WFT's Off-Season Thread

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 02-28-2021, 11:57 AM   #391
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Re: WFT's Off-Season Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalper View Post
We got routinely owned by better teams, on pass rush especially. We beat one winning team, and one reason (of many) that better teams beat us is we couldn't block the more elite rushers.
Well, most teams get beat by the more elite rushers. That's why they call them elite; and you don't get routinely owned throughout the season, and come out at the end with the 6th best offensive line in the league.

Having four different starting QBs (with the best option being completely immobile), a starting RB basically learning the position and missing time due to injury, and receivers who (other than Terry) couldn't get separation, made the line look worse than they were.

There's no reason to start over here. They would be fine if they just add some developmental depth in the draft and retain Scherff.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 02-28-2021, 04:42 PM   #392
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
Well, most teams get beat by the more elite rushers. That's why they call them elite; and you don't get routinely owned throughout the season, and come out at the end with the 6th best offensive line in the league.

Having four different starting QBs (with the best option being completely immobile), a starting RB basically learning the position and missing time due to injury, and receivers who (other than Terry) couldn't get separation, made the line look worse than they were.

There's no reason to start over here. They would be fine if they just add some developmental depth in the draft and retain Scherff.
Agreed. Our line wasn't great in the run game, but out played expectations (or at least mine) in pass pro.
Old 02-28-2021, 04:52 PM   #393
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

We know there are a lot of options in FA at WR, but here are some players I don't think that much thought was given to yet, and could make sense for us :

WR: Will Fuller

ILB: Avery Williamson, Christian Kirksey, Joe Thomas, Kevin Minter

Safety: Malik Hooker, Keany Neals
Old 02-28-2021, 05:03 PM   #394
AnonEmouse
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchSkin View Post
We know there are a lot of options in FA at WR, but here are some players I don't think that much thought was given to yet, and could make sense for us :

WR: Will Fuller

ILB: Avery Williamson, Christian Kirksey, Joe Thomas, Kevin Minter

Safety: Malik Hooker, Keany Neals
I mentioned Fuller on the basis that Robinson and Golladay will likely be tagged. Downside is he's still got to finish a suspension and that gives me further pause for thought (could it happen again?). I'd pursue other options alongside him and grab him if our first options didn't pan out (and assuming he was still available..
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 06:48 PM   #395
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonEmouse View Post
I mentioned Fuller on the basis that Robinson and Golladay will likely be tagged. Downside is he's still got to finish a suspension and that gives me further pause for thought (could it happen again?). I'd pursue other options alongside him and grab him if our first options didn't pan out (and assuming he was still available..
I still like Corey Davis over Fuller given his injury history and the suspension.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 07:06 PM   #396
AnonEmouse
The Starter

Quote:
I still like Corey Davis over Fuller given his injury history and the suspension.
Samuel too. Talk of Godwin being tagged, but I'm curious how the Buccs do that with less than 10M cap space.
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 07:28 PM   #397
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonEmouse View Post
Samuel too. Talk of Godwin being tagged, but I'm curious how the Buccs do that with less than 10M cap space.
He said he'd rather play for less and stay on a winner
Old 02-28-2021, 09:48 PM   #398
SkinzWin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
I think if Washington Wolves is the best we can do we might as well stick with the dumb Football Team name.
I was a proponent of the Washington Renegades early on in the renaming process. Richmond used to have a minor league hockey team named the Renegades and it was pretty sweet.
Sean Taylor #21 a Redskin forever...

Team Heinicke Fan Club
punch it in - CEO
SkinzWin - President
FrenchSkin - VP of Global Operations
ODUsmitty - Director of Cheerleader Fulfillment
Meks - Director of Marketing
SkinzWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 06:41 AM   #399
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Here are the players PFF thinks would be fits for us in free agency. Overall PFF FA ranking and analysis included.

7. S ANTHONY HARRIS

Anthony Harris has been one of the best safeties in football for the past few seasons, steadily earning himself increased playing time in Minnesota. He put together an All-Pro caliber season in 2019 before taking a step back this year along with the rest of the Vikings’ defense. Harris earned a 91.1 overall PFF grade a season ago, which came hot on the heels of the 89.0 mark he posted the year before that when he played 624 snaps and started half the season due to injury. He has been a perfect free safety within Mike Zimmer’s defense, which employs a lot of split-safety looks and has been particularly adept at making plays on the football, with coverage being by far his biggest asset. Harris has shown the ability to read route concepts and quarterbacks at the same time, putting himself in position to make plays. He should be primed for a big deal.

Contract Analysis: Minnesota has a huge decision to make at safety with the anchor of their defense in Harrison Smith entering the final year of his deal in 2021, as well. Harris’ emergence opposite Smith has been a welcome development, and although he’s the younger player, it’s hard to imagine the Vikings letting Smith play a single snap outside of Minnesota before his potentially Hall of Fame career is over.

Prediction: Football Team signs Harris for four years, $56 million ($14M APY): $27.5 million total guaranteed, $16 million fully guaranteed at signing.

