Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

2012 QB Prospects (Part 2)

Locker Room Main Forum

Closed Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 04:24 PM   #1
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

2012 QB Prospects (Part 2)

Since the last thread became too cumbersome for some. Here's a fresh one to discuss the upcoming QB class.

At this point having one for every prospect doesn't make sense because the inevitable overlap across all would not make for a great reader experience

Advertisements
Old 11-24-2011, 07:09 PM   #2
IrMitchell
Impact Rookie

Re: 2012 QB Prospects (Part 2)

Well it looks like Barkley will stay, and will be followed by Jones in the coming months.

We chose the wrong year to start Beck and Grossman.
Old 11-24-2011, 07:33 PM   #3
Landry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrMitchell View Post
Well it looks like Barkley will stay, and will be followed by Jones in the coming months.

Why do you think Barkley is going to stay?
Old 11-24-2011, 07:41 PM   #4
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Quote:

Where did you see that? I hope not. I heard the rumor that Luck might stay for a 5th year which he is eligible for.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
Old 11-24-2011, 07:46 PM   #5
IrMitchell
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landry44 View Post
Why do you think Barkley is going to stay?
He hasn't been able to do anything as a Trojan.. 1 bowl game as a freshman and since he's been held back by Reggie Bush. He has no legacy as a Trojan and he's got the best left tackle in the nation who feels the same way.

They said they'd make their decision together and that he (Barkley) doesn't plan on crying during his "final" game like Leinart because they're in completely different situations.

Quote:
"I know where I'm at draft-wise, but I also know the other side of it — Matt and I coming back and doing something really special for this university," he said. "That's really crossed my mind as something I would want to do.
USC's Matt Barkley and Matt Kalil are in this together - Los Angeles Times
Old 11-24-2011, 07:53 PM   #6
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Since the last thread became too cumbersome for some. Here's a fresh one to discuss the upcoming QB class.

At this point having one for every prospect doesn't make sense because the inevitable overlap across all would not make for a great reader experience
Good idea for this thread. I know we have a thread devoted to Andrew Luck. And that's fine because Luck is a once in a generation prospect according to pretty much all the experts, he's the surefire #1 pick, and some say has the highest grade of any college player since Elway. So yeah, we can have a thread devoted to a prospect of that caliber.

What's not cool is for everyone with a man-crush on every other QB who may or may not be going pro to start a thread devoted to them.
Old 11-24-2011, 08:01 PM   #7
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Landry was prob going to come back anyway but that's horrible if Barkley stays.. If so then all we can do is hope for RG3 bcuz Luck is going 1 to Indy IMO
Old 11-24-2011, 08:24 PM   #8
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Tannehill on ESPN and WatchESPN tonight
Old 11-24-2011, 08:27 PM   #9
mlmpetert
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
Good idea for this thread. I know we have a thread devoted to Andrew Luck. And that's fine because Luck is a once in a generation prospect according to pretty much all the experts, he's the surefire #1 pick, and some say has the highest grade of any college player since Elway. So yeah, we can have a thread devoted to a prospect of that caliber.

What's not cool is for everyone with a man-crush on every other QB who may or may not be going pro to start a thread devoted to them.

I completely agree with cpayne5 in that things can and do get completely lost in long threads. I check the warpath a lot, maybe compulsively, and i am flat out unable to keep up with some of these extremely long threads and the many topics that come up in them.

I get not starting a thread for everything or everyone under the sun, but i personally like when thewarpath has threads that are less broad. I think RG3 is a draft prospect like few before and I personally would have preferred reading a thread dedicated to him then trying to thumb through tons of posts going all sorts of directions and trying to stumble on debate related to one issue.

What sucks about closing one thread and starting a new one of the same name is that there were some pretty good thoughts and ideas that were exchanged in the other thread and now those are all pretty much all lost. I liked Landry44's post but now its pretty much dead.

This the best Redskins forum out there by far but if there was one thing that could make it even better (for guys like me) it would be less marathon threads. Just my 2 cents.

"But hey, I’m not going to complain about it, I’m just making everybody aware of it, and hopefully somebody will take notice"......

Last edited by mlmpetert; 11-24-2011 at 08:33 PM.
Old 11-24-2011, 08:31 PM   #10
mlmpetert
Playmaker

Quote:
This guy has been nothing short of spectacular this year. His combination of athleticism, arm strength, and accuracy makes him a top prospect in my eyes. Luck is getting all the hype and praise while guys like RG3, Barkley, and Foles are getting overlooked. This is how I think RG3 messures up.

