Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Chase Young or Three First Round Picks?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 01-29-2020, 10:25 AM   #46
Number44
Special Teams

Re: Chase Young or Three First Round Picks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Nestor View Post
I also like the idea of a trade back if we can get a haul from the dolphins. The thing with taking multiple players as compared to one player you have a better chance of hitting on the players. If we take one player and he gets hurt or turns out to be a bust then this draft was for nothing. If we get the haul that is being talked about then we have an opportunity to draft multiple starters. If one happens to get hurt you still have the others playing and contributing. Here is another possibility. What if the lions decide they want a particular QB and want to trade up one spot to make sure they get the QB they want then the skins could still get Young and get extra picks. It wouldn't be anything like they are describing from the dolphins but it would be extra picks. Just a thought
No chance. We discussed this earlier. Again, if we did that, Detroit would take Young for sure, and we would look foolish. If the Lions wanted a QB - and there has been nothing reported that would indicate that they do - they would have zero reason to trade up one spot, since it is pretty clear that the Redskins aren't looking to pick a QB. The only possible reason the Lions would trade up one spot would be to hoodwink the Redskins and take Young. I don't think RR is that foolhardy.
Number44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-29-2020, 10:37 AM   #47
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Bob View Post
It seems the consensus here is that Tua's injury won't have an effect on his draft position, we shall see. It also seems people have forgot about Josh Rosen, when discussing Miami trading up to snag Tua. Quite a few here wanted the Redskins to get him.
There is a reason people forgot about Josh Rosen. Through 2 years, he's shown zero improvement and essentially lost his job twice to both Kyler Murray and Ryan Fitzmagic. In a lost season, Miami had every reason to stick with Rosen to see what they had before going into this year's draft. They decided they had seen enough. Rosen is a backup and not part of the equation.

As for those of us who wanted Rosen, it was less about Rosen himself and more about not wanting the Skins to trade UP to get Haskins (or even take him at 15).
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 10:55 AM   #48
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
The combine will tell a lot about Tua's injury. If he doesn't participate that is not a good sign for him. I still don't see Miami trading up all that for 3 spots..

Plenty of top QB prospects don’t do much at the combine anyway, he’ll have his pro day to prove he can throw in shorts in what amounts to a scripted practice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-29-2020, 11:14 AM   #49
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Plenty of top QB prospects don’t do much at the combine anyway, he’ll have his pro day to prove he can throw in shorts in what amounts to a scripted practice

Those always crack me up
Old 01-29-2020, 01:21 PM   #50
skinsfanmdc
Camp Scrub

Chase Young..

Last edited by skinsfanmdc; 01-29-2020 at 02:34 PM.
skinsfanmdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 01:36 PM   #51
skinsfanmdc
Camp Scrub

"For those in favor of drafting Young... Pre Bosa, Niners 21st on 3rd down; allowed 108.5 passer rating in 4 man rushes. since Bosa: 2nd on 3rd down; 83.0 passer rating in 4 man rush. ...Redskins mirrored the 49ers' decline, can they follow their rise?"
https://www.espn.com/blog/washington...ost/_/id/39534
Old 01-29-2020, 03:45 PM   #52
NYCskinfan82
Playmaker

I say take CY. But what if Detroit offer this years 1st and 2nd and their next two 1st round picks and they tell you they are taking CY do you make the trade?
NYCskinfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 04:41 PM   #53
skinsfanmdc
Camp Scrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCskinfan82 View Post
I say take CY. But what if Detroit offer this years 1st and 2nd and their next two 1st round picks and they tell you they are taking CY do you make the trade?
They wanna trade down....
Old 01-29-2020, 06:27 PM   #54
Warthog
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCskinfan82 View Post

In your Detroit scenario you could take Isaiah Simmons , who is an elite LB, with the #3. LB is a position of more need for the ‘skins than Edge and Chase Young. Then in the second round you take either a very good WR or OT who most likely would be a starter. The two first’s for the next two years are interesting but not enough to make the Redskins bite. Why not?

