Mack to the Bears.........

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-02-2018, 10:25 AM   #16
ethat001
Impact Rookie

Re: Mack to the Bears.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
It continues to frustrate me how few of you understand the salary cap. Before acquiring Mack the Bears had 25M in salary cap space, and even with Mack’s huge salary on the books in 2019, they still project to have $25M.

They’ll miss the picks. But their cap situation is such that signing Mack is not going to cost them any opportunities to make moves.

It’s like you guys think every team is spending to the cap every year and thus can’t afford to sign a stud player. It’s just not true.

You can argue that two firsts is too much but don’t give me the salary cap bullshit until you have the facts straight.
This is a convoluted answer. Are you somehow trying to argue the point that $141 million dollars doesn't matter for the salary cap for the next 6-8 years? And it won't matter at all regarding FA player acquisitions and player retention? Yes, you can adjust salary cap hits in any given year, but ultimately over the next 8 years they have a defined salary cap, and he's going to be using around 15% of that. Not to mention at ages 27-33 he will be more injury prone than ages 21-27. I can't see this deal being worth it for the Bears, but who knows.

For Oakland, seems like move has some risk but they save that salary cap & will have two first rounders, and 5 picks in top 3 rounds in the next two years. If they can draft well, this can help their team for years and they are assuming they already have a franchise QB.
ethat001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-02-2018, 10:41 AM   #17
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethat001 View Post
This is a convoluted answer. Are you somehow trying to argue the point that $141 million dollars doesn't matter for the salary cap for the next 6-8 years? And it won't matter at all regarding FA player acquisitions and player retention? Yes, you can adjust salary cap hits in any given year, but ultimately over the next 8 years they have a defined salary cap, and he's going to be using around 15% of that. Not to mention at ages 27-33 he will be more injury prone than ages 21-27. I can't see this deal being worth it for the Bears, but who knows.

For Oakland, seems like move has some risk but they save that salary cap & will have two first rounders, and 5 picks in top 3 rounds in the next two years. If they can draft well, this can help their team for years and they are assuming they already have a franchise QB.
Understand that their qb is on a rookie contract. That means their percentage for qb is extremely low, in addition most of their expected stars are also on low contracts for the next 3-4 years. In terms of Mack's contract, that means his salary cap hit will be minimized until the new cba, at which all bets are off anyways
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 12:02 PM   #18
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Great move for Da bears. Mack is the 2nd best Defensive player in football. Best Edge rusher. Oakland is crazy and will suffer this big time . Jon is a damn fool
Old 09-02-2018, 12:57 PM   #19
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
It continues to frustrate me how few of you understand the salary cap. Before acquiring Mack the Bears had 25M in salary cap space, and even with Mack’s huge salary on the books in 2019, they still project to have $25M.

They’ll miss the picks. But their cap situation is such that signing Mack is not going to cost them any opportunities to make moves.

It’s like you guys think every team is spending to the cap every year and thus can’t afford to sign a stud player. It’s just not true.

You can argue that two firsts is too much but don’t give me the salary cap bullshit until you have the facts straight.

I just reread the comments prior to yours. Who is making the argument that his salary or their cap is an issue?
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 01:29 PM   #20
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
I just reread the comments prior to yours. Who is making the argument that his salary or their cap is an issue?
Yours in post 7 and Chico’s in 11
Old 09-02-2018, 01:54 PM   #21
MTK
\m/

Mack is a baller, good for the Bears they got a cornerstone defensive player and the Raiders got some nice compensation in return.
Old 09-02-2018, 04:17 PM   #22
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
Bears also getting a 2nd rounder and a 5th.

To recap day:

Bears get: Khalil Mack, a 2020 second-round round pick and a conditional 2020 fifth-round pick.

Raiders get: 2019 first-round pick, 2020 first-round pick, 2020 third-round pick, 2019 sixth-round pick.

