Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

NFL Referee Problem

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 10-15-2019, 08:42 AM   #1
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

NFL Referee Problem

Well the refs cost the Lions the game last night. Every game I watch there seems to be bad calls sometimes in a “rolling” effect where multiple flags are strung together. What can be done? It’s a terrible look for the game

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 08:44 AM   #2
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Re: NFL Referee Problem

The NFL has some serious issues with the Refs, it's to the point where former players are questioning the integrity of the league.
Old 10-15-2019, 08:52 AM   #3
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

They’ve cost a lot of games, NFL referees the last couple of years have been horrendous. When you have Tom Brady and Barry Sanders complaining while watching as fans, then there’s a problem.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 08:56 AM   #4
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Yeah this year it's getting unwatchable. Getting full time referees was supposed to help but these guys are absolutes flaggators...
I don't think they're trying to rig games or anything, but they're throwing flags on so many plays where there's just nothing.

2 of the very first things they teach you as a ref are:

1) See everything you flag but don't flag everything you see

2) Be sure you've seen the whole sequence before throwing your flag

These guys are flagging every single thing they see and sometimes they obviously didn't see the whole sequence... I mean that's referring 101, are they getting paid per flag thrown or what ?
Old 10-15-2019, 09:45 AM   #5
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

I will take the dissenting opinion and side with the referees. It isn't an easy job. They are on field level, not watching a TV on a couch. There are 7 guys watching 22 men, who often are obstructing their view and moving quickly. Almost every call is subjective, what is holding, what is illegal use of hands, what is pass interference?

As soon as the NFL decided in the mid 70's to make the game more friendly to the offense calling games was no longer cut and dry. Believe it or not holding used to be easy to call, so was pass interference. The rules and their interpretations are constantly changing now. Anyone notice the new onside kick rules? The chances of a successful onside kick recovery is close to nil.Try to put yourselves in the refs shoes. Every year they have to relearn their job top to bottom. That can't be easy. I blame the NFL for the poor officiating, not the zebras.
Buffalo Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 10:18 AM   #6
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Bob View Post
I will take the dissenting opinion and side with the referees. It isn't an easy job. They are on field level, not watching a TV on a couch. There are 7 guys watching 22 men, who often are obstructing their view and moving quickly. Almost every call is subjective, what is holding, what is illegal use of hands, what is pass interference?

As soon as the NFL decided in the mid 70's to make the game more friendly to the offense calling games was no longer cut and dry. Believe it or not holding used to be easy to call, so was pass interference. The rules and their interpretations are constantly changing now. Anyone notice the new onside kick rules? The chances of a successful onside kick recovery is close to nil.Try to put yourselves in the refs shoes. Every year they have to relearn their job top to bottom. That can't be easy. I blame the NFL for the poor officiating, not the zebras.
Being an amateur zebra I also tend to side with them but this year I feel like the volume of flags thrown is way up (I'd like to have the actual stats on that).

Yes it's partly subjective but not to the extent people usually think it is: the rules are so well written that it takes away a big part of that subjectivity. Well at least it should.

And again, you're supposed to not call 100% of what you see but see a 100% of what you call... on some of these defensive holding calls, you're like "man if you actually saw the whole contact there's absolutely no way you could actually think it impacted the play, don't throw your flag if you just saw a glimpse of the sequence"...
Old 10-15-2019, 11:58 AM   #7
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchSkin View Post
Being an amateur zebra I also tend to side with them but this year I feel like the volume of flags thrown is way up (I'd like to have the actual stats on that).

Yes it's partly subjective but not to the extent people usually think it is: the rules are so well written that it takes away a big part of that subjectivity. Well at least it should.

And again, you're supposed to not call 100% of what you see but see a 100% of what you call... on some of these defensive holding calls, you're like "man if you actually saw the whole contact there's absolutely no way you could actually think it impacted the play, don't throw your flag if you just saw a glimpse of the sequence"...
I did some amateur zebra work myself in High School games, but it was back in the day when the game was easier to call. Even if the rules are well written, subjectivity comes into play. I haven't seen a modern rule book I only know what the announcers tell me. If you have a link to NFL rules explained by the NFL I would love to read up.
Buffalo Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 02:51 AM   #8
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
I did some amateur zebra work myself in High School games, but it was back in the day when the game was easier to call. Even if the rules are well written, subjectivity comes into play. I haven't seen a modern rule book I only know what the announcers tell me. If you have a link to NFL rules explained by the NFL I would love to read up.
Actually I don't, all I can give you is NCAA rules translated in french, but I guess that's pointless ^^
Old 10-15-2019, 12:15 PM   #9
calia
Playmaker

Quote:

I would add that we are sitting watching close ups in slow motion and high def. We have a better vantage point than the refs.

Having said that, they’re not off the hook and there have been awful calls week in and week out and it does feel like it’s gotten worse. And the flags do not seem equitably distributed - whether intentional or not, it causes folks to question objectivity, which is a bad thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-15-2019, 09:03 AM   #10
Redskins247
Impact Rookie

There's always been bad calls, but it's definitely getting worse. I've never heard so many of the analysts just calling out the refs during the game like they are now. They need to be held accountable...plays like last night should cost them money...then they'd be a little more cautious when throwing that flag.
Redskins247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 09:10 AM   #11
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Anyone notice how they tend to come in bunches? It’s weird...a couple games ago we were backed up against the end zone and we had like 3-4 in a row...one on rookie Wes which was horseshit. Also there is sometimes a bunch and then some which tend to be make up calls. Like 2 against one team and then 1 against the other for an evening out affect.

It’s just too much and makes it unwatchable. I thought the Miami game was actually tamed and best called game I’ve seen for us this year. But I think that might be crew related...which is bad if variation is that rampant among crews.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 09:37 AM   #12
Giantone
Gamebreaker

The end of the Dallas -Jet game was a joke.
Old 10-15-2019, 10:16 AM   #13
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
The end of the Dallas -Jet game was a joke.
I heard that there were a bunch of illegal contact calls in a row.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 11:51 AM   #14
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
6 consecutive plays with a penalty including 2 pass interferences one which happened on a 7 yard comeback route on 1st and 27

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 12:51 PM   #15
Meks
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
They absolutely walked Dallas down the field holding their hand on bogus call after exaggerated after plain bullshit calls. Guess what fuckers? Didn't work.
R.I.P #21SEAN TAYLOR
Meks is offline   Reply With Quote