(Al Harris anyone?) when their contract is due.

Bauman is not the answer.
drew54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 11:41 PM   #12
skins009
Impact Rookie

Defensewins you made a good point about d-linemen, they usually do take a year to develope. But I think the year wait is worth is if you get a stud. In my opnion though I think we should draft Shawn Tayler, the guy is gonna redefine the position. Just look at what Roy Williams does for the dallas defense. Tayler is better than williams too.
skins009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 03:58 PM   #13
cpayne5
Playmaker

Given the right schemes, we can have a good cover defense with Bauman and Smoot back there. Having Sean Taylor would definitely help the situation, too.
cpayne5 is offline   Reply With Quote