5= elite
4= above average
3= average
2= below average
1= poor

Arm Strength: I think RG3 has a well above average arm strength, but not elite arm strength. He has more than enough arm strength to make every single NFL throw.

Grade 4

Accuracy: One of the things that makes RG3 so intriguing is his unbelievable accuracy definitely on the deep ball. This guy has excellent ball placement in the pocket and on the run.

Grade 5

Mechanics: The perfect over-the-top throwing motion RG3 displays is great. He has a quick release to go along with his perfect throwing motion. My only knock on his mechanic is that he sometimes throw the ball off his back foot when doesn't have too. Also his footwork not so good at times. With a little work and good coach this part of his game can be elite.

Grade 3

Pocket Presences: RG3 has a pretty good grasp of sensing pressure. He takes some sacks. However, he usually gets rid of the before taking the sack.

Grade 4

Athleticism: RG3 semifinalist at the Olympic Trials in the 400 hurdles following high school. He has shown the ability to elude would be sacks and turn them into big gains. He's very dangerous in the open field. There are few players that has his speed and elusiveness at qb.

Grade 5

Intangiblies: RG3 is a real character guy. He's an excellent student. He's proven to be a true leader on the field and in the locker room. He's a great competitor.

Grade 5

Summary: Robert Griffin is the most exciting prospects that I have seen in many years. It's rare to find a qb with his athleticism that has great passing ability as well. At the next level I believe he will give many defense fits with his arm and his legs. I think he's the best fit for what we do offensively.

Overall= 5
Landry44 i agree with you. And even though i think Luck is the number 1, if we had the number one i would have a very hard time passing this guy up for anyone, even Luck.
Old 11-24-2011, 08:37 PM   #11
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmpetert View Post
I completely agree with cpayne5 in that things can and do get completely lost in long threads. I check the warpath a lot, maybe compulsively, and i am flat out unable to keep up with some of these extremely long threads and the many topics that come up in them.

I get not starting a thread for everything or everyone under the sun, but i personally like when thewarpath has threads that are less broad. I think RG3 is a draft prospect like dew before and I personally would have preferred reading a thread dedicated to him then trying to thumb through tons of posts going all sorts of directions and trying to stumble on debate related to one issue.

What sucks about closing one thread and starting a new one of the same name is that there were some pretty good thoughts and ideas that were exchanged in the other thread and now those are all pretty much all lost. I liked Landry44's post but now its pretty much dead.

This the best Redskins forum out there by far but if there was one thing that it could make it even better (for guys like me) it would be less marathon threads. Just my 2 cents.

"But hey, I’m not going to complain about it, I’m just making everybody aware of it, and hopefully somebody will take notice"......
Fair points. I hear what you're saying. For us mods, we obviously want good, solid topics of discussion that are thread-worthy, and try our best to avoid stuff that just leads to clutter. Like with this whole QB thing- Someone likes RGIII, up pops a thread. Then Barkley follows, then Landry Jones, Kellen Moore, Tannehill... next thing you know the top half of the main page is a half dozen threads just about QB's.

It was my decision to close the RGIII thread. I stand by it.
Old 11-24-2011, 09:17 PM   #12
WaldSkins
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmpetert View Post
Landry44 i agree with you. And even though i think Luck is the number 1, if we had the number one i would have a very hard time passing this guy up for anyone, even Luck.
Doesnt RGIII have one of the best Olines in college football.
Old 11-24-2011, 09:21 PM   #13
IrMitchell
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldSkins View Post
Doesnt RGIII have one of the best Olines in college football.
Not sure about that, but I remember in the OU game he was getting rocked early and HARD. By the second half his o line was giving him all day.
Old 11-24-2011, 09:23 PM   #14
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
Landry was prob going to come back anyway but that's horrible if Barkley stays.. If so then all we can do is hope for RG3 bcuz Luck is going 1 to Indy IMO
There's a good chance that we'll be picking fifth at 5-11 with just Indianapolis, Carolina, St. Louis, and Minnesota picking ahead of us. After Luck goes first, two of those teams won't even entertain the thought of picking a QB, and the other, St. Louis, is still very tied to Bradford no matter what they decide to do. The Redskins are well positioned to be able to draft the best of the rest.
Old 11-24-2011, 09:24 PM   #15
WaldSkins
Playmaker

Quote:
Not sure about that, but I remember in the OU game he was getting rocked early and HARD. By the second half his o line was giving him all day.
I gotta admit that im not really familiar with RGIII. I thought i heard somewhere that he wouldnt look all that impressive behind a lesser oline.