9. G BRANDON SCHERFF

One of the most dependable guards in the league, Scherff has never posted a PFF grade below 72.5 in his six-year NFL career.* Over the last three seasons, Scherff ranks among the league’s best guards in nearly every key metric, including a 97th percentile ranking on true pass sets and 90th percentile ranking in percentage of positively graded plays. Both numbers are among the most important when projecting interior offensive linemen from year to year.
In the run game, Scherff can do it all, showing the power at the point of attack and the quickness to make any block in space. He’s also one of the most polished pass protectors in the league, and he stands out as the best interior offensive lineman in this free agent class.

Contract Analysis: The NFC East currently has the NFL’s No. 1, 2, and 3 highest-paid right guards on an annual basis in Brandon Brooks (Eagles), Zack Martin (Cowboys), and Kevin Zeitler (Giants). Scherff’s 2020 franchise tag amount of just above $15M will likely serve as the floor for what he’s looking for on an annual basis in an extension, which would make him the highest-paid guard in the NFC East (and NFL).

Prediction: Washington signs Scherff for four years, $60M ($15M APY): $37.5M total guaranteed, $25M fully guaranteed at signing.

25. WR COREY DAVIS

While Davis may never live up to his No. 5 overall draft status, he has become a reliable No. 2 receiver. His four-year body of work puts him slightly above average when measured by PFF receiving grade, receiving grade against single coverage and yards per route run. Davis pairs one of the lowest drop rates in the league with one of the lowest catchable-target rates — his 2020 breakout may be more than a mirage. Davis looked the part of a high-volume possession receiver coming out of college, but he works best on the outside running the vertical route tree, and he’s been better than expected at winning in contested situations at the catch point.

Davis may never develop into an all-around route-runner or a dynamic threat after the catch, but if expectations are properly set, he fills the role of a dependable complementary receiver on the outside. Davis' 86.9 regular season grade was by far the best of his career and ranked eighth among all receivers.

Contract Analysis: Davis was supposed to be the high draft pick breakout wide receiver in Tennessee, but A.J. Brown burst onto the scene in 2019 and isn’t looking back. Tennessee will have a hard time retaining Davis, who has earned a solid contract and whose status as the No. 5 overall pick will artificially inflate the value of that contract even further.

Prediction: Football Team signs Davis for four years, $65M ($16.25M APY): $32M total guaranteed, $20M fully guaranteed at signing.

64. CB RONALD DARBY

It’s been an odd career for Darby, who has now had productive seasons for three different teams in his six NFL seasons. The problems in between have been injuries and ineffectiveness, and 2020 is the first season in which Darby has played at least 600 snaps since 2016. He’s best in man coverage, where he has the speed and shiftiness to hang with a variety of receivers. Darby has graded in the 92nd percentile in single coverage since entering the league.

The knock on Darby has always been a lack of interceptions, both in college and in the NFL; he has just eight in his career. But for man-heavy teams looking to make life difficult on outside receivers, he is worth another look as he hits free agency for the third straight season.

Contract Analysis: Darby signed a pseudo-one-year deal with the Eagles in 2019 that had voidable years tacked on, and after he endured the worst season of his career following a torn ACL, Philadelphia indeed moved on. Another prove-it deal of $3 million from the Washington Football Team went much better for Darby, and now he’s poised to hit the market at a high point. After six full seasons in the NFL, Darby still only just turned 27 years old on Jan. 2.

Prediction: Washington signs Darby for three years, $30 million ($10M APY): $16.5 million total guaranteed, $10 million fully guaranteed at signing.

Whether or not you agree with them about players, PFF puts in the work. They don't just tell you who and what but they tell you why, with the numbers to back it up. I think this is a very nice FA list for the WFT. PFF has obviously been paying attention to our team needs and not just throwing darts blindfolded like many FA predictors seem to do. Good job, PFF!
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 07:16 AM   #400
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Guys like glanville and buddy ryan helped make the NFL a truly great league back in those days. you needed guys like them ( and also gibbs and walsh types) to help create true rivals. now it's all about clean cut mcvay look a likes. it's not the same and never will be.
I know you're going to slap your forehead and say "Doh!" when I mention this coach who was a winner, a very like-able man, and an unforgettable character: Bum Phillips.

You're right about the characters who coached in the NFL "back in the day." I'll name some more: Mike Ditka, Dennis "We knew who they were!" Green, Jim "Playoffs? PLAYOFFS?!" Mora, and our own George Allen, the originator of the storied Dallas/Washington rivalry.
Old 03-01-2021, 10:25 AM   #401
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Fuller is a younger DeSean Jackson. Similar abilities and can't stay healthy.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 10:33 AM   #402
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post

I'm sorry but if you think this is better than WFT you need to root for arena football...

That shit is awful
logo and the font below the helmet are amateur hour at best

I'm not a big fan of Redwolves, it sounds like what a bunch of 6th grade boys would come up with. But I could live with the name if the logo is done right.
Old 03-01-2021, 10:47 AM   #403
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
let it go. redwolves is not going to happen.

I too have become strangely attached to wft but come on. Lol.
Maybe in the minority but i like the name and the logo. Plus I desperately want to hear the howl every time we get a first down. Lol
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 11:31 AM   #404
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
I too have become strangely attached to wft but come on. Lol.
Maybe in the minority but i like the name and the logo. Plus I desperately want to hear the howl every time we get a first down. Lol
Me too, Brother.
Old 03-01-2021, 11:35 AM   #405
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

As a history buff, I wouldn't mind Redtails either. The name lends itself to some great logos and uniforms.