Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

Favorite bands?

Parking Lot

Old 04-17-2004, 10:25 AM   #16
Sammy Baugh Fan
Playmaker

Hey JoeRedskin
IU'm rewritting the lyrics to "Momma Don't Let Yer Babies Grow Up to be Cowboys" and will sing it there that night.

"Momma don't let yer babies grow up to be Cowboys,
Just let them play guitars, go to Bars and get Drunk,
And teach'em about Riggins, Sammy Baugh and Art Monk."

Bwhahaha
I'll do it!

Glad you can make it.

Hey Skinsrock...Ya got a killer band bro.
Rock on!

peace

Advertisements
Old 04-17-2004, 12:21 PM   #17
SKINSnCANES
Pro Bowl

haha, changing a song to be about the Skins, awesome.

Some of my favorites include:

Disturbed
System of a Down
Chayanne (a world famous latin singer, my best friend is the bass player)
Redskins Marching Band (the funky four)
Blink 182
Puddle of Mudd

eh, im tired, that seems like a good enough list for now, you guys already covered a lot of them
Old 04-18-2004, 11:05 PM   #18
Dave Butz Baby!
Special Teams

Sweet... a music thread! I'd have to say that music is one of the most important things in life to me.. far more so than football! Sacrilege! Yeah, I know.

Nice to see other musicians here as well! I've been playing instruments since I was five... and I just turned 34. Eight years playing classical violin (age 5-13) and have been playing guitar ever since then. Picked up enough bass, mandolin (used to have a kick-ass five string electric mando... that thing was a trip to play), banjo, and lap steel to be dangerous.

Screw the damn t-shirt! But seriously, what LP is that JoeCrisp? A Deluxe? I don't know much about Pauls... Nice 'Burst, though! What do you play through? I can talk about this stuff as fervently as Skins stuff!

I ended up a Tele player. I love those guitars. I've owned lots of guitars (LP's, SG's, Strats, 335's, Danelectros...) and amps, but for me simpler is better... a Tele -> TubeScreamer -> Twin. That's about it for my setup! Past year or so, I've switched from playing a lot more jazz influenced things to playing more straight ahead country-rock-blues type stuff... Johnny Cash, "Exile on Main Street" (among others) era Stones, Flying Burrito Brothers.

Musically, I like all kinds of stuff, though I really listen to new country, top 40, "modern rock", or hip hop. My LP/CD collection has stuff from all over the spectrum...

Zeppelin (whole reason I started playing guitar)
Pink Floyd
Dead
Phish
James Brown
Beatles
Johnny Cash
Stones
Primus
Allman Bros (learned how to play guitar by playing along with Fillmore East.. hundreds of times)
Neil Young
Miles Davis (esp. Bitch's Brew era stuff)
Medeski Martin & Wood (current NYC jazz band)
Talking Heads
Velvet Underground
Police
early REM
Bill Monroe
Incredible Jimmy Smith
Ornette Coleman
Frank Zappa (!!!!!!!!)
David Bowie
Emmy Lou Harris
Flying Burrito Brothers
Marvin Gaye...

Wow. Lots. And a hell of a lot more than what's here! Great stuff!
Old 04-21-2004, 11:20 AM   #19
SkinsRock
Impact Rookie

[QUOTE=Dave Butz Baby!]Sweet... a music thread! I'd have to say that music is one of the most important things in life to me.. far more so than football! Sacrilege! Yeah, I know.

Nice to see other musicians here as well! I've been playing instruments since I was five... and I just turned 34. Eight years playing classical violin (age 5-13) and have been playing guitar ever since then. Picked up enough bass, mandolin (used to have a kick-ass five string electric mando... that thing was a trip to play), banjo, and lap steel to be dangerous.

Screw the damn t-shirt! But seriously, what LP is that JoeCrisp? A Deluxe? I don't know much about Pauls... Nice 'Burst, though! What do you play through? I can talk about this stuff as fervently as Skins stuff!

I ended up a Tele player. I love those guitars. I've owned lots of guitars (LP's, SG's, Strats, 335's, Danelectros...) and amps, but for me simpler is better... a Tele -> TubeScreamer -> Twin. That's about it for my setup! Past year or so, I've switched from playing a lot more jazz influenced things to playing more straight ahead country-rock-blues type stuff... Johnny Cash, "Exile on Main Street" (among others) era Stones, Flying Burrito Brothers.

Musically, I like all kinds of stuff, though I really listen to new country, top 40, "modern rock", or hip hop. My LP/CD collection has stuff from all over the spectrum...
QUOTE]

DBB, it is very nice to see other musicians, and especially guitar players on here! Actually, that picture was of me. Joe had pulled it off of my band's website: www.lssrocks.com. The Les Paul is an '82 Custom that I bought used a while back. It supposedly was a custom made finish....a gold top sunburst, with no wood grain showing...I've never seen another one like it, which is very cool! I've been playing since age 13, and have also owned many guitars, and currently have a few others, but that LP is my #1. I also have a mandolin that I got for X-mas one year, but still haven't put the time in to really learn how to play it right...
I've played a lot of different stuff, mainly rock, but I've gone from acoustic to more straight forward rock to harder stuff. I currently play through a Mesa Dual Rectifier, but I also have a Fender Hotrod Deluxe at home. I've also been a simpler is better person, but my effects board seems to keep growing....but I do stick with "stompboxes" and stay away from digital processors....gotta keep it real!!!
Even though I'm generally a pretty quiet guy, there are two things I will go on and on about: Music and the Redskins!!! ...just ask my wife...
SkinsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 11:26 AM   #20
SkinsRock
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecrisp
Nice shirt, SkinsRock! I had to check out the pics on your band's website just to make sure you were sporting some Redskins threads at a gig!

For those who don't recognize the shirt, it's the antiqued 70th Anniversary Redskins script T-shirt. I've got one, and it's one of my favorite weekend T-shirts. The logo is very subtle-- so faded you can barely see it if the light isn't right. It's just got that old-school football charm.

Mattyk72, we're going to have to make a slick Warpath t-shirt that our musician members can wear on-stage!
Yeah, that's one of my favorite Skins shirts to wear too. We play in and around Baltimore a lot, and that shirt is a good subtle way of representing the Skins....without getting my a$$ kicked by obnoxious Ravens fans!!! LOL
Old 04-21-2004, 11:55 AM   #21
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

SkinsR - I live in Baltimore and would love to come see you guys. As a parent of an infant/toddler (he took his first steps on Easter at my parents house - VERY cool) and with a wife who HATES the smokey club scene, it is difficult to get out BUT let me know the when and where of your gigs and I'll see what I can do. I have one or two friends (well, as long as I keep paying them) who may be interested in joining me.

I'll even wear my D. Green jersey.
JoeRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 01:30 PM   #22
SkinsRock
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin
SkinsR - I live in Baltimore and would love to come see you guys. As a parent of an infant/toddler (he took his first steps on Easter at my parents house - VERY cool) and with a wife who HATES the smokey club scene, it is difficult to get out BUT let me know the when and where of your gigs and I'll see what I can do. I have one or two friends (well, as long as I keep paying them) who may be interested in joining me.

I'll even wear my D. Green jersey.
Cool!

We are playing Kaos grill in Towson on Thurs May 6th. If you've heard of it, yes it is a normal bar with bands, but then there is the "gentleman's club" through the double doors. Our bass player is getting married two days later so this likely will turn into the "unofficial" bachelor party.....so it should be a very good time! More details and directions are on our web site.