Locker Room Main Forum

Old 05-17-2014, 10:11 PM   #91
Irrefutable
The Starter

Re: Reaction to Draft: exceeds, meets, or meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucket View Post
Making a call right now.

If Orakpo gets hurt this year. He will NEVER win his job back from Murphy. The guy is going to be great. I don't make predictions very often, but this is one I will make.
reportedly Murphy played well in mini-camp

Last edited by Irrefutable; 05-17-2014 at 10:27 PM.
Irrefutable is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 05-17-2014, 11:09 PM   #92
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Maybe not this year. But in the 2nd and 3rd years? Absolutely. I think ILB is a weakness and was one of the reasons the defense stunk.
A 7th round pick? Really?
Old 05-17-2014, 11:46 PM   #93
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Off topic but I really liked Cleveland's draft, they will surprise some folks next season
Old 05-18-2014, 01:37 AM   #94
SirLK26
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
Off topic but I really liked Cleveland's draft, they will surprise some folks next season
I thought Arizona did a nice job as well...for the second year in a row.

San Diego had a good draft too.
SirLK26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 09:36 AM   #95
backrow
The Starter

I've been checking different sources for our draft grades. I'm not an ESPN insider, so I wasn't able to see that one. On the three I could see, there was a B, C+, and a D. You can name them if you like, but no one is an expert at seeing the future. On Thewarpath.net, you've probably got as good, or better assessment as anywhere else. With the new coaching staff, there is no way to predict how our newbies are going to stack up. The puzzle for me is I couldn't tell you anything about any draft picks or udfas beforehand. I only know what is written about them, and of course news from camps. I only follow 2 college fb teams, and that limits my exposure to potential pro players and I have a limited number of brain cells to spare.
Old 05-18-2014, 12:45 PM   #96
Bangee7
Impact Rookie

the more I hear and think about the draft, the higher grade I want to give it. I remember the old days when the 'skins would always had bodies stashed away on IR for a year or two to let them develop.

I know this is a real-time, always connected world, but I still think the bets way to build a winner is to address glaring needs in FA & build depth/up-and-comers through the draft.

I think that's exactly what we're witnessing.

'Skins are off to a good start toward that long term winner that we've all been waiting for.
Bangee7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 03:12 PM   #97
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Maybe not this year. But in the 2nd and 3rd years? Absolutely. I think ILB is a weakness and was one of the reasons the defense stunk.
LOL.

No. Not unless that 7th rounder is a 1st round talent who's dropped due to off-field or health concerns.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 01:42 AM   #98
SirLK26
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
LOL.

No. Not unless that 7th rounder is a 1st round talent who's dropped due to off-field or health concerns.
Shayne Skov had a knee injury in 2011 that limited his effectiveness in the last two seasons, for sure in 2012. At Sanford's pro day, an injured hamstring contributed to his poor 40 yard time. To say that Skov could come here and compete for a starting job a few years down the road isn't ridiculous at all. To write him off as merely a "7th rounder" or a "7th round pick", as if that's all he would have been and as if he's immediately a scrub just because no one drafted him, is ridiculous. Now, I'm not saying that NFL scouts don't know as much as I do, but I am saying that injuries played a big role in his fall.

I don't know if you've watched the guy play or not, and I hope none of the following applies to you, but his game is not represented well by a 40 yard dash in shorts, the same as any other prospect. Workouts at pro days and the Combine just add a little bit to the puzzle that is the draft; in no way should they be taken as seriously as some fans take them. Watch him play, then check out his workout numbers. If anybody thinks a poor workout negates anything a player does on the field, they have an incorrect way of looking at it.

Last edited by SirLK26; 05-19-2014 at 02:05 PM.
SirLK26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 06:01 PM   #99
warriorzpath

Solid B draft. Could be an A draft depending on the potential and expectations they meet or exceed.

They picked up 2 players that they already seem to like in Murphy and Spencer Long. And they should contribute one way or another in year one. They are hopeful in 2 players that could develop into major starters/contributors - Moses and Seastrunk. Ryan Grant was already described by Gruden as looking like a 10 year vet in certain aspects of his route running in rookie minicamp. Corner Breeland has the physical tools and attitude to be competitive and at the very least will contribute on special teams. Even the kicker in the 7th round will be given every opportunity to challenge Kai Forbaith for his spot.

And some of the UDFAs may make the roster and also contribute. I'm especially interested with the NTs/DTs and DBs.

So this draft will not be a bust by any means. This seemed to be a blue collar draft that picked up several role players that will contribute with the potential to be impact players. This is the draft that the Redskins have needed for awhile.
warriorzpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 08:08 PM   #100
warriorzpath

... a lot of these draft picks and UDFAs will replace several underperformers and players who were just completely overwhelmed on the NFL level last season. And just a thought - Orakpo, you can learn a lot from Trent Murphy on "proving" yourself and not being complacent.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:27 AM   #101
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorzpath View Post
... a lot of these draft picks and UDFAs will replace several underperformers and players who were just completely overwhelmed on the NFL level last season. And just a thought - Orakpo, you can learn a lot from Trent Murphy on "proving" yourself and not being complacent.
Rak hasn't proved himself?
Old 05-20-2014, 08:36 AM   #102
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

look at me sitting here as only a 9 sack a year guy........boy is my face red
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 08:36 AM   #103
Gary84Clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Yet on the same token Kirk cousins has proven he is an NFL caliber starter. lol !!!!!!!
Gary84Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 08:39 AM   #104
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary84Clark View Post
Yet on the same token Kirk cousins has proven he is an NFL caliber starter. lol !!!!!!!
Enough crazy train for one stop please
Old 05-20-2014, 09:24 AM   #105
warriorzpath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
It's not really a judgement call to debate. It's more about his attitude when he said it (not having to prove anything). A true competitor is always driven by "proving" themselves to try to be the best. Orakpo is good, but he always had the potential to be much greater.