The Common Ground thread

Debating with the enemy

Old 05-30-2023, 07:42 PM   #136
nonniey
The Starter

Re: The Common Ground thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreSkins View Post
I disagree with SD on wind turbines. They are not animal killers and Renewable energy = homeland security

But can we all agree Feinstein needs to step down?
Windmills most definitely are animals killers. Everything has a cost/benefit calculation (even climate change has benefits) just have to determine if the benefit out ways the cost.
nonniey is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 05-30-2023, 08:49 PM   #137
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

okay yes they kill a few birds every year. I should not deal in absolutes. That is such a weak argument against wind turbines. Domestic cats, glass buildings, domestic oil production from the Bakken oil fields all kill far more birds than wind turbines. It is an absurd and silly argument. Same for whales, seismic surveys for oil and natural gas are far more disruptive. We should be looking for quality solutions to providing long term energy not using false narratives.

If there are benefits to climate change I have not heard them and if there are they certainly do not outweigh the costs.
Old 05-30-2023, 09:33 PM   #138
nonniey
The Starter

Quote:
okay yes they kill a few birds every year. I should not deal in absolutes. That is such a weak argument against wind turbines. Domestic cats, glass buildings, domestic oil production from the Bakken oil fields all kill far more birds than wind turbines. It is an absurd and silly argument. Same for whales, seismic surveys for oil and natural gas are far more disruptive. We should be looking for quality solutions to providing long term energy not using false narratives.

If there are benefits to climate change I have not heard them and if there are they certainly do not outweigh the costs.
I wasn't arguing the point I just said there are costs and benefits. That said they really do need to pay attention to where they put them - Texas put them in a migratory path for a few bird populations and more than just a few were killed. I have no issue putting them off the NJ coast from what I understand it is low risk there. But the North East are full of nimbys so doubt they will get put there.
Old 05-30-2023, 09:38 PM   #139
nonniey
The Starter

Quote:

There are actually very major benefits to climate change or specifically a warming climate (If it was getting colder that would be bad), but yes they probably don't outweigh the costs (yet people can be stupid and make no mistake there are some climate change activists that definitely would implement policies that would outweigh the costs if they could - heck just yesterday a congressman was pushing for a policy (stopping all fossil fuel production) which costs would be far (far!) greater than doing nothing for climate change).

https://www.climate.gov/news-feature...warmer%20world.

Last edited by nonniey; 05-31-2023 at 09:31 AM.
Old 06-01-2023, 11:47 AM   #140
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

I guess my point is there are actual cons to wind turbines such as battery storage and infrastructure upgrade that limit them. Animal kills are red herring argument when there are far larger culprits out there for animal kills. We can't be pro domestic oil and anti wind turbines and the argument be that they kill animals because domestic oil kills more birds than wind turbines.

In terms of benefits of climate change is a potential short term increase in a growing season in some regions really a benefit? For the last 12,000 years our global temp has fluctuated in a 1.5 oC range. Every seed and animal we have selected genetics for has been cultivated in that narrow range. The current generation being born is the first generation that will live their lives out of that 1.5 oC window. Are we willing to risk our agricultural production and hope that science and technology will be able to modify organisms in a warming world? I feel like that is human hubris to me.

Anyways we could have this discussion till we are blue in the face and probably not see eye to eye. Can we at least agree Feinstein needs to step down?
Old 06-01-2023, 07:59 PM   #141
nonniey
The Starter

Quote:
I guess my point is there are actual cons to wind turbines such as battery storage and infrastructure upgrade that limit them. Animal kills are red herring argument when there are far larger culprits out there for animal kills. We can't be pro domestic oil and anti wind turbines and the argument be that they kill animals because domestic oil kills more birds than wind turbines.

In terms of benefits of climate change is a potential short term increase in a growing season in some regions really a benefit? For the last 12,000 years our global temp has fluctuated in a 1.5 oC range. Every seed and animal we have selected genetics for has been cultivated in that narrow range. The current generation being born is the first generation that will live their lives out of that 1.5 oC window. Are we willing to risk our agricultural production and hope that science and technology will be able to modify organisms in a warming world? I feel like that is human hubris to me.

Anyways we could have this discussion till we are blue in the face and probably not see eye to eye. Can we at least agree Feinstein needs to step down?
Feinstein - yes sure, but you do know that will help the GOP? Many think it would help Dems, but it's doubtful the GOP would allow a replacement on the Judiciary committee which would lock in their ability to block nominees thru Jan 5 2025.
Old 12-10-2023, 10:04 PM   #142
nonniey
The Starter

Is this the right thread for this? I saw Godzilla Minus 1 this week and yes the reviews are right. I thought it was the best movie I've seen in a couple of years and certainly the best Kaiju/Giant monster movie ever made.
Old 01-15-2024, 08:22 PM   #143
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

This is correct:

https://twitter.com/NickAdamsinUSA/s...98925933768857

Excellent advice here

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 08:28 AM   #144
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
This is correct:

https://twitter.com/NickAdamsinUSA/s...98925933768857

Excellent advice here
Why is Nick Adams in the common ground thread? There is nothing we have in common with that loser.

Women cover their drinks when he's in the vicinity at the bar.
Old 01-16-2024, 01:16 PM   #145
Fishingfool
Special Teams

Quote:

Few birds millions are killed each year. In Spain alone its estimated the kill between 15 to 18 million.
Fishingfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 02:14 AM   #146
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

https://youtube.com/watch?v=nox8-FRXK-U&feature=shared

votevets ad on fox, Reagan spoke volumes!

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 10:45 PM   #147
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

As bad as it is here, my god Canada is fucked. Reading about there housing crisis and job market.

Man, Trudeau has completely fucked that country backwards and this started pre Covid. Godspeed Canada

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 04:11 PM   #148
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

FINALLY,

Common ground on Ukraine
75% of the house voted to maintain US integrity in support of freedom and against a return to a world dominated by bully nations.

80% of the Senate rejected Russian propaganda that the likes of Tucker Carlson spews about Ukraine

Those who still think this delay was for America's sake need to take a deep look at the 130 members who voted nay, and what ties thay have to russia.

CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 04:47 PM   #149
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
FINALLY,

Common ground on Ukraine
75% of the house voted to maintain US integrity in support of freedom and against a return to a world dominated by bully nations.

80% of the Senate rejected Russian propaganda that the likes of Tucker Carlson spews about Ukraine

Those who still think this delay was for America's sake need to take a deep look at the 130 members who voted nay, and what ties thay have to russia.

Agree, MTG = Putin Envoy
Old 04-24-2024, 09:40 AM   #150
nonniey
The Starter

I think Biden had his good people on both sides moment yesterday when talking about the University protests. His wokeism is a massive threat to his reelection chances and I don't think they realize it.