Mack gets 6-year, $141 million extension, including $90M gtd.
He will never live up to that amount of money. The Bears are just hard up and grasping or maybe want to get their fans excited. Mack isn't Lawrence Taylor last time I checked. I believe the last few years Kerrigan has more sacks than Mack.

Also... obviously Gruden looked at the tape and didn't think Mack was worth the money he was asking for. Good for the Raiders for showing some fiscal responsibility.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 04:29 PM   #23
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

What would u rather have?

First round picks (2) that are generally hit or miss, or... A 27YO great Edge rusher and run stopper?

Mack will live up to the deal, he will be great for another 4-5 years.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 09-02-2018, 06:15 PM   #24
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
I don’t think it’s a cap issue...I posted in another thread previous to that post that the bears have the cap with no high paid players at skill positions...so they got the money.

I’m looking at overall value....large contract versus what they gave up.

This reminds me of Suh in Miami...without the compensation of draft picks obviously.

I love Mack the player...2016 defense POY. We shall see how it works out. I’m just baffled Raiders let him get away and didn’t have a strategy of keeping him.
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 08:00 PM   #25
OmahaRedskins
Impact Rookie

I get why the Raiders made the deal. They are more than one player away from the playoffs and can use the extra picks.

I do not understand why the Bears making the deal. They are further away then the Raiders and will need the picks. They can afford the contract because they do not have any other max players.
OmahaRedskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 08:22 PM   #26
DYoungJelly
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
I don’t think it’s a cap issue...I posted in another thread previous to that post that the bears have the cap with no high paid players at skill positions...so they got the money.

I’m looking at overall value....large contract versus what they gave up.

This reminds me of Suh in Miami...without the compensation of draft picks obviously.

I love Mack the player...2016 defense POY. We shall see how it works out. I’m just baffled Raiders let him get away and didn’t have a strategy of keeping him.
Totally agree. He is a really good player but darn, giving up two 1st round picks to pay a non-QB 10 to 14 percent of the cap for the next 4 years is a huge huge risk.

Was 2017 a down year for him? He wasn't an all pro, but is getting all pro money.

All of that, while the QB position is a question mark. Who knows what Mitch T will be at this point.

This has the same vibe as RGIII. It may work out but darn, that's a huge risk at a huge cost.
Old 09-02-2018, 08:35 PM   #27
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by DYoungJelly View Post
Totally agree. He is a really good player but darn, giving up two 1st round picks to pay a non-QB 10 to 14 percent of the cap for the next 4 years is a huge huge risk.

Was 2017 a down year for him? He wasn't an all pro, but is getting all pro money.

All of that, while the QB position is a question mark. Who knows what Mitch T will be at this point.

This has the same vibe as RGIII. It may work out but darn, that's a huge risk at a huge cost.
Pretty much. You give up multiple first picks for a qb....we will see how this works. Chicago defense will improve, but it will not carry the team.

Mitch Trubisky was terrible in college and I find it hard to believe he will turn into a good player. Maybe Nagy schemes it up and elevates dudes play...he’s pretty smart guy.
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 01:19 AM   #28
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
I didn't mention one thing about the salary cap. I simply stated that they also had to pay 22 mil/yr on top of the two 1st round draft picks. I'm quite aware the Bears salary cap isn't an issue. Stop reading into something that isn't there. If anything, I'm supportive of the move considering the QBs in their division.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 09:16 AM   #29
mredskins
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DYoungJelly View Post

My thoughts exactly. The bears have been loose cannons of late. This and the Mitch trade will define them for the next decade. Good luck bears.
Old 09-03-2018, 07:17 PM   #30
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:

To me it doesn't come down to cap knowledge. It comes down to is he worth that money plus the loss of draft picks? I say there is no way he is worth it, regardless of where the Bears are on their cap.

Let's not pretend that all of us have seen a lot of Mack. But from what I saw when he played us, for the most part Moses handled him pretty well. He didn't dominate the game by any means. Sure really good player but not worth 90 million. No way.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote