Not drafting a QB a mistake?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 05-28-2015, 12:42 PM   #91
Schneed10
A Dude

Re: Not drafting a QB a mistake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
i mean, tell me which QB outside the 1st round that you think is going to make it big in the league, and we'll see if you're right in a few years. I bet whoever you pick will (99%) never make a pro bowl, and probably won't end up winning 16 games (total) before retiring from the NFL. if we can't see a guy that'll be a clear upgrade over our backups in two years, then it's a bit of a wasted pick vs someone who will actually make the active roster. just my opinion.
I agree with this as well, and would go even further to say that because the team needed such an attitude adjustment when it comes to strength, nastiness, grit, and toughness I am supportive of passing on QBs in favor of players who will hit, block, or bounce back up after being hit.

We took two skill players in Jones and Crowder, but both of them help set the tone. Jones will pick up blitzes, he takes pride in pass pro, he even mentioned it in his press conference. And all you need to do is watch a Duke tape or two and it's easy to see Crowder fearlessly going over the middle a la Wes Welker.

Maybe the QBs available at that point will do well, but it doesn't matter to me because I like the cumulative message McCloughan sent to the locker room by drafting nothing but tough SOBs.

Advertisements
Old 06-09-2015, 03:46 PM   #92
30gut
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
...a wrong action or statement proceeding from faulty judgment, inadequate knowledge, or inattention

So to answer the OP based on this definition:

No, I do not think it was a mistake. Yes I think that SM and others had good judgement, adequate to good knowledge, and were very focused on the task at hand.
Inattention.

By not drafting a QB I believe it shows an inattention to the QB position.
Others don't, shrugs.
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 03:49 PM   #93
30gut
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
i mean, tell me which QB outside the 1st round that you think is going to make it big in the league, and we'll see if you're right in a few years. I bet whoever you pick will (99%) never make a pro bowl, and probably won't end up winning 16 games (total) before retiring from the NFL. if we can't see a guy that'll be a clear upgrade over our backups in two years, then it's a bit of a wasted pick vs someone who will actually make the active roster. just my opinion.
By this logic any pick that doesn't 'make it big' or 'doesn't make a pro-bowl' or 'won't start 16 games' or isn't a clear upgrade over the back-ups in 2 year is a wasted pick vs a player that merely makes the active roster?

Isn't that I don't know...kinda of a double standard?
Old 06-09-2015, 03:57 PM   #94
30gut
Playmaker

Quote:
Then every draft every year is filled with mistakes.
Yeah, I said as much earlier:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30gut View Post
...The draft is zero sum. Every draft pick can be judged as a mistake or not. Even the best GMs don't bat anywhere close to 100%. Bill Polian said that the best GMs hit at about a 60% rate give or take. So every draft there are gonna be mistakes either or comission or omission. And no believes in BPA more then me. But most teams choose based on BPA but that doesn't mean their BPA evaluation was correct, only time can tell that answer. So speculating well they chose BPA there, doesn't mean that selection can't be a mistake.....

I just happen to think for reasons I've already expressed that not taking a QB somewhere in this draft was a mistake[EDIT: insert 'softer' phrasing here']. There is no need to jump to any wild conclusions or conjecture.

Jay's specialty is QBs and its his 2nd year and he still hasn't drafted "his" guy. And fact is many teams (especially WCO) draft a QB to develop somewhere in almost every draft. Andy Reid and Mike Holmgren were masters of the QB pump and dump scheme where they would draft a developmental QB and trade them down the line for more value. Jay wasn't happy with the QB position last year it just seems like good planning to have one of 'his guys' waiting/developing in pipeline.
Quote:
I really don't get the point you are trying to convey. I think this is what your OP and basis for this thread is:
Not trying to convey a point. I was curious as to what most fans/warpath members thought about not drafting QB.

Given: the qb's we have on the roster before the draft aren't likely to be successful. (close, I am not making a prediction on what will happen because I have no idea. But based on what actually happened...)
Belief: we should have used at least one pick on a qb in the draft.
Result: the fact that we didn't was a bad decision by those doing the drafting.
Old 06-09-2015, 04:51 PM   #95
Schneed10
A Dude

Aside from Winston and Mariota who weren't available when we selected, I don't view any QB available in this draft as having an appreciably better chance of becoming a successful starter than any of the 3 guys we already have.

So no. I do not view this as a mistake.

Simple.
Old 06-09-2015, 05:27 PM   #96
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:

Not trying to convey a point. I was curious as to what most fans/warpath members thought about not drafting QB.

Given: the qb's we have on the roster before the draft aren't likely to be successful. (close, I am not making a prediction on what will happen because I have no idea. But based on what actually happened...)
OK. So that was the start of your thread and original question and the vast majority of responses had been registered and disagreed with either your premise or your conclusion that the underlying question seems to have been a fairly resounding no it wasn't a mistake.

Sent from my S6 Edge
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 08:14 PM   #97
Skinzman
The Starter

Quote:

I find it hard to believe that one year of not drafting a QB is an automatic mistake, even with a new coach and no one being his guy. Maybe he had his eye on some QB's but didnt want to reach for them and they were gone by the time our pick came up. You cant force drafting, otherwise you end with a team full of Josh Leribeus type players. Which to me, is a much larger mistake than not reaching for a pick, even if it means you dont get one of that position in the draft.
Skinzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 07:04 AM   #98
30gut
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Aside from Winston and Mariota who weren't available when we selected, I don't view any QB available in this draft as having an appreciably better chance of becoming a successful starter than any of the 3 guys we already have.

So no. I do not view this as a mistake.
Its cool if you don't view passing on QB as mistake. Or should I say its cool if you dont think they should have drafted a QB somewhere. We're just talking here....

It seems to me that"appreciably better chance of becoming a successful starter ~then our guys...." is a pretty lofty measure of success for a draft pick.

Is that your criteria for making a draft selection?
Does everyone of the other draft picks meet this criteria?

My view can be summed up like this: you got to play to win. I also think we should have drafted a TE, out of curiosity what's your thought on not selecting a TE?
Old 06-10-2015, 07:10 AM   #99
30gut
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinzman View Post
Maybe he had his eye on some QB's but didnt want to rejach for them and they were gone by the time our pick came up. You cant force drafting....
We can 'maybe' each other death. Its just as likely that 'maybe' they wanted a QB but miscalculated where the QBs would be available.
Old 06-10-2015, 07:12 AM   #100
30gut
Playmaker

Quote:
OK. So that was the start of your thread and original question and the vast majority of responses had been registered and disagreed with either your premise or your conclusion that the underlying question seems to have been a fairly resounding no it wasn't a mistake.
I missed your point here. People disagree with me? Okay, I'm complete my fine with that.

Was that your point?
Old 06-10-2015, 07:19 AM   #101
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
I missed your point here. People disagree with me? Okay, I'm complete my fine with that.

Was that your point?
Mostly my point was when one person stands and repeats the same line over and over even though no one else agrees he is usually a visionary or a stubborn old man.

Sent from my S6 Edge
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 08:41 AM   #102
30gut
Playmaker

Quote:
Mostly my point was when one person stands and repeats the same line over and over even though no one else agrees he is usually a visionary or a stubborn old man.
I didn't know asking a question and discussing the answers is the same as "standing and repeating the same line..."

But sure, whatevs.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:51 AM   #103
Skinzman
The Starter

Quote:
We can 'maybe' each other death. Its just as likely that 'maybe' they wanted a QB but miscalculated where the QBs would be available.
We are talking about what was going on inside of someone elses head, we have no choice but to deal in maybes.

As far as miscalculating where a pick will go. You rate someone as a 5th round pick, he gets taken in the 3rd round. Using hindsight, that does not mean that you should have picked that player in round 2 (or earlier in round 3 if you pick before the team that took him). The best GM's stay true to their board and pick best available (granted thats taking into account that they are good talent evaluators in the first place).

I would consider a GM taking a player 2 or 3 rounds earlier than he had them rated because he thinks another team is high on that player a bigger mistake than staying true to your board.
Skinzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 10:16 AM   #104
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Its cool if you don't view passing on QB as mistake. Or should I say its cool if you dont think they should have drafted a QB somewhere. We're just talking here....

It seems to me that"appreciably better chance of becoming a successful starter ~then our guys...." is a pretty lofty measure of success for a draft pick.

Is that your criteria for making a draft selection?
Does everyone of the other draft picks meet this criteria?

My view can be summed up like this: you got to play to win. I also think we should have drafted a TE, out of curiosity what's your thought on not selecting a TE?
In general I'm in favor of drafting for BPA, with quarterback being the lone exception, because when you don't have one your chances of doing anything are slim to none.

I think we have 3 QBs all of whom haven't consistently taken off in their careers, but also still have some degree of upside. Even McCoy, who I see as someone who could perform like Alex Smith if he continues to develop over time. So if we were to draft a QB I figure we'd need to cut one of the three (or trade one for below market value). I didn't see anybody in this draft, besides the top two guys, who have significantly more upside than any of our guys. So to me the pick would have been a little bit wasted that way.

Do I apply the same logic to TE? No. QB is different, it's special, I'm OK with drafting for need. If Winston fell to us I would have jumped on it.

I liked all of our picks. We're definitely thin at TE now, but if we hadn't drafted Kouandjio or Jones, just picking them as an example, then I would have said we're thin at RB and G. Wish we had another TE, but I'm glad we got what we got, and wouldn't change it.
Old 06-10-2015, 10:25 AM   #105
Schneed10
A Dude

By the way, the TE conversation really hinges on Reed. If he's healthy then we're fine. If he's not then we're screwed.

Paul is a fine #2, especially at the price. He can keep safeties honest over the middle and outrun his fair share of LBs. And Paulsen is a solid blocker, what more can you ask of your #3 TE who makes min salary.

But if Reed gets hurt again that's where we'll wish we had someone coming up.

Of course if Alfred Morris gets hurt and we didn't have Matt Jones, we'd be in shit shape there. Same thing with Kouandjio - if Long or Lauvao get hurt I'm not in favor of trusting McLeRib.

There's risk at TE but we had so many holes that the name of the game is walking away from the draft with as few risky spots as possible.