Chase Young has an immediate and huge benefit to the defense right away. Any trade down scenario has to have enough picks THIS SEASON to make a similar benefit to the Redskins. In a realistic Miami trade, let’s say for their #5, #18 and their second rounder, plus a first rounder in 2021; the Redskins could get Isaiah Simmons (LB) or Andrew Thomas (OT) with the #5 both positions where we have a large need AND these guys are elite. Then with the #18 and second rounder you get two good or very good starters, also in positions of need, like CB or FS or LB/OL (depending on how you used the #5).

Like has been said, you might get 3 starters or maybe two with three high picks versus Chase as a superstar or if he’s over-rated than a guy who might be injury-probe or just good versus elite.

BL - the only trade down must give the Redskins high draft picks THIS season:

1. Something like Miami’s #5,#18 and a second (and next year’s first)

2. Miami’s #5, #18 and their #26

3. Some other team’s pretty much EVERYTHING: first, second, third, fourth, fifth and maybe next year’s first. Something like that. You get a cornucopia of picks, combined with our picks gets you (with Kyle Smith’s genius) 4-6 starters , with maybe one or two very good or superstars. Fills all the holes with young, cheap, motivated players.

Flyboy.

"Land of the Free and Home of the Brave"
Warthog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 08:14 PM   #55
skinsfanmdc
Camp Scrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthog View Post
In your Detroit scenario you could take Isaiah Simmons , who is an elite LB, with the #3. LB is a position of more need for the ‘skins than Edge and Chase Young. Then in the second round you take either a very good WR or OT who most likely would be a starter. The two first’s for the next two years are interesting but not enough to make the Redskins bite. Why not?

Chase Young has an immediate and huge benefit to the defense right away. Any trade down scenario has to have enough picks THIS SEASON to make a similar benefit to the Redskins. In a realistic Miami trade, let’s say for their #5, #18 and their second rounder, plus a first rounder in 2021; the Redskins could get Isaiah Simmons (LB) or Andrew Thomas (OT) with the #5 both positions where we have a large need AND these guys are elite. Then with the #18 and second rounder you get two good or very good starters, also in positions of need, like CB or FS or LB/OL (depending on how you used the #5).

Like has been said, you might get 3 starters or maybe two with three high picks versus Chase as a superstar or if he’s over-rated than a guy who might be injury-probe or just good versus elite.

BL - the only trade down must give the Redskins high draft picks THIS season:

1. Something like Miami’s #5,#18 and a second (and next year’s first)

2. Miami’s #5, #18 and their #26

3. Some other team’s pretty much EVERYTHING: first, second, third, fourth, fifth and maybe next year’s first. Something like that. You get a cornucopia of picks, combined with our picks gets you (with Kyle Smith’s genius) 4-6 starters , with maybe one or two very good or superstars. Fills all the holes with young, cheap, motivated players.

Young cheap and motivated, the redskins need playmakers.
Old 01-29-2020, 08:45 PM   #56
Meks
Pro Bowl

Between the core group of true football players who are already motivated, and the new coaching staff, I don't think anyone that comes here isn't going to drink the Kool aid, let's wait and see what's offered but it is indeed a tough call. ..

Look at a similar situation in the 2011 draft, where von Miller went #2 overall .... That first round was ripe with studs and duds littered all over... Our own Ryan kerrigan was #16 ... J.J. Watt was chosen, Nate Solder, AJ Green etc... So the question is ... Now obviously Miller isn't young and vice versa, and no one can tell the future, but if Denver was offered the same trade options we are talking about, do they still win the SB without that years SB MVP and taking 2 or 3 of the other players listed?

It's kinda like the games in general, that's why they play them.
R.I.P #21SEAN TAYLOR
Meks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 09:41 PM   #57
Warthog
The Starter

Chase Young or Three First Round Picks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfanmdc View Post
Young cheap and motivated, the redskins need playmakers.

Also, the rookies in a big trade-down would be good and certainly better then what’s there now. A couple of these rookies will be very good and maybe one or two might even be excellent or outstanding (like 2019’s McLaurin and Holcomb). So in the scenario with a Ditka-type trade where you get 5-6 EXTRA draft picks this season, AND if Kyle Smith has another outstanding draft, then you’re filling almost all the holes with quality players AND building depth.

