Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

The "Inside Word" on the QB Search

Locker Room Main Forum

Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 03:31 PM   #46
diehard
The Starter

Re: The "Inside Word" on the QB Search

If STL prefers RGIII over Bradford, they can't possibly get two first day picks for him. Not for Bradford's contract and his history of injuries. Teams should call their bluff.

Advertisements
Old 01-03-2012, 03:32 PM   #47
T.O.Killa
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
Anybody that would give up a first rounder for Flynn is a ****ing idiot. Vinny is no longer a GM so I seriously doubt any would. If these guys actually said they would give up a first rounder for Flynn, I can see why they are "former" GMs.

Also, nobody is going to pay Flynn a 16million dollar salary if he's franchised either. Not going to happen.
You are wrong. There is only a few peolpe in the world that ever get to be GMs. There is never more than 32 at any given time, and there are 7 billion people in the world. His cap figure would be 14 million. His contract would be re-negotiated prior to anyone giving anything. Good QBs are more rare than GM's. There are only ten in 7 billion. As much as we hate Rex Grossman, he is the 28 th best quarterback in the world. I am going to post the last ten years of first round quarterbacks taken so you can see how few really succeed.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:33 PM   #48
Big C
Mr. Brightside

what is so great about hoyer? hes never done anything in the pros and wasnt heralded in the draft either, so what is the deal with his hype?

same goes for flynn, because he was even being hyped before he had the 1 good game. 7th round pick, no nfl pedigree, backup. what made these guys attractive options to begin with? i dont understand.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:36 PM   #49
mlmpetert
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehard View Post
If STL prefers RGIII over Bradford, they can't possibly get two first day picks for him. Not for Bradford's contract and his history of injuries. Teams should call their bluff.

Im thinking that if STL trades Bradford it will be with the intentions to move up and get Luck. Like they give up their second overall pick, plus our 6th overall pick they got from us for Bradford.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:37 PM   #50
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Robert Griffin III, not Andrew Luck, the right pick for Indianapolis Colts - ESPN
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
Old 01-03-2012, 03:41 PM   #51
mlmpetert
Playmaker

Smootsmack, with regards to Flynn and other FA QB's that are still playing (since their team is in the playoffs) have you heard of any teams that have interest in him/them. I guess my question is, do teams show legit interest in a QB before he reaches his offseason? If so do you know of any team showing interest in Flynn?
Old 01-03-2012, 03:43 PM   #52
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddyg12 View Post
What would be interesting is to see if they think they can drop back & still get Jones or Tannehill. If Blakmon is still there at 6 I think some offers could come in. If a J. Jones type offer comes in, that's too good to pass up even if you need a franchise qb.
Well the Seahawks, who I still think are the favorites for Flynn, will take one of those guys at 12 (I think it's 12) if they're available (and they don't get Flynn)

And there's also the Dolphins, who interestingly enough could be interviewing Mike Sherman for a head coaching position.

So they can't drop back too much it seems
Old 01-03-2012, 03:44 PM   #53
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmpetert View Post
Smootsmack, with regards to Flynn and other FA QB's that are still playing (since their team is in the playoffs) have you heard of any teams that have interest in him/them. I guess my question is, do teams show legit interest in a QB before he reaches his offseason? If so do you know of any team showing interest in Flynn?
Have heard the Browns, Seahawks, and Dolphins are all interested in Flynn. It's all just "off the record" interest. Usually buzz from scouts talking to each other on road trips
Old 01-03-2012, 03:52 PM   #54
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
My biggest fear with Flynn is not that he'll be the next Kolb but rather the next Brees. An UFA franchise changing QB that was there for the taking but passed up by us.
That's how I see him.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:08 PM   #55
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
So I think Plan A is make a run for Sam Bradford and possibly add someone like a Jimmy Clausen/Brian Hoyer. Though Hoyer may cost too much to not start him. Bradford and Clausen! Could you imagine, how silly would that be. Plan B is draft a Jones/Tannehill and someone like Grossman or Josh Johnson is the veteran/transition QB.

My gut prediction as of today...Landry Jones (I know I've been saying Tannehill but I'm honestly going back and forth on the two) and Rex returns as the backup.
Landry Jones would make the most sense of all the available quarterbacks for what we are already doing here.

But obvious caveat here: what we're doing in 2011 and 2012 may not resemble what we are doing in 2013 and 2014. And there are really significant red flags with Landry Jones. I think Brian Hoyer is a much better bet to be a starting quality NFL quarterback. But he fits what we're doing less than Jones' skill set does.

What's weird is that no one I have talked to thinks that the Redskins have any interest in Sam Bradford. Like, any, as in: wouldn't pick him up if he was a free agent. With that said, no one I have talked to would know what the Redskins are talking about behind the Bruce Allen-sanctioned curtain of secrecy. It's more like a "what everyone knows about the Redskins" thing.

The biggest thing with Bradford is that he's one of the pieces that makes the Rams as an appealing a job as it is. A lot of this rumor mill stuff is totally dependent on who the Rams (and really the Colts) hire, and what their opinions are on football matters.

And this Bradford thing has a really good chance to become a repeat of the Rick Mirer trade when a QB with a sensational college career gets dealt two years in to a team desperate for a quarterback. I just don't see any specific reason to believe that the Redskins are going to get involved.

Though what we do know about Mike Shanahan is this: his draft day grades carry weight for a very, very long time after draft day. If he really did love Bradford on draft day (which I am disputing), he probably still loves him now, recent evidence be damned.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:10 PM   #56
Big C
Mr. Brightside

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
That's how I see him.
the difference is that brees and kolb were both 2nd round qbs with some pedigree, and brees had already had success in the nfl over an entire season. flynn has yet to do that, and was a 7th round pick.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:15 PM   #57
GTripp0012
Living Legend

And I only want Bradford and Clausen if we can also get Tebow and McCoy on the same roster. Screw the McNabb trade, we've got the whole 2010 QB draft!
Old 01-03-2012, 04:17 PM   #58
Meks
Pro Bowl

I still say wait and take Foles in the 2nd or 3rd if he drops.
R.I.P #21SEAN TAYLOR
Old 01-03-2012, 04:20 PM   #59
GTripp0012
Living Legend

I'll probably say this a lot between now and mid-March, but Chad Henne is younger, more proven and has better tools than Matt Flynn. See for yourself:

Chad Henne NFL Football Statistics - Pro-Football-Reference.com

Matt Flynn NFL Football Statistics - Pro-Football-Reference.com

I'm not even sure I understand the argument for Flynn over Henne. We don't know how good Flynn is? The Packers are better at developing QBs than the Dolphins? A mixture of weak reasoning?

Henne should get at least one and a half times what Flynn gets in guaranteed money.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:21 PM   #60
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Well, this just in. Broncos looking like a sleeper team preparing an offer to move to #2 for the chance to get RGIII. Biggest competition likely the Browns who can probably offer more.