Having real depth is something the Redskins haven’t EVER had in the Snyder era. Having a team with young players means less injuries. Filling holes and getting depth with rookies continues to change this team from old, tired, under-performing and often hurt FA to the exact opposite type of team!

Snyder tried for 2 decades to buy a winning team with FA. Never worked. If RR took a BIG trade-down and we got lots of extra picks and added 4-6 STARTERS, then this would take the pressure off trying to fill holes with FA. By not having to fill so many holes with FA, then you can spend more per FA hired. For instance, we might be able afford a top $$ FA at TE - Henry or Hooper. Wouldn’t it be exciting to be able to buy an expensive and talented burner like Amari Cooper to work alongside McLaurin? Be able to afford Scherff AND Trent Williams?

I’d love to see Chase Young working opposite Sweat, along with Allen, Payne and Ionnidas. That combo might be the best EDGE’s the Redskins have ever seen - maybe even better then Mann and Manley!

But if we were offered a King’s Ransom, it could change the team quickly and thoroughly , THIS SEASON. If it’s good enough, the team has to consider it, no matter how much we want Chase Young.

Flyboy.

"Land of the Free and Home of the Brave"

Last edited by Warthog; 01-30-2020 at 06:44 PM.
Warthog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 10:34 PM   #58
Meks
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthog View Post
Also, the rookies in a big trade-down would be good and certainly better then what’s there now. A couple of these rookies will be very good and maybe one or two might even be excellent or outstanding (like 2019’s McLaurin and Dunbar). So in the scenario with a Ditka-type trade where you get 5-6 EXTRA draft picks this season AND if Kyle Smith has another outstanding draft, then you’re filling almost all the holes with quality players AND building depth.

Having real depth is something the Redskins haven’t EVER had in the Snyder era. Having a team with young players means less injuries. Filling holes and getting depth with rookies continues to change this team from old, tired, under-performing and often hurt FA to the exact opposite type of team!

Snyder tried for 2 decades to buy a winning team with FA. Never worked. If RR took a BIG trade-down and we got lots of extra picks and added 4-6 STARTERS, then this would take the pressure off trying to fill holes with FA. By not having to fill so many holes with FA, then you can spend more per FA hired. For instance, we might be able afford a top $$ FA at TE - Henry or Hooper. Wouldn’t it be exciting to be able to buy an expensive and talented burner like Amari Cooper to work alongside McLaurin? Be able to afford Scherff AND Trent Williams?

I’d love to see Chase Young working opposite Sweat, along with Allen, Payne and Ionnidas. That combo might be the best EDGE’s the Redskins have ever seen - maybe even better then Mann and Manley!

But if we were offered a King’s Ransom, it could change the team quickly and thoroughly , THIS SEASON. If it’s good enough, the team has to consider it, no matter how much we want Chase Young.

I had to stop there cuz bolding shit on the phone is a pain .... Dunbar wasnt a rookie this year lol, we are very likely NOT to get 5-6 extra picks this year for our #2 ... And younger doesn't mean less injured, see: guice, reed and well ... All the other history throughout the league ..

Agree we are not going to build a winner via FA, 20 near years of that never worked...

W.ever happens happens. But the fact is no one can know until it does. See my above post and ask yourself, does Denver still win that super bowl if they take the "Kings ransom" ?

Food for thought.
R.I.P #21SEAN TAYLOR
Old 01-29-2020, 10:52 PM   #59
SkinzWin
Playmaker

No other potential draft pick has a nickname even close to “The Predator”. Case closed.
Sean Taylor #21 a Redskin forever...

Team Heinicke Fan Club
punch it in - CEO
SkinzWin - President
FrenchSkin - VP of Global Operations
ODUsmitty - Director of Cheerleader Fulfillment
Meks - Director of Marketing
SkinzWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 01:44 AM   #60
Meks
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinzWin View Post
No other potential draft pick has a nickname even close to “The Predator”. Case closed.
It's my favorite movie of all time.. I'm of course in on this dude being a Redskin for life lol
R.I.P #21SEAN TAYLOR